Phuket Immigration assures all ‘visa extensions’ at least 30 days

snoop1130

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has announced "No matter when you came to extend your visa, the permission date of all visa types will start counting from September 27, 2020.” 

I hope this ends the people on this forum who keep insisting that it's unacceptable to talk about "extending your visa".  Here we have the Thai immigration office using the "extend your visa" language.  

3 hours ago, spacex said:

"Under the current ‘visa amnesty’, which is set to expire this Saturday (Sept 26), the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has announced "No matter when you came to extend your visa, the permission date of all visa types will start counting from September 27, 2020.” 

The above is a blatant lie.

I can also confirm this is a lie, my extension which I received from Phuket started the day I applied, not the 27th Sept.

Edited by taxin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I was at Samui IO last week and witnessed two people being turned away one a female was in tears I don’t know what there circumstances were I presume they were trying to renew their visa’s . In the meantime agents are making a fortune I know of an individual who has paid 30,000+ Bht for a 90 day stamp.

Was just there and can confirm that the office is no longer issuing extensions on a TR since Monday. I asked what the reasoning was behind the change but none was forthcoming (other than cannot now) I can't confirm that the change was Monday but I can confirm .they were being issued until last Wednesday. The mobile unit in Central Festival was issuing supposedly for technical reasons so were telling those with unused 30 day TR extensions to go to Maenam 

24 minutes ago, mrmrmred said:

I wish everyone luck.... alot of luck as you are going to need it.

Cheers mate and it's going to be a lot of people who need it. With land borders closed, what are they going to do about all these people that simply cannot leave due to lack of flights or seats on flights. One fella managed to leave last Monday after having 7 tickets cancelled over the period of 3-4 weeks. That aside... I dunno... can't go around telling people one thing and then change it a matter of days or a week before. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

Basically, what I see is that we foreigners are outsiders not belongs here-- no matter how or what you argue about is pointless, you aren’t gonna win folks. As we can see even locals are fighting over many things but are there any changes? I guess the answer is ‘No’.
So as outsiders just go with the flow without complaining. It is very clear picture that this government is sending a message to the outsiders to leave the country; then I guess we should leave without complaining.
In my opinion our native countries are the best and safest place to stay right now without any of these troubles. I know it is an awkward situation and they are taking an advantage on us, so what we can do about it? Protest like locals!
The best-case scenario is if you got an extension stamp and you stay until the day permitted. If not, find a way go home and tell other folks in your country the story about your adventure in the ‘Land of Smiles’ during pandemic.
If you’re are traveling to Thailand for quite long enough, you’d probably realize that there were many changes over the past. This country really used to be ‘Land of Smile’, when you arrive at checkpoint the IOs used to be always smile, welcome you and stamp your passport.
Nowadays this country changed to ‘Land of Interrogations’, as once you arrive at checkpoint, the first thing they would do is ask questions; “What are you doing here?” “Where are you staying?” “How long will you stay?” “How much money do you have?” Bla bla bla…
Some can’t even enter the country, if you don’t have proper visa. I guess there will be more changes coming in the future. So if you are qualified, then you can come back -- but make sure to bring a lot of cash -- otherwise stay in your own country. “Home sweet Home!”
It is sad to those can’t make it but good luck folks.

Once they start jailing people for not being able to legally leave the kingdom it will make news. 

6 hours ago, spacex said:

"Under the current ‘visa amnesty’, which is set to expire this Saturday (Sept 26), the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has announced "No matter when you came to extend your visa, the permission date of all visa types will start counting from September 27, 2020.” 

The above is a blatant lie.

It’s the façade of a fictitious alternate that matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I was at Samui IO last week and witnessed two people being turned away one a female was in tears I don’t know what there circumstances were I presume they were trying to renew their visa’s . In the meantime agents are making a fortune I know of an individual who has paid 30,000+ Bht for a 90 day stamp.

I have a friend that is being clipped for 20,000 baht in Samui.  Right in front of everyone.  It's very sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raccos21 said:

Basically, what I see is that we foreigners are outsiders not belongs here--
Some can’t even enter the country, if you don’t have proper visa.

This is a scandal that you can't enter Thailand without a proper visa. You are right. A very clear indication that they don't like outsiders... Such outsiders should boycott the country and refuse to come here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, raccos21 said:

Basically, what I see is that we foreigners are outsiders not belongs here-- no matter how or what you argue about is pointless, you aren’t gonna win folks. As we can see even locals are fighting over many things but are there any changes? I guess the answer is ‘No’.
So as outsiders just go with the flow without complaining. It is very clear picture that this government is sending a message to the outsiders to leave the country; then I guess we should leave without complaining.
In my opinion our native countries are the best and safest place to stay right now without any of these troubles. I know it is an awkward situation and they are taking an advantage on us, so what we can do about it? Protest like locals!
The best-case scenario is if you got an extension stamp and you stay until the day permitted. If not, find a way go home and tell other folks in your country the story about your adventure in the ‘Land of Smiles’ during pandemic.
If you’re are traveling to Thailand for quite long enough, you’d probably realize that there were many changes over the past. This country really used to be ‘Land of Smile’, when you arrive at checkpoint the IOs used to be always smile, welcome you and stamp your passport.
Nowadays this country changed to ‘Land of Interrogations’, as once you arrive at checkpoint, the first thing they would do is ask questions; “What are you doing here?” “Where are you staying?” “How long will you stay?” “How much money do you have?” Bla bla bla…
Some can’t even enter the country, if you don’t have proper visa. I guess there will be more changes coming in the future. So if you are qualified, then you can come back -- but make sure to bring a lot of cash -- otherwise stay in your own country. “Home sweet Home!”
It is sad to those can’t make it but good luck folks.

