Beef prices

JDJD

I need to get beef here in BKK. Ideally I could get frozen 1/4lb burger patties but the dozen like McDonalds. I have been to FoodLand on Suk Soi 7. Ground beef is something like 325KG (Around 4.50lb) It's mostly water weight. Not good. Big C has fresh ground for 400KG. (B99 for 250G)  Tastes good, above average quality. Klong Toey outdoor market has beef but it's finely chopped, not ground. It also obviously has NO preservatives as it turns to dark grey in 24 hours,  refrigerated. I haven't asked. Will Klong Toey "grind" the beef if I ask? Maybe you have another source or ground meat. Not chicken or pork. I'd even take fatty steaks under 325KG. I'm starting a diet. Thank you. 

Try the Thai French Butcher on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1

I usually get Beef from there - most reasonable value (price vs quality). 

KU beef is also ok (Kasetsart Univiersity beef). 

Obviously imported beef is better, but a lot more pricey. 

You will be able to choose your cut and then ask them to mince it. i.e. Chuck which is probably best for minced beef.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Makro either does sell or used to sell this. Makroclick | เนื้อล้วนบดแช่แข็ง วัวออสเตรเลีย 1,000 กรัม

Perfectly good for any good ground beef recipe including hamburgers.  Not sure of the current price per kg.

Macro sell frozen Thai 'Wagyu' beefburgers, doubting whether they have ever seen Japan, but they are very reasonable, better than Tescos.

14 hours ago, stouricks said:

Macro sell frozen Thai 'Wagyu' beefburgers, doubting whether they have ever seen Japan, but they are very reasonable, better than Tescos.

The Australian Wagyu Association is the largest breed association outside Japan. Both full blood and Wagyu cross cattle are farmed in Australia for domestic and overseas markets, including Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the U.K., France, Germany, Denmark and the U.S. Australian Wagyu cattle are grain fed for the last 300–500 days of production.

52 minutes ago, Big Joke said:

The Australian Wagyu Association is the largest breed association outside Japan. Both full blood and Wagyu cross cattle are farmed in Australia for domestic and overseas markets, including Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the U.K., France, Germany, Denmark and the U.S. Australian Wagyu cattle are grain fed for the last 300–500 days of production.

The Macro Wagyu Burgers are made from THAI Wagyu beef!

Wagyu Burgers.jpg

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Makro either does sell or used to sell this. Makroclick | เนื้อล้วนบดแช่แข็ง วัวออสเตรเลีย 1,000 กรัม

Perfectly good for any good ground beef recipe including hamburgers.  Not sure of the current price per kg.

I tried this for a burger night month ago, and was pleasantly surprised. Would recommend, and it was cheap. Tops has the same beef but in a smaller package and higher price.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I buy 150 day grain fed beef from Australia in Tops and it is expensive, but good.

2000 Baht + per kilo.

But I have bought cheese in the UK more expensive, so what the hell.

Thanks OEJ. That comes out to about $7.57 USD per quarter pound patty. Sounds delicious. Let me know next time you are having a BBQ. ;)

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Try the Thai French Butcher on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1

I usually get Beef from there - most reasonable value (price vs quality). 

KU beef is also ok (Kasetsart Univiersity beef). 

Obviously imported beef is better, but a lot more pricey. 

You will be able to choose your cut and then ask them to mince it. i.e. Chuck which is probably best for minced beef.

Thanks RS. Do you have an estimate of the cost? This sounds promising. :)

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

Thanks Stouricks. Sounds like Macro has both frozen patties and this 1KG bag. Any idea of the prices for either? Ballpark? 

3 minutes ago, JDJD said:

Thanks Stouricks. Sounds like Macro has both frozen patties and this 1KG bag. Any idea of the prices for either? Ballpark? 

In the Makro mail today Pro Butcher minced beef 295 Baht a Kilo

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Why don't you buy the preservative free beef from the market, make your burgers, and then freeze them? 

