Unfit to fly

Hello. I was scheduled to fly out of Thailand today but I'm having a high fever and a bad sore throat. I'm at the clinic now waiting to see the doctor. It's unlikely that I will be able to fly today. 

The next flight to my destination is a week from now and I'm in Thailand under the visa amnesty. What should I do?  I really had no intention of staying after the amnesty period.

I'm in Chiang Mai. Please help.

Thank you.

Manage first your health! You can have dengue or chikungunya! If some can get your  extension it's great! Other hand when you are "feewer free" get next flight and pay fine in Suvanabhumi airport's IO.(3500 bth).

Hope you get well soon! ????

(If you flight is late today ask medicine that can hit your feewer down until you get in plane! Take taxi and ask driver put ac blow really full power put valve straight on your forehead. Take taxi to entrance and go fast in feewer check!) if you want give it a try!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

There is an allowance for a medical emergency, but it requires a medical note for a reputable facility.

If you  have  been tested negative for Covid 19 this may certify you as acceptable to the airline. However, I don't know if you have time to do that.

On a reassuring note, there is a bad cold going around and if you have not lost your sense of smell, and do not have a cough, chances are you have the cold.

If you do not feel comfortable flying, please do not. Do not let anyone pressure you into travel. A bad cold can feel alot worse onboard the aircraft. More importantly,  if you have a high fever you will be stopped at the airport and have to go through screening  and could be blocked from travel. If you start coughing onboard  you may not like the result when people start to panic.

• Like 1

All the big hospitals can get you an extension. Have them do it. 10 years ago I had to stay here a few extra days for medical reasons. The hospital said, "We could get you an extension, but it would be cheaper and easier to pay the overstay." That was before Thailand got so uptight about any overstay. In recent years, until I got a new passport, that 3 day overstay was scrutinized every time I went through immigration.

Tough call.

I think it's safe to say we've all flown, or at least those who fly a lot, when sick. I know I have. And I've been on hundreds of flights where there have been people with colds.

But these times are a bit different, I guess?

Being in Chiang Mai complicates things as you may be denied boarding for CNX-BKK flight?

And you can't go to Immigration in person for fear of infecting the crowds there.

Getting a third-party from a hospital to process an emergency extension of what, seven days, seems reasonable. What other option is there? Overstay? Can one fly domestically if on an overstay without issue?

If there is one thing during these insane times that should get immigration to give out a medical extension that would be fever & flu-like symptoms......

Just make sure to use a very reputable hospital & let their people deal with immigration!

You could even take up any offers of a bed for a night or three, as that is what really makes the extension go through...

2 hours ago, tygerstar said:

The next flight to my destination is a week from now and I'm in Thailand under the visa amnesty. What should I do?  I really had no intention of staying after the amnesty period.

You can a apply for a extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied. The 7 days would start on Sunday.

Best to check for flights out of the country to confirm you can leave before the 7 days end.

37 minutes ago, Mormolin said:

I am wondering what will happen with your fly tickets if you are unfit to fly? Would the airline company will reschedule you flight for free?

Usually, no.  You would have to pay the normal airline fees to change your ticket and get reimbursed by your travel insurance if you have any.  But since covid, some airlines are waving all change fees and allow changes for any reason for free.