STV Visa application precidure sounds like a scam

Just another question;  I have a retirement visa valid until June 2021, which I hope to use again.  if I enter Thailand on one of these STV, will my retirement visa be cancelled, and how would I get another retirement visa?

I am still not convinced that STV is a genuine scheme.  Seems more like something floated by Thailand to give the impression they are sill open to visitors, but really do not want any to come.  From the postings here, I think that it is succeeding in the object.

Let's face it, most TV members are not part of the "super rich" group that today's BKP tells me are going to be encouraged to visit Thailand to restart the economy.

9 minutes ago, Robin said:

Just another question;  I have a retirement visa valid until June 2021, which I hope to use again.  if I enter Thailand on one of these STV, will my retirement visa be cancelled, and how would I get another retirement visa?

I am still not convinced that STV is a genuine scheme.  Seems more like something floated by Thailand to give the impression they are sill open to visitors, but really do not want any to come.  From the postings here, I think that it is succeeding in the object.

Let's face it, most TV members are not part of the "super rich" group that today's BKP tells me are going to be encouraged to visit Thailand to restart the economy.

O visas do not get COEs currently so it would be an entry option, The more important question would be if you can roll into a new O without a border run. No idea on that one. You could probably roll over into an Elite though.

1 hour ago, ernests said:

How much money would you guess this visa would cost me to the point when I have finished the ASQ quarantine??

Too lazy to do the digging:(

Agent: 10.700 baht

Visa 2.000 baht

Hotel: At the moment FROM 40.000 baht (depending on destination - in Phuket it is FROM 99.000 baht at the moment)

Covid-insurance: Depending on your start destination and how long you will stay. It may be included in your ordinary travel insurance.

Flight: We have no idea yet.

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

O visas do not get COEs currently so it would be an entry option,

It depends upon what the non-o visa was issued for. For retirement no. Marriage, parent of a Thai, family members of those on non-b and certain non-ed visas it a possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

Agent: 10.700 baht

Visa 2.000 baht

Hotel: At the moment FROM 40.000 baht (depending on destination - in Phuket it is FROM 99.000 baht at the moment)

Covid-insurance: Depending on your start destination and how long you will stay. It may be included in your ordinary travel insurance.

Flight: We have no idea yet.

Under Section 3 there also seems to be a requirement to book a further 15 days accommodation AFTER quarantine:     "accommodation options and requirements after the 15 days quarantine (minimum stay of 15 days) [Total minimum stay of 30 days including the 15 day quarantine]"

9 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Under Section 3 there also seems to be a requirement to book a further 15 days accommodation AFTER quarantine:     "accommodation options and requirements after the 15 days quarantine (minimum stay of 15 days) [Total minimum stay of 30 days including the 15 day quarantine]"

@ernests asked for expenses until leaving quarantine. Anyway, unless you want to sleep in a sleeping bag, you will have to pay to stay somewhere; be it a hotel, an apartment, with a girlfriend etc.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

You are required to pre-book all accommodation for your entire stay in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, farang51 said:

@ernests asked for expenses until leaving quarantine. Anyway, unless you want to sleep in a sleeping bag, you will have to pay to stay somewhere; be it a hotel, an apartment, with a girlfriend etc.

Yah, but we aren't talking about a week long vacation.  They are requiring prepayment of accommodation, or at least a rental agreement for your entire stay of up to 9 months.  Who would book and pay for a place for so long before you have even seen it?  what if you don't like the place?  I think this requirement is worse than the 2 week quarantine requirement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Yah, but we aren't talking about a week long vacation.  They are requiring prepayment of accommodation, or at least a rental agreement for your entire stay of up to 9 months.  Who would book and pay for a place for so long before you have even seen it?  what if you don't like the place?  I think this requirement is worse than the 2 week quarantine requirement.

OK for me as I can return to where Ive rented for the last 4 winters.

What seems odd to me is that only 1200 people will be able to enter Thailand via STV Visa each month, but in order to apply for the Visa you have to make payments beforehand even when you don't even know if you will be approved or not..

3.      After receiving approval from the Thai Immigration Bureau, the applicant will have to pay the application fee and the company will send the applicant the STV Visa application form and the company will correspond with the applicant regarding

Please read it again. You must pay after receiving approval from IO. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I haven't seen that they requiere rental agreement for more than the first month; and I am sure they do not demand a rental agreement for more than 90 days. However, they may demand a rental agreement again when extending the stay for another 90 days.

Anyway, we still do not know all the details, we will probably know more in a week or two.

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

What seems odd to me is that only 1200 people will be able to enter Thailand via STV Visa each month, but in order to apply for the Visa you have to make payments beforehand even when you don't even know if you will be approved or not..

3.      After receiving approval from the Thai Immigration Bureau, the applicant will have to pay the application fee and the company will send the applicant the STV Visa application form and the company will correspond with the applicant regarding

Please read it again. You must pay after receiving approval from IO. 

I think you have misunderstood..

