Dogs antibiotics, can we give people antibiotics to dogs and how to you give the pills ? hard to hide in food ?

abonsa

17 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

The vet we use put one of our chihuahua's on antibiotics, I looked them up same ones a doctor would give

Place the meds in the mutts mouth, lift his head so the nose it high up and hold mouth shut, also rub under his neck at the same time

He will swallow the meds

Tried that many times with no success! Even placing the tablet right at the back of the tongue. My old dad used to be able to do it. 

Weird. ????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Perhaps you should post when you actually know.

There is no difference between the 'human' medicine and the one for dogs. Which is the question that was actually posed.

Too much drama. I'm sure the OP knew about vets before you mentioned them.

In my case, the dog lived on the beach; no chance to take to a vet and certainly no chance to pry it's jaws open.

No need for convoluted feeding instructions needing two people; the tablet can be crushed. I crushed between two spoons; but if a capsule, can simply open it. Contents won't last long.

Dog was certainly grateful for the help.

You are incorrect in your statement that there is no difference between medication given to humans and animals.

I asked this question only recently of my veterinary surgeon who mentioned a few drugs used by humans that should not be given to animals.

I prefer her opinion over that of a so called TV expert.

If you are not prepared to give your pets relatively inexpensive professional treatment give them to someone who will.

• Haha 1

I had bad eczema as a kid and it regularly got infected, so I would be prescribed Oxytetracycline tablets.

Our dog started suffering from skin issues and the vet prescribed 7 tablets (1 per day) for £7. (this was the early 70s).

They turned out to be exactly the same as my tablets, so next time the dog was suffering, mum just ordered a repeat prescription for me. (90 tablets free of charge).

if only ebay had been around in those days.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

You are incorrect in your statement that there is no difference between medication given to humans and animals.

I asked this question only recently of my veterinary surgeon who mentioned a few drugs used by humans that should not be given to animals.

These are TWO DIFFERENT arguments! And neither supports the other.

I think you meant to write "a few drugs used by humans that should not be prescribed or administered to animals". Still, this has nothing to do with if the packaged compounds are identical.

Edited by RichCor

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I prefer her opinion over that of a so called TV expert.

If you are not prepared to give your pets relatively inexpensive professional treatment give them to someone who will.

If you are not prepared to read and comprehend what was written before, perhaps best to leave the commenting to someone else.

It is a dog on a beach in Thailand and I did my research beforehand. Where did I write that it was my dog?

Which is why I can say that the ingredients are the same and the OP can give them to his dog, as long as not allergic to Penicillin and/or Cyclosporins.

Since you claimed to asked your vet, what was her option on giving Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid to a dog?

I guess no opinion, as she only told you about things to NOT give a dog. Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid would not be one of the things that she advised against.

Nobody here cares as to whether you would prefer your vet's opinion over mine, least of all me. It's not your thread. The OP asked and I have answered.

They can look through my posts and decide for themselves. Your post is totally irrelevant; to both myself and the OP, as it contains nothing pertaining to the OP's question; but just a general ramble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, Eindhoven said:

Perhaps you should post when you actually know.

There is no difference between the 'human' medicine and the one for dogs. Which is the question that was actually posed.

Too much drama. I'm sure the OP knew about vets before you mentioned them.

In my case, the dog lived on the beach; no chance to take to a vet and certainly no chance to pry it's jaws open.

No need for convoluted feeding instructions needing two people; the tablet can be crushed. I crushed between two spoons; but if a capsule, can simply open it. Contents won't last long.

Dog was certainly grateful for the help.

You're great !

21 hours ago, userabcd said:

It would probably be better to see and get a vet to prescribe something.

www.certapet.com/amoxicillin-for-dogs/

And from the linked article:

''Human amoxicillin is not the same as veterinarian amoxicillin. Amoxicillin for humans might contain ingredients that are unsafe for dogs. Ingredients toxic to dogs include artificial flavorings, colors, preservatives, and xylitol. The dosing for humans and animals is also different.''

The same vets that tell you to give dry food to your dogs maybe ? The same idiots who just repeat what is told to them by the brands because they get paid for this ? I use vets, i do not trust them, they are mostly greedy idiots.

2 minutes ago, abonsa said:

The same vets that tell you to give dry food to your dogs maybe ? The same idiots who just repeat what is told to them by the brands because they get paid for this ? I use vets, i do not trust them, they are mostly greedy idiots.

Took a friendly and popular soi dog to a vet on Sukhumvit. She asked for 3500 baht before she would even inspect the dog. Pathetic.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:20 AM, Lacessit said:

I don't know if it's a good idea to give human medication to dogs.

There is a simple technique to administer pills to dogs. Vets can do it on their own, they have the practice, better with two people involved.

Hold the top jaw of the dog so the flaps of the mouth are folded over the top teeth. It stops the dog from biting. Then pry open the bottom jaw on the front. When the mouth is open, the second person tosses the pill down the dog's throat. Release the top jaw, keep the mouth closed, and rub the throat gently. The pill won't be coming back.

Don't try it on a cat.

That’s the way I do it but the odd time they will shove it to the side of their mouth if it doesn’t go all the way down when you throw them in at first , then wander off and spit it out . As for the Pomeranian we have , forget trying that technique as he will have you fingers off in seconds ????

4 hours ago, tifino said:

and then follow with a block of chocolate... emulating the next step 'Reward' pseudo of a human child - of the patting the kid on the head for eating all that horrible medicine all up

If you want to make the dog sick or possibly kill it yes ! ????

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, worgeordie said:

Nay,nay not a good idea,

regards worgeordie

Aha. So your mother tried them on you it seems.

Do you have seasonal hay fever problems, love a handful of sugar cubes occasionally, use a saw to trim your toenails ? These are all symptoms of a bad drug reaction.

Just be glad she didn't geld you. ????

• 2 weeks later...