EU-bound trucks from UK could face two-day delays after Brexit, Britain says

snoop1130

49 minutes ago, polpott said:

I ave eaten horsemeat at a well known restaurant in Paris. Absolutely delicious. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You know what they say "Where we go 1 we go all". 555

I've tried Goat, Squirrel, Crow and Fox but I didn't find any o' that in Sainsburys ????

• Haha 1

Just now, evadgib said:

I've tried Goat, Squirrel, Crow and Fox but I didn't find any o' that in Sainsburys ????

Goat is readily available in Halal butchers in the UK. A restaurant near me in the UK, owned by a South African does an excellent South African goat curry. Squirrel is the in thing at some michelin starred restaurants in London. You need to be a bit more adventurous. Don't forget, "WHERE WE GO ONE WE GO ALL"

On 9/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, Rookiescot said:

And the good news keeps coming.

What about goods coming in the other direction? Delays for them as well?

What a wonderful, well conceived and executed utopia the UK has to look forward to come January. 

Someone really should have pointed this stuff out prior to the vote.

Yes along with the power cuts, troops on the streets, no aspirin and food shortages amongst other project fear spin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I ave eaten horsemeat at a well known restaurant in Paris. Absolutely delicious. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You know what they say "Where we go 1 we go all". 555

My sister and I used to liberate our dog's biscuits from the parlour shelf. They claimed to contain dried horse meat and indeed filled us up more than Mcvities digestives, as well as being more tasty.

I reckon they would go especially well with a pint of beer, being thirst enhancing.

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Let's try this one more time.

The UK does not produce enough food to feed it's citizens, therefore most people's weekly shop is likely to include imported food (as is the case now). 

If there is no deal with the EU, we will trade with them and (most) other countries under WTO rules. The UK government has announced tariffs on foodstuffs and, under WTO rules, we are obliged to impose these tariffs 'across the board' unless we have a bi-lateral trade agreement in place.

Therefore, unless we can source all our food requirements from Japan, Switzerland, The Faroe Islands or the handful of other countries with whom we have trade agreements, the supermarket price for food produce will likely increase (because of the addition of these tariffs).

So, yes I had fully grasped that if I want EU food products on 1/1/21 it will likely cost me more. 

Is it clear enough to you now that if you want to eat most fruits in 2021, it's likely to cost you more no matter where it comes from?

Oh the irony ????

Due to disruption caused by the strike in Calais, drivers heading to the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel are being advised to plan-ahead and leave extra time for their journeys.

Operation Stack activated on coast bound M20 between junctions 8 and 9 in Kent

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

People think I'm nuts when they see me talking to myself. But nobody answered, so what can I do?

never mind, keep it up, at least you will not get any unexpected responses . . . .

Edited by melvinmelvin
typo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Third country in EU speak simply means a country that is not a member of the EU - we have left, so we are already a third country ! The slight of hand that is transition means that we've not been affected by it yet. Even countries like Norway and Switzerland  are third countries, but they have comprehensive agreements with the EU that mitigate the effects.

But these come at a price - normally accepting EU legislation without question  and Freedom of movement.

I think that most countries affected regards Freedom of movement (as well as the other freedoms)

as an asset rather than a downside

when we consider those EEA members not in EU the acceptance of EU legislation is not quite like

you describe,

these countries do have the option to say NO to a new directive, (EU members cannot do that)

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

not have, had

Malta is not in position to prevent an agreed draft directive becoming a directive

My understanding is (and its not something that I have looked into a great deal) that Malta lost its veto regarding tax haven legislation.

Now while I love Malta (been there three times and I cannot speak highly enough about the Islands and its people) you can hardly have a very small population vetoing some highly needed legislation.

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

My understanding is (and its not something that I have looked into a great deal) that Malta lost its veto regarding tax haven legislation.

Now while I love Malta (been there three times and I cannot speak highly enough about the Islands and its people) you can hardly have a very small population vetoing some highly needed legislation.

right,

so you can hardly have a very small population vetoing some highly needed legislation.

that is why the right to veto all and sundry as been done away with

hence, the option to say no to directives is for EEA members not in EU only

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Because the US will flood the UK market with cheap chlorinated chicken putting any competitors out of business.

That's not how markets work. They won't 'flood' the UK market with their chickens if UK consumers are not buying them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Yep, that's the slippery slope we are escaping from. As the EU slowly removes it's member states' ability to block things. The EU (France+Germany) don't want to be inconvenienced by other member states objecting to stuff...

'The European Commission (EC) recently launched a debate, and suggested that decisions on taxation should no longer be decided unanimously by European Union (EU) member states. This comes with a report from an EC think tank publishing a report that veto power should be removed, not only in cases of taxation, but also when voting on social and environmental issues.

The train of thought from the EC is that this will lead to more efficient timeframes when pushing legislation that affects the bloc and its 28 member states.'

https://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2019-01-18/local-news/Maltese-MEPs-reject-proposal-to-end-member-states-veto-over-EU-tax-legislation-6736202239

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Ah, you think they will sell them as “Chlorinated Chicken”? 

Im afraid you don’t know how retail works. The fact that it’s chlorinated chicken will not be on the packaging, or just as a small footnote hidden somewhere in between other footnotes. And most people don’t read the fine print of their groceries but simply buy what’s cheap. 

Country of origin (USA) will be clear to see for anybody who is interested in seeing it. 

And remainers have been squealing like girls about US chickens being sanitised with chlorine long enough and loud enough, so the public know about this. 

If a consumer doesn't care and wants to buy the cheapest, then that's what they'll do. 

12 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You fail to see that the majority of people are uneducated and poor. They don’t read the fine print. They buy what looks nice and is cheap. You don’t even need to have chlorinated chicken for that. How many people you know read the ingredients list of what they buy? 

By that logic, we don’t need any consumer protection at all. 

There are no health and safety issues around consumption of chlorine washed products. In fact many salads and vegetables consumed in the UK and across the EU are washed with chlorine.

The EU argument is that relying on a chlorine wash at the end of the meat production process might allow famers to have slacker procedures prior to processing. 

But the remain side are relying on less educated people seeing the word 'chlorine' and thinking they'll be eating chickens that have been dipped in the local swimming pool before appearing on the shelves in Tesco. A clever project fear tactic.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I think that most countries affected regards Freedom of movement (as well as the other freedoms)

as an asset rather than a downside when we consider those EEA members not in EU the acceptance of EU legislation is not quite like you describe,

these countries do have the option to say NO to a new directive, (EU members cannot do that)

NO, I repeat NO important decision can be law when the EU council = the EU member states' heads of government does not agree with.. In the British case; the UK Prime minister. 

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_in_the_Council_of_the_European_Union 

After so many years a EU member, you still do not know the regulations ?

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

just read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_in_the_Council_of_the_European_Union

So, any Brexit agreement has to pass all 27 EU national parliaments. ( before 1 Jan 21 = 14 weeks from now ) 

A request of England to be an EU member state, 1 Jan 2021 of later.. same.

A Gaelic confederation, consisting of Eire, Ulster, Scotland and Wales ( so, something like Belgium) ... will immediately be EU member.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1