Thailand Golf - What Expats and International Visitors Really Think

Thailand Golf - What Expats and International Visitors Really Think 

Land of Smiles at Phoenix Gold.png

With all the recent discussions on whether Thai caddies should be compulsory, well over 2/3rds of golfers polled in Thaivisa’s Golf in Thailand Survey just published, actually agreed that Caddies do enhance their round of golf.

Golf had to take a step back at the start of the global pandemic, but now people are realizing that being out in the fresh air is not only a lot safer than staying at home, but also provides great exercise while still adhering to social distancing.

Over the past few weeks, thaivisa.com’s Golf in Thailand forum, have been conducting their own major survey, which has provided them with a current snapshot of golf across the country. The survey is published today on line.

Over 472 golfers who regularly play their golf in Thailand, took part in this independent survey, which was held over three weeks September 2020.

The good news for local courses, was that 37% agreed that they would still take up club membership, which confirms loyalty to their golf clubs.

54% confirmed that the regularly tipped their caddie between 300-500 Thai Baht, roughly between US$10-15 a round.

Before the pandemic over 48% polled said they played golf at least six times a month, and another 28% played at least three times. 

A Countrywide Concern!

Perhaps of more concern to Thailand’s golf industry however, was that 67% polled had noticed that golf clubs were charging different rates for locals and foreigners. And a further 52% agreed that golf in Thailand was more expensive than elsewhere.

Golf in Thailand has received over 85,000 views since its launch in mid-July. It provides online information, local and international news, promotions and offers, and has over 140 of the top courses listed with comments and reviews from golfers here and overseas.

Thaivisa Golf's Mike Bridge said: ‘Thailand is the most popular golfing destination in Asia, so we wanted to create an online source to help provide expat golfers resident here in Thailand up to date information on prices, course conditions and reviews.

"Naturally once the country re opens its borders, Golf in Thailand will also become the No1 source for golf vacationers wanting to play golf in the land of the smiles.”

To view the full results of this survey please go to: https://newscontent.thaivisa.com/2020/09/23/special/golfsurvey.pdf

392 words

Press Contact: Mike Bridge  [email protected] 

Like Thaivisa Golf on Facebook

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.31.41.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.31.50.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.31.59.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.08.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.17.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.26.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.35.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.43.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.32.51.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.33.01.png

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.33.11.png

• Expat Explore changed the title to Thailand Golf - What Expats and International Visitors Really Think
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Way it's going I think all golfers will be told they need to use two caddies each next

The fact is that any course marshall would not have the nerve to approach a 5-6 ball, tell them to pick up the pace, and split up to 2, 3-ball, let alone to demand that they let faster groups play thr

is there anything in this country not infected with thainess ? i tried to play golf here once before and when a 19some showed up at the t block i had a little bit of a head shake.   this tha

Posted Images

In my opinion courses in Phuket are too expensive.

The courses are ok and all are not outstanding compared to Mission Hills in China . Ok MH is expensive but we don’t mind paying for something if you get good value . 
The greens are generally pretty rough in Phuket  and like my back yard compared to Aus .

We play in Aus about four times a week , maybe Thailand once in a blue moon .

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Winniej said:

In my opinion courses in Phuket are too expensive.

The courses are ok and all are not outstanding compared to Mission Hills in China . Ok MH is expensive but we don’t mind paying for something if you get good value . 
The greens are generally pretty rough in Phuket  and like my back yard compared to Aus .

We play in Aus about four times a week , maybe Thailand once in a blue moon .

Red Mountain I agree was expensive at THB6,000 for green fee. Now in Covid they charge THB2,600 all in so lets hope they keep prices reasonable for the near future. Course standard looked good to me last week.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

The fact is that any course marshall would not have the nerve to approach a 5-6 ball, tell them to pick up the pace, and split up to 2, 3-ball, let alone to demand that they let faster groups play through. Foreigners would usually have no problem letting a faster group play through. Locals, on the other hand, look at it as an insult, and tell the faster group to go around them. 

Locals will allow faster groups to play through, even farangs, BUT your caddy needs to ask them if it's ok to play through. In the 15 years I've been playing golf in Thailand ( Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok & Chiang Mai ) we've NEVER been refused. You need to realise that the Thai players are so focused on the gambling they are involved with they are completely oblivious to others on the course. Since moving to CM, I've played in mostly 5 or 6 player groups, admittedly in carts ) and our average round takes 4 1/2 hours. It takes the same amount of time for a group of 4 walking to play a round here, so I don't understand the complaints at all about groups of 5 or 6 players unless they are all walking.

• Thanks 1

I play in Isaan and I’ve never seen dual pricing. Where does it occur at golf courses. As for price, it’s much cheaper up here than in the UK. I also find the caddies great fun and often highly entertaining. Would be a lot less fun without them.

11 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Locals will allow faster groups to play through, even farangs, BUT your caddy needs to ask them if it's ok to play through. In the 15 years I've been playing golf in Thailand ( Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok & Chiang Mai ) we've NEVER been refused. You need to realise that the Thai players are so focused on the gambling they are involved with they are completely oblivious to others on the course. Since moving to CM, I've played in mostly 5 or 6 player groups, admittedly in carts ) and our average round takes 4 1/2 hours. It takes the same amount of time for a group of 4 walking to play a round here, so I don't understand the complaints at all about groups of 5 or 6 players unless they are all walking.

Well Tiger, consider yourself lucky. When our caddie reluctantly asks if we can play through, we're told to go around. This has happened way more times than not, but then I've only played here for 9 years. Carts are mandatory on our course (Grand Prix in Kanchanaburi). Never played in Phuket or Chiang Mai, but certainly in Pattaya and Hua Hin. So you play in 6-balls? Personally, I find that tacky.

• Sad 1
31 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

As a single, walking, I have outpaced a six ball that were all in carts. The office lady ran me out in a cart two holes ahead of the group starting on the first tee. After 12 holes, I was five holes ahead of them. They were considerably younger than me.

My worst experience was at Hang Dong in Chiang Mai, in a three ball. We got stuck behind 8 Thais who refused to budge, the round took us 6 and a half hours. I didn't go back there for a long, long time.

I realise the etiquette of golf here is different to Western countries. Almost like proving a negative. However, I do have to bite my tongue when Westerners take on the same level of ignorance, which would get them thrown off courses in Australia.

• Thanks 2