Is it possible to apply for the COVID extension next week after paying overstay fines?

Hypothetically, if one were still waiting on an embassy letter, is it possible to apply for the extension with embassy letter on say, Wednesday, and pay 3 days overstay fines and then apply for the +30? Seem to remember this was possible back in April.

edit: and before the pedants attack, I know there's no such thing as a COVID extension, I was just trying to make the title succinct ???? 

Edited by greggraham

Of course you can apply.  Whether you will get approved for 30 days will likely be at discretion of the IO handling your application.  They could allow you to stay only 7 days with no possibility of further extension.(This would be worst case scenario).  Either way, you will end up paying 1900 + your 3 days overstay(1500).  I think @ubonjoe, may be able to give his experienced answer to this question.

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Without being dramatic, worst case could be IDC and deportation.

Yes, I assumed that he made it to immigration without crossing paths with law enforcement.  If you present yourself at any immigration office having overstayed, it is understood that you are attempting to correct that, so you won't be arrested, but you WILL be given one week to leave after paying all penalties.  Ostensibly, if you don't leave after that...then you WILL be arrested and detained/deported.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It would be a 4 day overstay on Wednesday (27,28,29 and 30th). The day you apply you are sill on a overstay.

They have done extensions before with longer overstays and showing them the date on your embassy letter would help.

@ubonjoe   Would he get 30 days or 7 days?  What would normally happen during non-covid times? And what is likely to happen during this time?

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Would he get 30 days or 7 days?  What would normally happen during non-covid times? And what is likely to happen during this time?

If he has a letter from his embassy it would be for 30 days. The 7 days is only given if person does not qualify for an extension.

• Thanks 1