Popular DJ Annop killed in Bangkok smash-up, speedometer frozen at 200 km/h

webfact

24 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Your words may be your own legacy when the time comes. Most people have a family or friends, who very well may disagree with your callous comment. 

I do not speed like that idiot so will say again no loss and we should be thankful he did not hurt anyone else

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LoliLoso said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's the difference between a Toyota and a Ferrari.

Yes, and the Ferrari was doing 177kpm was able to protect the driver and kill the motorcyclist. 

Perhaps our man in Ferrari had one of those static grounding strips, but it was missing. He used a sacrificial anode instead.

Sadly, some young people think they are immortal. It's the family they leave behind that suffers.

When they get their driving license, do Thai drivers even know what to do in the event of a tire blowout? Driver training here is abysmal.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I did a Google search and came up with this. https://autoportal.com/newcars/toyota/corolla-altis/qna/350216.html

I suppose that it would be possible to tweak the engine to get (according to one poster) 215 kph but I know that I wouldn't be happy at that speed even on a long straight 6 lane highway.

when/if the Airport Gates open again - get to Gwermany to practice on the Autobahn ????  215kmh though would not be enough for the fast lane... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Would this model of car be capable of 200KM/H ?

Nope the Altis is not capable of those speeds (usually) - its more than likely the impact caused the speedo needle to max out and stick rather than the last known speed of the car get locked in.

This is just over simplified and dumbed down reporting. That said, the deceased was clearly wellying it...  but unlikely at the reported speed. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Explain that to my neighbor who lost his wife and child to an a-hole driver speeding in bad weather conditions. 

Both his wife and him were trying to make ends meet, and the 8-year old kid was being picked up by the mom when she came out of work at 6pm. He normally was home first from his dayjob, and started preparing for the family dinner. That evening it was not his wife and daughter arriving home, but a police truck with an officer bringing him the terrible news.

Ever seen a grown man break down in front of his house when his entire world collapses in a moment of seconds? Let me tell you, its not a pretty thing to see.

The killer was a typical a-hole that drove too fast for the conditions. They dont know what exactly caused the crash, but he sped through a corner and lost control.

He survived due to airbags. Insurance paid out a minimal amount that quickly disappeared on funeral costs and fixed payments he still had to cover.

This happened about 6 years ago, and even now he is not half the man he had been. His fire is out, when you look into his eyes there is nothing left of him.

Accidents can happen, but as mentioned in the article this was a dangerous bend and in the rain.

I sincerely hope you will never ever get a cop on your doorstep giving you the news he received that day. If only the driver had driven a bit slower, been a bit more careful, paid a bit more attention...

Whole heartedly agree. 

I was just on the express way which was fairly busy but flowing traffic.

100kmh and a lorry (10 wheeler) was no more than 2 meters from my rear (thats not an exaggeration).

There wasn’t any way for me to get out of the way. 

If i could have found a safe way of stopping, getting out of the car and kicking the <deleted> out of the driver I would have - but that still wouldn’t teach them any lesson. 

It's quite infuriating to see a small percentage of people place the vast majority in grave danger by their inconsiderate, idiotic, moronic and dangerous actions on the road. 

---

I’m not sure what happened with this DJ - but clearly speed was involved, booze too? 

It's sad someone lost their life and fortunate no innocents were also involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speedometers are driven electrically nowadays. No more speedo cables.

During the accident, one side of the power feed to the instrument could have been dislodged and the motor driven hard one way. Looking at the photograph, that does seem to be the case.

speedo.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope the Altis is not capable of those speeds (usually) - its more than likely the impact caused the speedo needle to max out and stick rather than the last known speed of the car get locked in.

This is just over simplified and dumbed down reporting. That said, the deceased was clearly wellying it...  but unlikely at the reported speed. 

In a high speed impact usually the instrument needles flick foreward and leave witness marks on the dial. I doubt the vehicle was moving at 200 but even at 150 hitting a solid concrete barrier would cause catastrophic damage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

200 km/h! Yep, that´s ok.

At the right time and in the right place I agree with you. On a dry racetrack on a sunny day is the right time and place.

On a wet surburban street in the dark is definitely the wrong time and place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tifino said:

when/if the Airport Gates open again - get to Gwermany to practice on the Autobahn ????  215kmh though would not be enough for the fast lane... 

I used to live and work in Germany a few years ago and the autobahn between Hannover and Weisbaden was not always plain and smooth driving. In some places it was down to 2 lanes and not always smooth and even. I had a Ford Granada and set the cruise control to about 130 kph which was comfortable and safe for me.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

At the right time and in the right place I agree with you. On a dry racetrack on a sunny day is the right time and place.

On a wet surburban street in the dark is definitely the wrong time and place.

Nevermind if you agree. You totally missed to understand the sarcasm in my post. ???? 

Anyway, I agree with you. ???? 

13 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Would this model of car be capable of 200KM/H ?

I don't know about the car but the speedometer seems to be able to register 200KM/H on slippery pavement. A positive outcome he didn't have passengers and no bystanders knocked down.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Speedometers are driven electrically nowadays. No more speedo cables.

During the accident, one side of the power feed to the instrument could have been dislodged and the motor driven hard one way. Looking at the photograph, that does seem to be the case.

speedo.png

I would seriously question the accuracy of the 200km/h when the rev counter is showing just over 5K rpm, surely a vehicle such as an Altis would need to be red lining to ever have any chance of attaining that sort of speed, my opinion. 

• Like 1