World becoming less tolerant of migrants - Gallup poll

snoop1130

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

If people are willing to take the risk of death by migrating across unknown spaces to encounter unknown situations with no guarantee of acceptance they should be willing to take a risk to reclaim their own country instead. 

From the beginning of the Arab Spring in Syria, unarmed protestors were met with extreme violence by the dictatorship, including torture. of children. When resistance started to harden, Assad released Islamists from his prisons, who added to the violence, in order to gain sympathy from the West - history shows how the tactic backfired. Those opposed to the dictatorship faced the military killing machine, including militias run by Assad's brother who raped, murdered and tortured civilians. You know the Russians also supported Assad with a modern airforce, The Syrian civil war ended up being a proxy war, but the Sunni opposition had no chance of defeating Assad as they were not / are not sufficiently assisted by the West, complicated by the fact many were Islamists, but included the non-Islamists, the Kurds. One has to take off your hat in acknowledging the Kurds in Syria in their efforts in combatting ISIS and who still occupy N.E Syria; if the US withdraws protection, as trump wanted to do, but Mattis won the argument to keep a presence, more than likely the Kurds will be wiped out.

18 minutes ago, simple1 said:

From the beginning of the Arab Spring in Syria, unarmed protestors were met with extreme violence by the dictatorship, including torture. of children. When resistance started to harden, Assad released Islamists from his prisons, who added to the violence, in order to gain sympathy from the West - history shows how the tactic backfired. Those opposed to the dictatorship faced the military killing machine, including militias run by Assad's brother who raped, murdered and tortured civilians. You know the Russians also supported Assad with a modern airforce, The Syrian civil war ended up being a proxy war, but the Sunni opposition had no chance of defeating Assad as they were not / are not sufficiently assisted by the West, complicated by the fact many were Islamists, but included the non-Islamists, the Kurds. One has to take off your hat in acknowledging the Kurds in Syria in their efforts in combatting ISIS and who still occupy N.E Syria; if the US withdraws protection, as trump wanted to do, but Mattis won the argument to keep a presence, more than likely the Kurds will be wiped out.

Rebellions are not always immediately successful. That's an indisputable fact. Equally true is that some are famously successful even against better armed and trained forces. If you're American you know what I mean. In more recent history I will also mention Vietnam. 

History is replete with both outcomes and the struggles continue. The only ones surely doomed to failure are those never attempted. 

Edited by RocketDog
Addition

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Rebellions are not always immediately successful. That's an indisputable fact. Equally true is that some are famously successful even against better armed and trained forces. If you're American you know what I mean. In more recent history I will also mention Vietnam. 

History is replete with both outcomes and the struggles continue. The only ones surely doomed to failure are those never attempted. 

Doesn't come across you are familiar with the uprising against Assad, result and ongoing issues. There is no comparison whatsoever with Vietnam.

Edited by simple1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:01 PM, Morch said:
On 9/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, Patts said:

Thailand showing their true colours. All the fake smiles to extract $$$$ while secretly wishing you would pi** off 

I haven't really dug into it yet, so not sure how migrants were classified/labeled. I'd suspect it's more to do with Rohingya, Myanmar, and Cambodian people, though. At least from Thai immigration's point of view, we (or well, most of us staying here long term) aren't classed as migrants.

That's being rather generous. There's only one, single homogeneous label that Thailand uses to classify all migrants be they Myanmar construction workers or retired farangs and that is "Non- Thai"

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Doesn't come across you are familiar with the uprising against Assad, result and ongoing issues. There is no comparison whatsoever with Vietnam.

And you are apparently ignorant of history and the multiple times rebellion has succeeded. Assymetric warfare was very much in play in Vietnam. Agent Orange herbicide, carpet bombing, civilian massacres like Mai Lai, napalm were all employed. In the end Americans fled in helicopters from rooftops. 

But I won't argue with you on a particular case. My statements were clearly given from a wider historical perspective which you ignore to beat a particular drum. Why this is such a hot button for you is a mystery. I doubt you are Syrian. If you are trying to argue that evil always triumphs I still refute such a generalization. If you're arguing that Syria is somehow unique in its conflicts then again you are unconvincing. 

If it makes you feel better I will concede that Assad is a dangerous autocrat bent on subjugating his citizens with whatever violence is necessary to remain in power. He surrounds himself with like people. 

His behavior is being mirrored more every day by the King Wannabe in the Whitehouse. I understand the situation very well. But it's unreasonable and unlikely that most Americans should flee to Canada or Mexico to escape a madman. You can run from evil but in the end it spreads to find you.

I'm not Syrian and have no dog in that fight either so let's just drop this discussion. It's a waste of digital ink. 

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Why this is such a hot button for you is a mystery.

Cause you are posting nonsense regards war zone countries from where today's genuine asylum seekers originate, in effect blaming the asylum seekers for seeking security and safety; Syria being a case in point.

Edited by simple1

41 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Cause you are posting nonsense regards war zone countries from where today's genuine asylum seekers originate, in effect blaming the asylum seekers for seeking security and safety; Syria being a case in point.

End of discussion 

• Thanks 1