How to test speed of a known IP address

skippybangkok

Select an app like Speedtest by Ookla (see speedtest.net) which allows you to choose a server worldwide (they came 11'000 are available). They offer apps for iOs, Android,  Windows,  Mac etc

I am happy with it. I was previously looking for an app where I could enter a web address for testing, but didn't find any.

Also don't forget that big websites like Netflix have a variety of servers / DNA access points,  so you really don't know which server will be chosen and where through the connection will be routed. 2 tests to the same server within minutes can give you completely different results based on routing chosen and general internet traffic volume 

• Like 1

If you control the server and can install applications there are several utilities you can install on both the server and client that will give you performance reports, some utilities are included with private VPN solutions so you can test the efficacy of different encryption schemes.

A second method is to remote into the server and run your client's Internet Service Provider perferred speedtest. This will give you an approximate speed from the server to your ISP's network operations center.

If you DON'T control the server then the best you might do is download a large file and time it. A bit fiddly but it will give you a close approximation.

• Like 1

Download a large file from the server you're talking about and measure the speed multiple times over some period of time.

Using a domestic connection might not be the best way to do this.

I find that server to server transfers give a lot better indication of speeds between geographic points.

Something like curl on the linux command will suffice, output the file to /dev/null to remove disk performance from the timing.

For example, downloading a file sized 500 MB of 1GB once an hour every hour for a week and timing it will give you a pretty good measure.

• Like 1

When you say you want to test an IP address of a known server in the USA, what are you trying to measure; network latency, throughput or application response time to your computer.

I attached a pdf (IP testing) file with some ideas for your testing; don't be overwhelmed most of it is explanations; the actual test process is only a few steps.

IP testing.pdf