Video: Schoolgirl mown down on zebra crossing - driver claims she ran out

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

Thai society is not mature enough to have ‘zebra crossings’ the reliance on everyone to ‘do the right thing’ is too much and those crossing the road are too vulnerable - I agree with those posters so

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.  

Posted Images

18 hours ago, johng said:

Totally agree they just give unwary pedestrians a false sense of security.

World Class Thailand - I don't think so .....!!!!!!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, lujanit said:

Most Thai drivers have no idea what a zebra crossing means. You take your life in your own hands using one.

I am sure they know what they mean, they just don't care. A 10 second wait for them is worth more than your life.

• Thanks 1

Being allowed to park on or near a pedestrian crossing (AS seems to be the case here) is ridiculous no zig zag lines (no parking) or flashing beacons visible to drivers.1724395725_images(39).jpg.c22d7e9290ce55202f38403c71331b9c.jpg

• Like 1

One problem that some people seem to now grasp is that they are NOT in their home country. 
Pedestrians do not have the "right of way" like they do in places such as the USA. 
For some,  this lesson comes with some pain. 

• Like 2

Holidaying in Pattaya I risked my life whenever I tried to cross the road on 2nd Road or Beach Road I used the zebra crossing but all the drivers just ignored it they did stop at traffic lights but the traffic light crossings on 2nd road were not working and were not repaired in the month that I was there. This is a strange attitude to have in a city that wants tourists who "Walk and Gawk" and visit the bars, shops and clubs in the area.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, ChipButty said:

Never trust them here 

Yes. Trust is a word/concept you should purge from your consciousness soon after arriving in the Kingdom. It has no meaning here and can never serve you well. 

To paraphrase an old addage:

Don't trust. Verify first, last, and always. 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, lujanit said:

In some US States, zebra crossings mean pedestrians have the right of way and drivers must stop.  In other US states, all they mean is that it's legal for pedestrians to cross there.  They convey no right of way.  Same in China where zebra crossings at red lights are common.  But it's the red light that conveys the right of way- not the zebra stripes.  In BKK Chinatown, there are zebra crossings all over, with a red light to let pedestrians know when they have the right of way.

So it's not hard to understand why they're misinterpreted.  Mostly by the pedestrians, though.

Oh, and foreign drivers who think the rules in their home city apply all over the world.  Hometown rules and customs may not even be valid when you cross a state line, much less an international border.

Edited by impulse