Thailand used to be very poor. Covid aside these days the average salaries in Thailand are on par with the eastern member states of the EU. It is quite normal (unfortunately for a lot of us) that they enforce stricter border controls and update their immigration rules as they are not that desperate anymore. Those good old easy days will never come back. If anything this whole covid misery is a great proof that Thailand can survive without tourists if needed. 

• Like 2

Did noone read the article? It says the stamp on your passport is the date you have to go back to imigration where you will be granted the rest of the extention, if they ask everyone on go back 15 days from the 26th there will be hundreds of people turning up on the same day, it even said he is concerned because now everyones extention will finish on the same day next month.

Edited by AAIrons

5 hours ago, andre47 said:

What do you expect? If you aren't a Thai you are a outsider (outlander). You don't have equal rights like a Thai. This is in every country. You have to follow their rules. In your home country you also have to follow rules.

It is their right to ask you these questions. Have you ever traveled to the USA? They will ask you much more....

You criticize that you must have a proper visa? Are you joking? From which universe do you come from?

Oh please , prior to January IO's were turning away people with freshly issued METV saying you been Thailand to much more than 180 days in a year. That only can stay in Thailand rule was thrown out in 2008 !  wnen people were staying on continuous 30 day visa exempts.  Now you can get 2 exempt at land borders a year  and supposedly many if landing at airports but is up to IO.  If you get a visa for USA after you land you will never see and IO or be asked anything about your stay in the 6 months  they give you unless you overstay.

"Phuket Immigration assures all ‘visa extensions’ at least 30 days"

Does this apply only to the Phuket Immigration Office??   What about the other Immigration Offices??  Tha Yang immigration office is requiring a wheel-barrow full of money in a thai bank,

12 months of deposits in a thai bank, etc...

Is it the sos at the other offices??

You can’t compare America and Thailand. There’s a huge difference between them. People go to America to make money or to have a better life while people come to Thailand to spend money and spend time with their loved ones or family. They have a right to ask questions, but they ask some silly questions that they know the answer to, even though you have the proper visa and travel documents. This is kind of too much. On top, most of today’s passports are advanced — the moment you scan it, it can give your whole traveling history. So the verbal questions are unnecessary, I guess.

FC7956BE-AB64-416F-87F6-051B4825992D.jpeg

• Sad 1

Ostensibly the intention of ThaiVisa forum is, among other things, a forum to announce the latest visa rules. While many, particularly the global moderators, have the best intentions the forums of the last week have confused rather than clarified the 30 day visa extension issue. Last week everyone weighed in on whether amnesty would be extended or not. Nobody knew and everyone had an opinion. Monday the 21st the conversation had morphed into you could get a 30 day extension but only if you had not already applied for one and they were only available in half a dozen, hard to reach, border location. Mae Hong Son and Nakhon Ratchathani come to mind. On Tuesday the Phuket News reported the Phuket Immigrations was issuing 190 tourist visa extensions a day. (Note- this contradicts what was reported on Monday). Wednesday it was reported that 15 day extensions were being granted and the other 15 days were under consideration. (Note this contradicts what was reported on Monday and Tuesday).Today people are reporting that they cannot get their 30 day extensions in Koh Samui. Peppered in with this ever changing story line we have to read through all the white noise on the website- the posters that chastise those that haven’t got their visa, the anecdotal accounts that  subtract rather than add to the topic, and the various comedians that think everything is a joke. My conclusion- each immigration office can and will act independently and is able to change the rules on a weekly or daily basis. I have my visa and am not in the fray.  I do feel compassion for all those that are trying to get their extension before the deadline. Dazed and confused. 

On 9/24/2020 at 1:41 PM, JUAinBKK said:

I am paying 25k for what I was told is to renew my non-o, without having 400k in the bank for 60 days.  

Chaengwattana Immigration is Packed today! Our hired help, “counselor,” just walked us right into a office/cubical, with no ticket to get and wait to be called on.  Things seem to go friendly (all smiles and happiness), easily, calmly (meanwhile it was pure pandemonium  behind us in the waiting/seating area) and QUICKLY. 

Then the IO recommended another type VISA, for which I am sure I do not qualify for and have never even researched such VISA, because it simply doesn’t apply to me.... or I don’t think it does.  I said Ok, and off she went to make copies and sign papers.

After 10 minutes and 1000 signatures, we were done.  
Lesson Learned:  

1.  These “Counselors” have a personal relationship (maybe even family, but at least good friends), with certain IO’s, and they pay them personally to do such business/favors/matters, as if it were standard operations.  I asked my Counselor how long they knew each each other (IO and counselor) and was told about 20+years.  I asked if the IO was paid directly by them and told “Yes, of course.”  The counselor said they (the counselor and the IO) have a “contract” they abide by.  

2. If you do not have a “Counselor” with a special relationship, you are subject to The LINE Operations, where you are met with only negativity and frustration, for good reason.  “IO’s don’t make enough to counsel customers” and to show and direct them to the proper forms and procedures to follow to achieve desires, in a timely manner.  If you do not have a “counselor” and can’t read, write and speak fluent Thai, one will never figure out the system and achieve the goal of a smooth, consistent and successful completion of VISA desired goals.

It has taken me a year of batteling with the madness that is the Immigration Policy and IO Machiene procedures to realize, you MUST have a counselor/special paid relationship to make your VISA goals happen without great frustration.  And you ask “how did you find out you needed such and how to get a “counselor?”  An Egyptian (another Expat) told me, as if t were a secret.

I understand what you are saying, but don't you think that we should do something about it, complain at higher level, because IOs already get a salary and should not scam us ?