Thanks Rick. I think this is my best option thus far. The problem is that they don't seem to use a meat grinder. It's more of a knife chopped. My Thai isn't good enough yet to make the necessary request. Maybe I'll drag a friend along. Cheers. :)

5 hours ago, stouricks said:

The Macro Wagyu Burgers are made from THAI Wagyu beef!

Wagyu Burgers.jpg

I was just pointing out that Wagyu beef is not exclusive to Japan. Patties in Scotland are made with Scottish Wagyu beef as the offcuts are relatively cheap compared to the steak cuts. It is a good selling point.

Whats's it like?

British Wagyu meat is one of our popular products, because it come direct from our own farm, here at Kezie. We're proud to fly the Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) flag, so can guarantee you a supreme product.

Our British Wagyu meat is sourced direct from our own farm.

Home bred here at Kezie

Our Wagyu Burgers are manufactured by us, here at Kezie.

Our Wagyu Beef is graded 5-6 on the marbling scale

Pack includes 2x Scottish Wagyu Quarter Pounders

Price: £2.94

Edited by Big Joke
spelling

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

That, my friend worgeordie, is exactly what I am looking for. Is that a weekly mailer with a sale price? 

21 hours ago, JDJD said:

It also obviously has NO preservatives as it turns to dark grey in 24 hours,

this is oxidization, where the meat is exposed to the air, pretty common here as meat is not immediatly vac packed
vac packing your meat as soon as you get it home can reduce the oxidization quite a bit
but previous exposure will still prevent the meat remaining red for upto 3 months like you may usually expect when meat is vac packed early on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDJD said:

That, my friend worgeordie, is exactly what I am looking for. Is that a weekly mailer with a sale price? 

Sale Price......well down 4 Thb, but then every Baht helps.in my Makro they have about 

3 kinds of Pro Butcher minced Beef  .Wagyu,Thai Braham, and another.

regards Worgeordie

16 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Sale Price......well down 4 Thb, but then every Baht helps.in my Makro they have about 

3 kinds of Pro Butcher minced Beef  .Wagyu,Thai Braham, and another.

regards Worgeordie

Is that well, down 4b from the regular price? 299 regular price 295 sale price? Oh Thailand. 555 Yes every baht helps. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

For grass-fed ground beef, burgers and steaks you cannot beat www.paleorobbie.com with free, next day delivery in Bangkok. Been a customer for several years.

I appreciate the info. Pretty snazzy website. $8.50LB ground and delivered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I found the Wagyu burgers better than the Pro Butcher ones, very little shrinkage and water/fat come out.

Last month Bht99 for two, now Bht 120, but still OK.

Edited by stouricks

370 baht per kilo for the Australian ground beef:

https://www.makroclick.com/en/products/821003?menuId=119

About 100 baht cheaper for the Thai stuff:

https://www.makroclick.com/en/products/185626?menuId=119

Free delivery if you spend over 3,000 baht, otherwise 60 baht delivery.

I always get the Aussie stuff for my spag bol. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now that I see the price list it looks even more promising. Interesting to see the price increase from 2011 vs 2018. May be a bit more now too. Thanks again! 

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Used some today in my Chilli con carne. Recommended. I chose the MS4+ Grain Fed 300 days variety. 165 baht for 500 grams. Pro Butcher have cheaper options, such as Brahman for 145 baht. That is less fatty, but of course a different taste and texture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my beef journey. I tried to get the beef from Klong Toey market again and it was just off. Not ground, more like finely chopped. That makes the fat not actually incorporated well into the protein. The flavor, even with seasoning, was not quite what I keep hoping for. It was B160kg. Good price. I visited FoodLand and their ground beef is something around B420kg, but they have frozen patties of the same beef for B145 you get .4kg so around B300kg for the frozen patties. Once thawed they did not hold their form in the pan very well. Tasted pretty good after seasoning. I tried to order from the Makro app but the app is requiring me to spend B1000. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. My next stop is the Thai French Bucharie. I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks to all of you for the good advice. I really appreciate it. Sincerely!

Edited by JDJD
  • Like 1