BANGKOK
hoyism

Still allowed to re-enter on retirement visa?

I'm asking for a friend who's currently in UK, has a retirement visa, wants to come to Thailand. 

Is it still possible? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Not possible.

I realize his extension is based on retirement.

Does he happen to be married to a Thai? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

take a special flight arranged by the Embassy (for which there may be a long wait)  

A friend of mine is in the UK though qualified to return was advised a few days ago that only 50 foreigners are permitted on each repatriation flight, and that there are 3,000 on the waiting list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

A friend of mine is in the UK though qualified to return was advised a few days ago that only 50 foreigners are permitted on each repatriation flight, and that there are 3,000 on the waiting list.

Looks like those special tourist visas are going to be oversubscribed.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is another option now for those that are not Thai. Emirates are flying from Dubai to Bangkok and those with a certificate of entry and etc can arrange and return to here on them.

We should hang the flags out if that's correct, finally a sign of progress in the right direction. I wonder if other airlines will be allowed to do something similar in due course?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If not married to a Thai then currently no way.

If he is married to (or parent of) a Thai, he will have to show proof of health insurance, a negative COVID test 72 hours or less before departure, take a special flight arranged by the Embassy (for which there may be a long wait)  and undergo 14 days quarantine on arrival in an approved facility at his own expense (40k on up).

Sheryl, my Thai partner is in Japan and wants to return to Thailand at the end of October. I understand from reading TV over the last few days that she does not need a COVID test, that she must quarantine for 14 days in a government facility. 

Will she need to be on a repatriation flight? Or can she fly on a JAL flight for which she has a return ticket?

Thanks 

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

Currently not

exactly,got a friend in Canada,his retirement extension ( had it since 2003) expires Oct 4th>
cant get back

only ( affordable) option is WAIT till thailand opens and start over

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Guderian said:

We should hang the flags out if that's correct, finally a sign of progress in the right direction. I wonder if other airlines will be allowed to do something similar in due course?

Info is here on the Dubai consulate website. https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/content/emirates-airline-has-been-approved-by-the-caat-to?cate=5d663d7d15e39c3a380001ca

The infographic on that page has this on it.

image.png.6b5e763e10b807fed97fee4101af658a.png

• Like 2

My friend just arrived in Bangkok from UK on Monday to do the 14 day quarantine. 

It has taken him months to get everything sorted and on to a return flight.

Hotel in Bangkok 77k !!!

• Like 1

The way is shut. It was made by immigration, and Immigration keeps it, until the time comes. The way is shut.

With apologies to JRR Tolkien.

• Thanks 1