Video: Schoolgirl mown down on zebra crossing - driver claims she ran out

webfact

1 hour ago, johng said:

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.

The false sense of security for the unwary. My wife forces me to never walk on a crossing, the reason she said was drivers will actually speed up just not to stop at the crossings. Rather wait for a break in the traffic and cross where and when it is safe. She is different.

Thai people have such a time consuming demeanor, until they get in a car, then they do not have a second to loose. Weird.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I am always really worried when I drive my car or ride my bike in CM of being rear ended when I stop at the crossings for pedestrians. 

In a car I stop when pedestrians are at a crossing. Unfortunately, this has added risk. 

If I stop, sometimes the car next to me stops, then motorcycles continue to scream between us.

Or, of course there is the idiot who’s not paying attention and will rear end you. But the same idiot may rear end someone if slowing to turn or stop for lights - thats always a risk. 

On the motorcycle, if I am first, I don’t stop for the obvious reasons that the car behind is likely to be ‘pushing’ me not to stop - self preservation then takes over. 

1 hour ago, johng said:

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.

I agree about the false sense of security Johng.     But zebra crossings are not an enemy causing the problem.

Pedestrians must maintain vigilance at all times when crossing the street.   Having the attitude that the pedestrian in a crosswalk has the "right of way" is a  certain recipe for disaster.

Thailand has a long way to go with driving education.

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

First time I have seen this ad ! but to a Thai driver it appears to mean Jack <deleted> after all some are just learning to pull aside for Ambulances in an emergency situation !

On the way to DLT of all places, I saw several drivers driving the wrong side of the road, had no idea how to use blinkers nor what all these drawings on the road mean... Sad state of affairs. They should just put the cameras up on the drive way and deny license extensions to those who do stupid stuff on the way to their office... I'd guess at least 30% would lose their licenses that way...

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

On the way to DLT of all places, I saw several drivers driving the wrong side of the road, had no idea how to use blinkers nor what all these drawings on the road mean... Sad state of affairs. They should just put the cameras up on the drive way and deny license extensions to those who do stupid stuff on the way to their office... I'd guess at least 30% would lose their licenses that way...

Good idea but unfortunately I believe something like 80% don't possess a driver's licence

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In a car I stop when pedestrians are at a crossing. Unfortunately, this has added risk. 

If I stop, sometimes the car next to me stops, then motorcycles continue to scream between us.

Or, of course there is the idiot who’s not paying attention and will rear end you. But the same idiot may rear end someone if slowing to turn or stop for lights - thats always a risk. 

On the motorcycle, if I am first, I don’t stop for the obvious reasons that the car behind is likely to be ‘pushing’ me not to stop - self preservation then takes over. 

Yeah it is a <deleted>-shoot on a motorcycle. Even several weeks ago making a right turn, an old Thai man on a motorcycle coming opposite direction blew through stopping to turn left and I had to slow to stop from hitting him, then the brainless woman riding a motorcycle riding my behind ran right in to me. Her fault and insurance paid 15k to replace my bumper. Just a recipe for disaster on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Staxer said:

When are the Thai government going to address this carnage on the roads. Poor kid.

All the police on inactive posts could be sent to patrol the crossings.  Walk with the pedestrians.  Take notes on unsafe drivers so they can be warned or punished.  Are no CCTV cameras set to record these danger areas?

And public information on TV about the purposes of these crossings so no-one can say they did not know.

29 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Why not change the name to 'pedestrian crossings' Same as Australia?

I was going to say "Yep, easily done:-  ทางม้าลาย"

But put "pedestrian crossing" in google translation from English to Thai but then do the reverse ทางม้าลาย from Thai to English.....????

14 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

I was going to say "Yep, easily done:-  ทางม้าลาย"

But put "pedestrian crossing" in google translation from English to Thai but then do the reverse ทางม้าลาย from Thai to English.....????

translates to Crossing Pedestrian? bandenspoor op gezicht... misschien iets voor Halloween? | Face painting  halloween, Diy halloween face, Halloween costumes makeup 

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

I've seen many westerners who walk slowly across Zebra crossing in Thailand not knowing the danger it posed.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

They should remove the zebra crossings in Thailand. The most dangerous place to cross the road. I have nearly been run over twice crossing them,

even more dangerous for someone on a motorbike that stops, the chance of getting rear ended are significant 

Today you have lots of paint being used and more signs but the problem no one knows what these things actually mean and those who are supposed to enforce is part of the group from leaders, judges, police none of them ever been taught properly so the problems continue because the police will be judge and jury instead of applying the law and moving it forwards to the courts.

The solution, the insurance will make the pay out and the BIB will be just happy with that because they actually think they have solved the problem when in fact they are the problem.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Never trust them here 

They looked like they were in the middle of the road, he must have seen them but the speed that he was going he couldn't do anything, the student with her had a lucky escape.

As the video shows the driver is an animal.

5 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Most drivers don't stop at all. I see this every day at school.

You go to a zebra crossing and it seems that once they see you crossing the road, they accelerate.

Also, whenever crossing a side road, cars coming out of this road never ever let you cross the road.

They probably think that they are superior because if you need to walk, you must be low class.

..well it is all about education..but when the fine is 200 baht, how ever are pedestrians going to win?...saying that, ALL pedestrian crossings should have flashing lights, clear signage on the approaches and surface painted regularly, plus a Crossing Guard provided by the Amphur Office during school hours..that should help methinks.

Edited by tandor

Oh how many times cars have raced past me on the inside while stopped at a zebra crossing very nearly hitting a pedestrian. Just to get ahead of others. Yes, they are animals and idiots. Jail for manslaughter at least. Put police patrols on the road and catch these animals like most civilized countries.

28 minutes ago, tandor said:

..well it is all about education..but when the fine is 200 baht, how ever are pedestrians going to win?...saying that, ALL pedestrian crossings should have flashing lights, clear signage on the approaches and surface painted regularly, plus a Crossing Guard provided by the Amphur Office during school hours..that should help methinks.

There is a pedestrian crossing in town in town that even has traffic lights and guess what .... drivers fly through them aswell. If walking or driving here I suggest activating your spidey senses because you need eyes everywhere. From driving on the wrong side of the road, on pavements, slamming breaks on and then indicating. If indicators are on, one can pull out infront of any fast moving traffic and flashing lights at someone means I am coming so you better get out of the way and allsorts of buffoonery at traffic lights. I see this and more on a daily basis and I dont see it changing anytime soon.