Any Reports On Chiang Mai flooding

sammieuk1

There was a big downpour,  followed by thunder lightning in the early morning. 3 AM and 6 or 7. There is localized flooding. The moat around the central CM overflowed in a couple locations. Water by Nimm plaza, and likely other places, Hand Dong etc.

That said I do not think that bad at all. Just drove out to Big C Mae Hia, on Hang Dong Road from Central airport 4 way, then mahidol to bridge over Ping. The route to and from where I live. You would never know it flooded. Just big overflows in usual places.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Serious flooding on 108 has closed the North bound lanes just North of Hang Dong Village from around the Shell Petrol Station up to the next set of lights where most people turn for Kad Farang Village etc.   I went up there just before they closed it at 10am and even on the outside lane my cars exhaust was under water and giving me hiccup movements until i staggered out of it. They should have closed it much earlier.  Having been to Rimping and had lunch in the Food Court i came back down and the flooding was almost as bad on the Southbound lanes.

We live in Rungaroon Village and at 0430 this morning the roads in the Moobahn were flooded and the water was about a third of the way up my drive, which thankfully is on a slope.   It had receded by 0700 and back to normal; the sun has been out all day but more rain forecast for tonight it seems, so it's baton down the hatches and stand by the Lifeboats !

If your home is on the other side of 108 there is a good chance that things are bad over there as that is the direction all the water is going on its way to the River Ping but i have no idea how good or bad things may be.  However; this happened two years ago as well and things normally return to normal after a day or two.

• Thanks 1

I left home early this morning (5:30 am) and even though it rained most of the night there was some water in the roads (HangDong area) but nothing major. Then returning home around 11 am many streets were flooded. There were even streets in my mooban that were closed which caused me to take an alternate route home, an alternate route than how I left earlier in the morning.

I don't think it rained that much more after I left and the flooding had occurred because the water had nowhere to go. Thailand's infrastructure is setup so that the rain water runs off into the canals. But with the canals being blocked up due to trash and tree debris (limbs & leaves) the water could not move through the canal system into the Ping River, thus the backup causing flooding.

My drive back home takes me along one of the canal systems and I noticed a couple of backhoes trenching them out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Nothing to worry about.  This is just excessive rainfall that drains within a few hours.  Only need to worry about the Ping River flooding.  That takes a while to clear & causes the damage.

How can the Ping river flood when the water can't reach it?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

It is quite simple if you apply some thought dingdongrb!

Water from streams and tributaries for a few hundred kms upcountry runs into the Ping long before it reaches CM. The water from CM city flooding is a very small part of the equation. So with rains from here to Myanmar the Ping has a greatly increased flow, but unlike the floods years ago the enlarged sluice gates below the city can handle this and so there should be no riverine inundation, just short term flooding due to lack of cleaning of the city drainage system and new houses that are built on flood prone land. See!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brommers said:

It is quite simple if you apply some thought dingdongrb!

Water from streams and tributaries for a few hundred kms upcountry runs into the Ping long before it reaches CM. The water from CM city flooding is a very small part of the equation. So with rains from here to Myanmar the Ping has a greatly increased flow, but unlike the floods years ago the enlarged sluice gates below the city can handle this and so there should be no riverine inundation, just short term flooding due to lack of cleaning of the city drainage system and new houses that are built on flood prone land. See!

I'm totally aware of how rivers are formed as I come from a mountainous region in the USA. Just like the canals locally, if those streams that form the river are blocked then the river won't fill. In the case of yesterday the flooding was due to local canals being blocked, which can cause damage. So saying that only the Ping river causes damage is ludicrous, that was the point I was trying to make. 

22 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

How can the Ping river flood when the water can't reach it?

The minor flooding on Hangdong road or similar areas west of the Ping last a very short time.  The water DOES eventually reach the Ping.  The big problem for Chiang Mai is when lots of water enters the river north of the city & this builds up, flooding the city & areas to the south.  This doesn't subside quickly (hopefully the new gates improve this) & water in flooded areas keeps rising as more water drains from the north. What happened yesterday was "flash flooding".  Maybe a problem in some areas for a limited time, but a "blip" compared to, say 2011.

39 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

The minor flooding on Hangdong road or similar areas west of the Ping last a very short time.  The water DOES eventually reach the Ping.  The big problem for Chiang Mai is when lots of water enters the river north of the city & this builds up, flooding the city & areas to the south.  This doesn't subside quickly (hopefully the new gates improve this) & water in flooded areas keeps rising as more water drains from the north. What happened yesterday was "flash flooding".  Maybe a problem in some areas for a limited time, but a "blip" compared to, say 2011.

Sad to say but flash flooding killed 5 folks back in 1997 just a few mile from my house and flooded my basement as well causing well over $5k in damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Creek_(Fort_Collins,_Colorado)

And if you want to talk about another of the flash floods I know about try reading up on this one that has occurred several times and killed over a hundred once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thompson_River

I never said the flooding yesterday was major but 'blips' do cause damage and death.

NOTE: The Spring Creek flood was caused by debris stopping the flow of the creek. 

4 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Well that was not at all clear in what you wrote.  Doubtful guessable.

Here's all I wrote:

"How can the Ping river flood when the water can't reach it?"

Sorry if you do have reading comprehension issues and are guessing at everything you read.