Jump to content

Video: Schoolgirl mown down on zebra crossing - driver claims she ran out


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

Thai society is not mature enough to have ‘zebra crossings’ the reliance on everyone to ‘do the right thing’ is too much and those crossing the road are too vulnerable - I agree with those posters so

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, johng said:

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.

The false sense of security for the unwary. My wife forces me to never walk on a crossing, the reason she said was drivers will actually speed up just not to stop at the crossings. Rather wait for a break in the traffic and cross where and when it is safe. She is different.

 

Thai people have such a time consuming demeanor, until they get in a car, then they do not have a second to loose. Weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I am always really worried when I drive my car or ride my bike in CM of being rear ended when I stop at the crossings for pedestrians. 

 

In a car I stop when pedestrians are at a crossing. Unfortunately, this has added risk. 

If I stop, sometimes the car next to me stops, then motorcycles continue to scream between us.

Or, of course there is the idiot who’s not paying attention and will rear end you. But the same idiot may rear end someone if slowing to turn or stop for lights - thats always a risk. 

 

On the motorcycle, if I am first, I don’t stop for the obvious reasons that the car behind is likely to be ‘pushing’ me not to stop - self preservation then takes over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johng said:

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.

 

I agree about the false sense of security Johng.     But zebra crossings are not an enemy causing the problem.

 

Pedestrians must maintain vigilance at all times when crossing the street.   Having the attitude that the pedestrian in a crosswalk has the "right of way" is a  certain recipe for disaster.

 

Thailand has a long way to go with driving education.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

First time I have seen this ad ! but to a Thai driver it appears to mean Jack <deleted> after all some are just learning to pull aside for Ambulances in an emergency situation !

On the way to DLT of all places, I saw several drivers driving the wrong side of the road, had no idea how to use blinkers nor what all these drawings on the road mean... Sad state of affairs. They should just put the cameras up on the drive way and deny license extensions to those who do stupid stuff on the way to their office... I'd guess at least 30% would lose their licenses that way...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

On the way to DLT of all places, I saw several drivers driving the wrong side of the road, had no idea how to use blinkers nor what all these drawings on the road mean... Sad state of affairs. They should just put the cameras up on the drive way and deny license extensions to those who do stupid stuff on the way to their office... I'd guess at least 30% would lose their licenses that way...

Good idea but unfortunately I believe something like 80% don't possess a driver's licence

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

In a car I stop when pedestrians are at a crossing. Unfortunately, this has added risk. 

If I stop, sometimes the car next to me stops, then motorcycles continue to scream between us.

Or, of course there is the idiot who’s not paying attention and will rear end you. But the same idiot may rear end someone if slowing to turn or stop for lights - thats always a risk. 

 

On the motorcycle, if I am first, I don’t stop for the obvious reasons that the car behind is likely to be ‘pushing’ me not to stop - self preservation then takes over. 

Yeah it is a <deleted>-shoot on a motorcycle. Even several weeks ago making a right turn, an old Thai man on a motorcycle coming opposite direction blew through stopping to turn left and I had to slow to stop from hitting him, then the brainless woman riding a motorcycle riding my behind ran right in to me. Her fault and insurance paid 15k to replace my bumper. Just a recipe for disaster on a daily basis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lujanit said:

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

Maybe they think they are just for Zebras. 

240920_164543.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Maybe they think they are just for Zebras. 

240920_164543.jpg

Why not change the name to 'pedestrian crossings' Same as Australia?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

this maybe would help to slow down those idiots with their lowered and tuned pick-up trucks.

3 dimensional zebra crossing.

296578AA-89EB-4C7E-9341-3D03A8F42E2C_4_5005_c.jpeg

It's of no use if they are either high or drunk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Staxer said:

When are the Thai government going to address this carnage on the roads. Poor kid.

All the police on inactive posts could be sent to patrol the crossings.  Walk with the pedestrians.  Take notes on unsafe drivers so they can be warned or punished.  Are no CCTV cameras set to record these danger areas?

And public information on TV about the purposes of these crossings so no-one can say they did not know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Why not change the name to 'pedestrian crossings' Same as Australia?

I was going to say "Yep, easily done:-  ทางม้าลาย"

But put "pedestrian crossing" in google translation from English to Thai but then do the reverse ทางม้าลาย from Thai to English.....😆

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lujanit said:

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

where I live, near a Makro on one side and a small shopping mall on the next, red lights mean NOTHING

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

Good idea but unfortunately I believe something like 80% don't possess a driver's licence

Do you think the 20% with a licence drive any better? The Thai test is a farce. How can you assess a person for a licence without taking them out on the open road? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...