Sizzler USA files for bankruptcy

webfact

25 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I'll take your word for it. Apparently, it's not what I find in Rimping.

Interestingly, I love lamb too. But your aversion to too fatty US beef is my aversion when it comes to down under lamb: Its "excess marbling" completely wipes out my barbecue with fat residue. Maybe this is how you guys like it.

The US came late to lamb. I never saw it growing up in the 50's, as our servicemen from the War were served mutton in the Pacific -- and this left, literally, a bad taste in their mouths. Fortunately, the US learned to love lamb, albeit of the lean variety. Of course, you have to have mint sauce to complete the package.....

Ummm. Getting hungry.

Lamb is one of the foods prohibited for me. I have a bile duct sludge problem, so it's off limits as too fatty. Lamb has a naturally high fat content, unfortunately.

Mutton is abominable, has to be boiled to death before one can chew it. Perhaps that's where the US developed its aversion to sheepherders.

Rabbit is about the leanest meat around. Before calcivirus killed off most of the rabbits in Australia, if one was eating chicken chow mein at a Chinese restaurant in inland Australia, odds were pretty good it was actually rabbit. During the Great Depression there, families actually developed fat deficiency from eating too much rabbit.

I don't think any Gippsland eye fillet is exported. It would be sacrilege to freeze it.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, The Theory said:

Are you a share holder ? Perhaps you are an everyday customer. ????????

it won't change anything anyway. They will close soon. Look for an alternative. 
good luck.

As was earlier pointed out, Swensen's failed in the USA a long time ago. It's still going strong in Thailand. What makes you think that this case is necessarily different?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:26 PM, Berkshire said:

Not a valid comparison.  Sizzler in the US had many competitors, most offering superior products with competitive pricing.  Sizzler in Thailand is unique and reasonably priced.  And everybody loves their salad bar.  I do hope Sizzler Thailand continues to thrive. 

Sure is a valid comparison.  What you are saying is that Sizzler isn't that great in the USA because there are better competitors.  Here in Thailand there is less competition so they can churn out the same quality as in the USA but do better because of little competition.  The end product is still the same, just kind of mediocre.    

3 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Sure is a valid comparison.  What you are saying is that Sizzler isn't that great in the USA because there are better competitors.  Here in Thailand there is less competition so they can churn out the same quality as in the USA but do better because of little competition.  The end product is still the same, just kind of mediocre.    

The place that bugs me in USA is the Subway sub shops.  They seem to do well with absolute <deleted>, I can't even get a good cheese sub.  Not even sure if it's actually cheese.

But I was spoiled by local Mom & Pop joints in New Jersey and Pennsylvania that had good pizza, subs and sandwiches.  The kind of places where their kids would sit and do their school homework at a spare table when it wasn't busy.  One local proprietor insisted that I couldn't move to a new job in another state, LOL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You've completely missed the point.  The reason Sizzler doesn't have much competition in Thailand is because there isn't a huge market for "American food."  Perhaps you need someone to explain to you that in Thailand, the Thais prefer Thai food.  Sizzler Thailand does just fine in the little niche market that they occupy.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You've completely missed the point.  The reason Sizzler doesn't have much competition in Thailand is because there isn't a huge market for "American food."  Perhaps you need someone to explain to you that in Thailand, the Thais prefer Thai food.  Sizzler Thailand does just fine in the little niche market that they occupy.

Sizzlers, Pattaya is most popular with Thais. Likewise KFC, Swensens and McDonalds. Thats why those young Thai girls are so bloody fat.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Nah, you just don't get it.  Sure Thais prefer Thai food.  They also seem to enjoy American fast food as well.  There actually is quite a big market for "American Food".  Have you ever noticed how many McDonalds there are in Thailand?  Maybe not, but that's ok.  However, that's not the question.  Sizzler is just kind of mediocre but the Thais are fine with that.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, mackayae said:

Sizzler Thailand is owned by the Minor Group which is a Thai company. Will not be affected by the US bankruptcy.

Well they are not doing to well in Australia there is only 9 left

and I am not surprised I gave up on Sizzler many years ago.

That announcement leaves just 9 Sizzler restaurants remaining in Australia: Caboolture, Loganholme, Maroochydore, Mermaid Beach, and Toowoomba in Queensland, Innaloo, Kelmscott, and Morley over in WA, and Campbelltown as the lone remaining Sizzler in New South Wales

On 9/28/2020 at 12:35 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well they are not doing to well in Australia there is only 9 left

and I am not surprised I gave up on Sizzler many years ago.

That announcement leaves just 9 Sizzler restaurants remaining in Australia: Caboolture, Loganholme, Maroochydore, Mermaid Beach, and Toowoomba in Queensland, Innaloo, Kelmscott, and Morley over in WA, and Campbelltown as the lone remaining Sizzler in New South Wales

Just to bring you up to speed even though your already in Australia and not Thailand. ....  they are all closing permanently next month.  

Edited by steven100

On 9/27/2020 at 6:39 AM, Berkshire said:

Tell that to KFC

35 minutes ago, mthomsen111 said:
On 9/27/2020 at 6:39 AM, Berkshire said:

Tell that to KFC

Geez man, what the heck is wrong with you guys?  I know there are a number of American food outlets in Thailand, including McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King, etc.  Do you think there's more of them than Thai restaurants?  It's not even close.  That's the point.  In terms of foreign food, it seems the Thais prefer Japanese over all others.  At least in Chiang Mai.  But even then, it's no where close to the number of Thai food outlets. 

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Geez man, what the heck is wrong with you guys?  I know there are a number of American food outlets in Thailand, including McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King, etc.  Do you think there's more of them than Thai restaurants?  It's not even close.  That's the point.  In terms of foreign food, it seems the Thais prefer Japanese over all others.  At least in Chiang Mai.  But even then, it's no where close to the number of Thai food outlets. 

And there is no where near as many Sizzler's in the US as there are Taco Bells...

Sizzler does well here for the same reason McD's & KFC do well here and most everywhere else, consistency. 

You want to compare the total number of individual Thai restaurants with foreign chain restaurants.

Are there any large Thai based chain restaurants?