I am looking to buy a new scooter and at first considered the semi-automatic versions (Wave, Finn, etc) and decided on the Wave 110i.  However, upon reading some other threads about ABS breaking it makes me wonder are the brakes on a semi-automatic like a Wave good enough particularly in wet conditions which does concern me.  

Can any experts on here give me the pros and cons on the braking system based on personal experience of driving a Wave vs an Aerox/Click for example and also a model that has ABS (as Aerox only has ABS on the top model)   My initial choice of a Wave now might have to be modified as I'm concerned about road safety.  Currently I won a 125 Click in Chiang Mai and it will be for city driving.

I have also read recommendations from members here saying it's good to change the standard tyres for ones with better grip such as the michellin street pilot.

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely go with the ABS and the Michelin street tires! I have ridden my whole life and never gone down until recently when I turned into a soi a little fast and hit some sand while on the brakes. I

Definitely go with ABS...     Experienced motorcyclists will claim that no ABS is better which is absolute tosh when riding in a city with slippy surfaces and unpredictable traffic.   

ABS wont help with loosing grip on sand or oil whilst cornering  it can only help to stop the wheel from locking up and sliding whilst braking  ABS allows the wheel to continue rotating in small steps

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, stament said:

what about normal brakes vs foot brake e.g. on click vs wave?  Is the click rear foot brake more effective?

Many bikes are different. 

Some Automatic bikes have ‘unify system’ (I think they are called) where the the right hand brake handle apples the brakes to both the front and the rear wheels and the left handle to just the front wheel. 

IMO this is a good system for new riders, especially when combined with ABS in busy unpredictable traffic. 

When riding a regular motorcycle around Bangkok I don’t use the rear brake a whole lot. 

Brakes are servo assisted and designed specifically for hand pressure or foot pressure - thus neither hand or foot braking is more effective than the other.  

IMO you would be best advised to concentrate on ensuring you have ABS and good tires. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many bikes are different. 

Some Automatic bikes have ‘unify system’ (I think they are called) where the the right hand brake handle apples the brakes to both the front and the rear wheels and the left handle to just the front wheel. 

IMO this is a good system for new riders, especially when combined with ABS in busy unpredictable traffic. 

When riding a regular motorcycle around Bangkok I don’t use the rear brake a whole lot. 

Brakes are servo assisted and designed specifically for hand pressure or foot pressure - thus neither hand or foot braking is more effective than the other.  

IMO you would be best advised to concentrate on ensuring you have ABS and good tires. 

Is he unity system you refer to the same as the combi system on my click I assume?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stament said:

Is he unity system you refer to the same as the combi system on my click I assume?

Yes, different manufacturers have different names - ultimately it is used with fully automatic scooters and is combined system where one handle (usually the right) applies the brake to both the front and rear wheels, and the left to just the front wheel.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, stament said:

I have also read recommendations from members here saying it's good to change the standard tyres for ones with better grip such as the michellin street pilot.

yes. the difference for me on a click was dramatic replacing IRC.

1 hour ago, stament said:

I am looking to buy a new scooter and at first considered the semi-automatic versions (Wave, Finn, etc) and decided on the Wave 110i.

is this just a monetary decision?

Edited by NCC1701A

I have the 125i Click which has CBS (combined braking system), right brake is front, left brake is about 30% front 70% back. Brakes work fine for me but you should train yourself to automatically go for the left brake to start with in an emergency stop. My instinct (and many others) is to use the right, which is the back brake on my road bike. If you grab the right brake the front wheel locks and the bike goes down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes. the difference for me on a click was dramatic replacing IRC.

is this just a monetary decision?

Not really a monetary decision alone no.  I actually didn't used to like the look of Waves, etc many years ago and purchased an Airblade.  We still have that but also have a Click.  I was looking for a semi-automatic as better with hills than scooters as sometimes I do go up hills although not that often.  

Safety is a key for me though and 90% of my driving will be in town so thinking maybe the Aerox ABS.  I don't want a manual clutch motorbike.  A couple of times I've lost grip on my Click with some small sprinklings of dirt/sand on the road when going round a corner.  Thinking the Aerox ABS will be better.  I also don't want anything bigger than an Aerox like a PCX, etc.

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have the 125i Click which has CBS (combined braking system), right brake is front, left brake is about 30% front 70% back. Brakes work fine for me but you should train yourself to automatically go for the left brake to start with in an emergency stop. My instinct (and many others) is to use the right, which is the back brake on my road bike. If you grab the right brake the front wheel locks and the bike goes down

That's what I have on my current Click.

Good brakes are the most important aspect of any decision to buy a bike. I had a NMAX, twin discs and ABS great brakes. Now have an Aerox with ABS. A must have for riding in Thailand.

• Haha 1

I personally don't care much about ABS on my scooters but its a must on my big bikes.

When we bought a new scooter for my wife last year, I paid a couple of thousand more for a model with ABS front brake because she is not a very skilled rider but more a user type of biker for picking up food and stuff.

It's a personal thing if you feel you need it or not and experience/skill.

58 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I would say it's just a matter of taste. Imho drum brakes always suck, doesn't matter if you apply them by hand of by foot.

Having a rear disc brake would of course be a plus. But the rear brake is not really important, because most braking (80% or so) is done with the front anyway.

Interesting, I only use my back brake, the front brake is for panic stops. Which I don't have, because I drive within my limitations and am always assessing threats ahead on the road. On a scooter for 9 years in Thailand accident-free.

Can you tell me why most of the braking is done on the front? I know that's what happens in cars, but one has the option on a scooter. Why would it be better to brake on the front?

• Like 1