World becoming less tolerant of migrants - Gallup poll

snoop1130

Oh my Covid NO!, it can not be true, tell me its a fake poll done on a Pole or by hitting people with a pole.

The United States ranked sixth in the index just behind Sierra Leone. Ray said Trump supporters were far more accepting of migrants than the global average, scoring 7.10.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i wonder where thailand ranked? 

Less tolerant of immigrants . 

Thailand , number One ...

However that said , I have bought land , house  etc , in the kingdom ..

Edited by elliss

Many think that migrant's/ refugee seem's to get better take care from coverment than native citizen!

And some times it's even look that way! One time, news interview one guy/refugee who was come Finland from coundry where pepper grow! He say :" almost all goign fine but i have to make my own morning tea , thats terrible"! Im not say what religion he had, but they anyway put they head on soil and turn to Mecca! Sometimes they also say "salaam aleikum"!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I haven't really dug into it yet, so not sure how migrants were classified/labeled. I'd suspect it's more to do with Rohingya, Myanmar, and Cambodian people, though. At least from Thai immigration's point of view, we (or well, most of us staying here long term) aren't classed as migrants.

Yes good point, I have to confess I didn't think of it from that point of view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The world doesn't care. People's attitudes have hardened.

Difficult problem really. Those displaced by war, those at risk in their own country. What to do about those? Especially when those people start trying to get into those countries that were waging war in their country.

There have always been economic migration, asylum seekers, refugees. There will always be such.

What I find interesting is Iceland, with 324,000 population. I wonder what would happen if immigrants went there in their thousands? I imagine attitudes would soon change.

I also find it interesting that the UK is still seen by some as a haven, even though it is supposed to be the poor man of Europe now, since it left the EU. Mind you, it relieves the French authorities of a headache.

This poll does not accurately reflect Canadian attitudes today.  Mr Blackface Trudeau failed to obtain a second majority last October because of his super-Woke policies on things like fossil fuels and the failure to police the border with the US so as to prevent the entry of all those who have heard of Canada's reputation for showering asylum-seekers with munificent handouts.

On the other hand, the Government needs large numbers of high-end immigrants to help pay the taxes that will be required to uphold Canada's sprawling welfare system over the rest of the century.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

hmmm, inconvenient :coffee1:

we'll need to bury this story then..

Asking the respondent's political affiliation would seem an odd part of a survey. The story did not state explicitly that this was done. But like you I'm suspicious of Ray's statement. 

At best it would show that his supporters don't agree with that particular part of his racist/divisive agenda. I'm very doubtful of that personally. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.......... 

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

The world doesn't care. People's attitudes have hardened.

Difficult problem really. Those displaced by war, those at risk in their own country. What to do about those? Especially when those people start trying to get into those countries that were waging war in their country.

There have always been economic migration, asylum seekers, refugees. There will always be such.

What I find interesting is Iceland, with 324,000 population. I wonder what would happen if immigrants went there in their thousands? I imagine attitudes would soon change.

I also find it interesting that the UK is still seen by some as a haven, even though it is supposed to be the poor man of Europe now, since it left the EU. Mind you, it relieves the French authorities of a headache.

France is already the poster child for what mass influx of migrants with totally alien cultures can do to a country. Germany is going for second place in that contest. 

The bottom line is that it's unrealistic for large masses of people to rapidly move from one country to another. See what happens if everybody on a large airplane suddenly moves from the back half into the front half. It becomes dangerously unbalanced. Countries must maintain an equilibrium too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

France is already the poster child for what mass influx of migrants with totally alien cultures can do to a country. Germany is going for second place in that contest. 

The bottom line is that it's unrealistic for large masses of people to rapidly move from one country to another. See what happens if everybody on a large airplane suddenly moves from the back half into the front half. It becomes dangerously unbalanced. Countries must maintain an equilibrium too. 

Just a year or so ago, it was Germany that was the 'poster child' seems they've made a lot of progress.  Now you need a new poster child.   That sounds like an anti-immigrant agenda.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Credo said:

Just a year or so ago, it was Germany that was the 'poster child' seems they've made a lot of progress.  Now you need a new poster child.   That sounds like an anti-immigrant agenda.

Or a pro-equilibrium argument. 

Do you then consider yourself 'pro-immigration'? 

Eventually citizens will have to take back control of their own countries and make them livable instead of fleeing to other countries and depending on them for support. There is a distinct difference between mass migration and selective immigration. It's not reasonable for millions to expect other countries to support them as they establish new lives or re-establish their own cultural enclaves in another country. The Germans I've met don't feel that bringing millions into their own country and finding their new lives has been progress. 

Tough problem with no easy answers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Or a pro-equilibrium argument. 

Do you then consider yourself 'pro-immigration'? 

Eventually citizens will have to take back control of their own countries and make them livable instead of fleeing to other countries and depending on them for support. There is a distinct difference between mass migration and selective immigration. It's not reasonable for millions to expect other countries to support them as they establish new lives or re-establish their own cultural enclaves in another country. The Germans I've met don't feel that bringing millions into their own country and finding their new lives has been progress. 

Tough problem with no easy answers. 

Well, I don't really like to put myself in a box of pro or anti anything.   If I were to do so, it would be pro-immigration.   Countries have the right to set limits on the number of immigrants they will admit and the categories under which they will admit them.   

People who are fleeing persecution should be given a fair hearing of their asylum claim.  I expect those hearing to err on the side of caution.   Those who do not meet the criteria should be repatriated as soon as possible and in the most humane way possible.   Repatriations should be done as absolutely soon as possible.  Migrants should not be allowed to linger in limbo for extensive periods of time.   There will always be situations that require humanitarian considerations.   Some people, for a variety of reasons can't be returned to their home country.   Sometimes the home countries denies that they are from there.   Children who arrive without family shouldn't be returned unless a relative or close family member can be found to care for them.   

Allowing people to live in a country without some sort of legal status, whether temporary, long-term or permanent is neither good for them or the host country.   

Edited by Credo
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 8:34 PM, Patts said:

I think it depends on the type of migrants. If they are doing it legally, working and paying taxes then I have no issue with them but this is certainly not the case in the UK where we seem to be having an influx of illegal economic migrants from North Africa, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan etc. very few actually want to work and they all know how to play the system to get free housing, state benefits, health care etc normally under false pretences that they are refugees fleeing war etc. 

Once they are given accommodation they send word back to their families and they all come too. UK need to get out of Europe ASAP and stop all immigrants unless they are married to a British citizen, are a professional, have a required skill or are going to invest in the country.   

But many British citizens are immigrants often with dual nationality. They can receive welfare benefit even back in Pakistan. In the UK some of the most violent gangs are Somalian. But the UK has no historical links with this group. The Libyan terrorists who slaughtered 40 children and injured 100s more were immigrants, one of whom had been rescued from drawing by the Royal navy. Theirw British citizenship gave them the right to vote, stand for Parliament,  receive multiple benefits, marry British citizens and import family members.