I meant the expenses for the plane ticket, insurance, ASQ etc.

regarding the immigration bureau:

The Immigration Bureau only checks whether you have a criminal record. If you don't have a criminal record they send the approval to The LongStayCompany that they can continue with the procedure of making you ready to receive and then send documents to the Department of Consular Affairs, Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to apply for the CoE (Certificate of Entry) and the STV Visa..

(part of the required documents are the proof that you have already purchased a plane ticket, insurance, ASQ etc. - this means that you spend money on something that you don't know whether you will be using because the Department of Consular Affairs, Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will only choose 1200 people from all the people who will have applied for the Visa)

P. S. Please pardon me if I have mistaken in my explanation or understanding, this happens to me also

Edited by ernests

On 9/23/2020 at 11:33 AM, treetops said:

It's customary to pay a visa application fee when applying for a visa, but not all the other costs, especially when the others are unknown at the start of the process.  Just more ill thought out madness that I thought would be dropped by now, but which they seem determined to go ahead with.

Richard Barrow wrote about the scheme and fees involved.

Upfront you pay an agent admin fee of 10.000THB nonref if the deal falls through. Then fee for visa, ALSQ, flight... While I'm genuinely interested I'm not prepared to send money "into space" not knowing what you get for it. If you add it all up you may not be far off a basic Elite Visa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 6:40 AM, DrJack54 said:

STV sets new standard of stupidity.

First up the travel bubbles.

Then Phuket having Au and few other countries fly in. Bit funny at same time Au had serious issues covid wise. 

Now this rubbish STV. Absolute rubbish.

Yet many fools asking how to register.

Agreed, keep your damn money in your wallet !!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Letseng said:

If you add it all up you may not be far off a basic Elite Visa. 

You must be joking.  The only fees we know about for this visa are the 10,000 admin fee plus standard visa and extension fees of 1900x3.  The cheapest Elite is 500,000.  

You also need flights, insurance, and quarantine with elite, so this would be in addition and about the same for both.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

would be easier to just say they ain’t opening up yet.. nobody is going to do this.

You would be surprised. There are a lot of well off folks who will do this. Will it solve the tourism issue... of course not, but as we can now see, this is not a serious option to bring back the tourists in droves again. We have been told many times, they are focused on rich people coming back... at least for now. 

I work in hospital where we testing people when we think about possible corona virus infection. It happens that people got  false positive results ( ewhich means they have corona virus). When we testing second time the results comes negative.

That mean the testing is  not 100% accutate.

Then think like this.

1.What will happen if somebody will get false positive results 72 hours before the flight goes ( more likely will lose all money).

2. What will happen if somebody will get one false positive result in thailand? ( more likely they will seat in isolation for few months!).

THINK about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You would be surprised. There are a lot of well off folks who will do this. ...

We have been told many times, they are focused on rich people coming back... at least for now. 

Yes a lot of folks will do this but it is not only for the rich. I am certainly not rich and I will gladly go if they let me.

From a Thai income perspective this group is not the best group. I am sure snowbirds use a lot less money per day than the ordinary tourist. However, they cannot let the ordinary tourists in at the moment, so this is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

2. What will happen if somebody will get one false positive result in thailand? ( more likely they will seat in isolation for few months!).

If you work in a hospital, you should know the answer. Nobody is kept in isolation in months for a false positive. Not in Thailand and not anywhere else.

You will be tested again after a few days, and even if you keep getting false positives they will only keep you for a couple of weeks.

Your point number 1 about losing the money is much more worrisome; however, we don't know yet if what will happen in that case.

21 hours ago, Robin said:

If you enter Thailand on this STV you will receive 90 days permission of stay based upon it. I expect this would cancel your retirement extension as you did not enter based on a Re-Entry permit it is attached to. You would need to start again with a non-Imm-O. I do not expect a STV permit could be converted, but you  can get 2 90-day extensions.

All guesswork... maybe like your hope to obtain a STV...555

Edited by jacko45k

Given the polite, efficient & rational responses Ive already had from this agency compared to dealing with the ignorant unhelpful staff at the London embassy and the continuing problems using the moronic online evisa application process, it is probably better using this agency. It could all boil down to having enough applicants from one country to make up a plane load so, only if u r in the UK like me of course..lol, register with them ASAP. It costs nothing to do this.

• Haha 2

On 9/24/2020 at 3:45 AM, Robin said:

Is it possible when you are standing in front of the IO at arrival he will see your STV and a valid Non O retirement and possibly stamp you 'permitted to stay June 2021' ?  It is technically a 'better' visa. Then continue with your renewal yearly extension....  hmmmmm

9 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Is it possible when you are standing in front of the IO at arrival he will see your STV and a valid Non O retirement and possibly stamp you 'permitted to stay June 2021' ?  It is technically a 'better' visa. Then continue with your renewal yearly extension....  hmmmmm

When every other foreigner he has stamped in for months has had an Embassy issued Non-Imm-O or the new STV that would seem optimistic.

• Like 1