Louisville police officers cleared of criminal charges in Breonna Taylor death

webfact

11 hours ago, The Barmbeker said:
On 9/23/2020 at 11:36 PM, donnacha said:

You have a right to be armed. You don't have a right to shoot at uniformed police officers after they have announced themselves and lawfully entered your home.

Which they weren't and they didn't so...what's your point?

I'll believe the official investigation's report. You believe whatever rumor-based, clickbait nonsense you want.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, Scott said:

We do not allow the posting of false or misleading information.   Please post from a reliable source, that the police were not in uniform.  I have trouble believing that a group of police executing a no-knock warrant, whether the commander told them to announce themselves or not, would arrive without full tactical gear.  

How would anyone know it is really the police if they break down your door and enter with guns if they are not wearing uniforms?

How about this? (Boldface type is mine. Done for clarity)

"Shortly after midnight on Friday 13 March, she was in bed with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, when they heard a banging on the door.

Plainclothes Louisville police officers were carrying out a narcotics raid, and they used a battering ram to enter the property."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54273317

On 9/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, Sujo said:

A couple of points.

The grand jury only hears evidence from the prosecutor. No defence allowed. The prosecutor stated walker shot the officer but the defence after seeing the report questions the ballistic report as non conclusive, but cannot tell the grand jury.

Actually, the defense is the police officers in this case. The lawyers for Breonna Taylor have no bearing in this case. As far as I know, a civil lawsuit was already settled.

The Only Witness Who Heard Police Announce Themselves at Breonna Taylor’s Door Changed His Story

When Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced this week that no charges would be brought in direct connection with Breonna Taylor’s death, he underscored that the officers executing the search warrant that night did identify themselves at Taylor’s door, pointing to a witness who corroborated the officers’ version of events.

But, according to audio and documents obtained by VICE News, that same witness changed his story in the months following the deadly raid.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bv8qyd/breonna-taylor-investigation-witness-changes-story

Edited by Morch
  • Thanks 1

This whole situation was a travesty from the get go.  My condolences to the family of Beonna, to her boyfriend and to the police officers who were charged with enforcing a senseless warrant.   I think heads should roll, but I don't know that should start with the police officers.   They were simply doing what people far above their heads were telling them to do.  They also did not chose the best officers for a raid such as this.  That begs the question of whether those up the line knew this was not a raid to get a prime or dangerous suspect. 

This should have been handle as an ordinary search of a house.   They could have easily waited for the occupants to exit the premises, detained them and served the warrant.   They did not even have an arrest warrant for Taylor.  That's one huge raid on someone's home when they aren't even wanted.  

The racial overtones can't be ignored, but the problem seems to lie with a judge who would grant such a warrant (regardless of how it was executed), with the DA and staff who would apply for it and with the supervisors in the police force who would agree to enforce it.  

7 hours ago, Morch said:

The Only Witness Who Heard Police Announce Themselves at Breonna Taylor’s Door Changed His Story

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bv8qyd/breonna-taylor-investigation-witness-changes-story

There's a lot more in another article from VICE. For instance, the police claimed that because the officers were in plainclothes, they weren't wearing cameras. The people at VICE just got hold of lots of camera footage that shows that claim to be a lie. Also, the footage shows massive violations of police procedure.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v7gwyy/new-body-cam-footage-raises-questions-about-breonna-taylor-death-investigation