New Scooter Advice

stament

6 hours ago, stament said:

My two penneth....  Still no nearer to making a decision.  Think I will test drive the Aerox as a bit concerned about leg room from what I've read.

I am 190 cm ( 6'4") and i have an Aerox non abs, amongst others,  and she is a little ripper and i don't have any problems with room on the bike.

Test ride one or rent one for a day or two and get a feel for it before you decide.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, moose7117 said:
6 hours ago, stament said:

My two penneth....  Still no nearer to making a decision.  Think I will test drive the Aerox as a bit concerned about leg room from what I've read.

18 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

I am 190 cm ( 6'4") and i have an Aerox non abs, amongst others,  and she is a little ripper and i don't have any problems with room on the bike.

Test ride one or rent one for a day or two and get a feel for it before you decide.

You won't regret buying an Aerox. They're a great machine and there is no problem with leg room. I've no idea how that story got about. One slight issue is that they are not a step through, so unlike your Click, you have to 'climb aboard'.

Although you say you mainly do city riding, for which they are great, they're also good out of town as well. I regularly do mini tours out in the Issan countryside and even up in the hills near Sakon Nakhon. I've had no problem with the brakes on downhill stretches, even some lengthy ones, so being an auto is not a handicap.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

One slight issue is that they are not a step through, so unlike your Click, you have to 'climb aboard'.

This is the number one reason why I chose a Click. I would love to have ABS breaking; however, I feel much more comfortable riding the Click. More room for groceries too.

36 minutes ago, farang51 said:

This is the number one reason why I chose a Click. I would love to have ABS breaking; however, I feel much more comfortable riding the Click. More room for groceries too.

That's why we kept the Click! It's a great load lugger.

7 hours ago, stament said:

Yes I know LOL.  I inititally wanted a semi-automatic but then was put off a bit by the lack of ABS and combi brakes plus they don't have the idling which is only a minor consideration.

I don't like the auto idling stop thing on the Click so I've had it switched off for a year+, it's dangerous, for example you are about to turn right on a busy road, while you wait for a gap in the traffic, just as you pull throttle it cuts out and delays you moving or worse still you are in the middle of the lane with fast vehicles approaching, good luck with that

Edited by scubascuba3

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

To my recollection, I've only had to do a full on emergency braking twice. The first was in Cyprus back in the 70s when a car pulled up sharply in front of me. I hit the brakes and promptly went B over A! Fortunately there was no damage or injury.

The second one was earlier this year when I got squeezed too close to parked cars by an impatient pick up driver and then a car door was opened in front of me. Once again it was full on braking, but this time I was on my Aerox 155 ABS and I came to a very quick, very controlled straight line halt. No drama at all.

The point about emergency braking is that you can go out to a quiet place and practice all you want, but when you're doing that it does not simulate the 'fight or flight' adrenaline rush that a real emergency creates and that's when you just grab the levers as hard as you can before you even think about it.

I was a bit skeptical about spending the extra on ABS when I bought the Aerox, but not any more.

India i notice, has now made ABS mandatory on all new motorcycles. I would like to see it here as well.

I had a dog run out in front of me on Sukhumvit a few days ago, emergency braking worked well and luckily the dog picked up speed at the right time, but I'm considering whether ploughing straight through might have been better rather than the instability of hitting a dog at low speed. Anyone worked out what's best for your life? rather than the dog. Remember even if you emergency stop really well you could still get killed from behind

Edited by scubascuba3

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't like the auto idling stop thing on the Click so I've had it switched off for a year+, it's dangerous, for example you are about to turn right on a busy road, while you wait for a gap in the traffic, just as you pull throttle it cuts out and delays you moving or worse still you are in the middle of the lane with fast vehicles approaching, good luck with that

I have never experienced that. It always turns on very fast, sometimes too fast as you can see below.

The idling can be sort of dangerous. A few years ago in Patong, a person suddenly crossed the street, and in trying to brake and avoid him, I went down. Slow speed, so I only a scrabbed a knee. However, when I got on my feet and grabbed the handles to pull the bike away from the traffic, it was idling making me forget it was on, so the motor turned on, the bike accelerated and dragged me down to scrab the other knee too. ????????

Edited by farang51
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a dog run out in front of me on Sukhumvit a few days ago, emergency braking worked well and luckily the dog picked up speed at the right time, but I'm considering whether ploughing straight through might have been better rather than the instability of hitting a dog at low speed. Anyone worked out what's best for your life? rather than the dog. Remember even if you emergency stop really well you could still get killed from behind

Dog will take your front wheel right out from under you.

Been there, done that ..... dog died, me and the misses survived with road rash.

• Like 1

Just had a near miss !!!

A family of three on their scooter riding down the pavement towards me. I was on the inside lane of a 3 lane Petchaburi rd in Bangkok  (3 lanes in each direction with a central divide) about 50m before my junction to turn left

The tool on with his wife and kid on the bike simply rode off the pavement and very nearly straight into me. 

I had to swerve to avoid him. Fortunately, I’d been scanning my mirrors for what was behind me (nothing luckily) but no time for a shoulder check to be sure. 

These absolute a$$hats need shooting. 

Thanks ABS - I had to brake and swerve at the same time, roads are polished. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I have never experienced that. It always turns on very fast, sometimes too fast as you can see below.

For me it's not the speed it turns on it's when it decides to turn off I.e. the split second you decide to cross a lane of fast vehicles approaching 

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been there, done that ..... dog died, me and the misses survived with road rash.

Happened to Me too ????

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

the same, I was told by people that the Aerox would be "way too small" for tall people but I had one for a long time and had no issues, i hit my knee on the side box once or twice but it was my fault

but I'm sure that if it was true for them then it was their weight that was the issue as they might have slid forward more or have chunky legs.

Aerox is a wonderful choice.

btw, I'm 6'3" at 191cm so your conversion is a bit off. (193cm is 6"4)

I only had one panic braking episode on my Suzuki 125 enduro.  Two kids on an old Wave cut straight across the highway at a T intersection.  They were hidden by a big truck waiting to turn.  No problem with locking up the drum brakes with me and a huge sack of charcoal on board.  Hitting them broadside was much more effective in stopping the bike.  I flew over the handlebars like Superman and slowed down when I belly flopped on the ditch bank.  No significant damage.  Next day I was sore all over.  I was fairly tough when I was 24. :cheesy:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I hate scooters but if I had to ride one, I would get one of those. 

5D166A93-1A44-4262-BD71-440B2AD404AB.jpeg

I had the TriCity 155cc ABS - IMO it was the perfect city bike, especially when conditions got a little wet and slippy.

People don’t like the look of them and then comment they wouldn’t ride one - realistically, no one the regular scooters for their image (Vespa and lambretta aside). 

Yamaha have a TriCity 300cc coming out (or out already) although I haven’t seen one in Thailand. 

I think that would be excellent for Bangkok’s roads. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had a look at YouTube dog vs motorbike, very few dog accident videos which is encouraging. I'm thinking maybe hit them like you would a spare at 10 pin bowling where they go spinning off, that's my plan. Braking must mean you go down

• Haha 1

Hitting a dog is bad news.

I did probably a decade back.  Travelling at less than 40kph.  I didn't come off the bike but broke my big toe.  The steel rear brake lever actually took most of the impact.  The pivot pin for the rear brake was common with the centre stand and the pivot pin was sufficiently bent that the centre stand and pin had to be cut out with an angle grinder to replace them.

Dog's heads are tough.  The dog ran off yelping.

• Like 1