State of emergency set to be extended through October

snoop1130

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I agree with BritManToo.

The new long term visa scheme is intended as a money generator for those operating the quarantine, testing and resort facilities. They will have used a significant amount of "influence" to set it up, and have even created a company to process applications. You can be sure that in the agreement negotiated, it will be  understood that no other schemes will be available for at least a year. They will be looking at a return on their investment. In the (unlikely) event that it is profitable to them it may be extended and have capacity increased. 

What it has done has transferred control of, and any economic benefits from, the Tourist Industry to a few people, who have the ear of the government - the"good people".

They have closed the door to the sort of "uncontrolled" tourism which existed before.

You may be right, but Britmantoo was speculating that the 2 week quarantine will be an unconditional requirement for this visa until Sep next year.

I don't think we can state that for sure. For starters, as the Thai government regularly does, it will probably end up changing the eligibility criteria after a few weeks. We all know the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Secondly, we're only about 6 months into this unprecedented crisis. To have it last another year or longer with borders closed except for very restricted entry, would cause a collapse in the Thai economy. Of course the Thai government will obediently follow it's masters recommendations, but at this point it is useless to argue finer points like when quarantine will end. Nor can we say when unrestricted tourism will return, but I can't imagine a country with such a high dependence on mass tourism can or will abandon this cash cow overnight. To do so would depress the standard of living in the country down to at least Indonesian levels. 

This particular tourism scheme is intended to boost the coffers of a few beneficiaries but I can't see them making much money out of it in it's present form. Just about the only takers will be retirees and maybe digital nomads. I think it may eventually turn into another METV being a little more attractive in that each entry or extension is for 90 days. 

Anyway, speculating so far out what will happen in a year's time is completely useless. Let's dispense with this doom and gloom scenario and be realistic. I can't imagine Thai tourism operators dependent upon international tourists to sit quietly and not pressure the government to swing open the doors in a little while. Depends of course what other countries are doing. I give it 3 months before certain measures are loosened. 

For example, some "low risk" countries will likely see their facility quarantine requirements go down to 7 days with the remainder to be spent at their own accommodation (to make up the 14 days), something like that. Probably won't happen before around January, but that's sort of the way in which things should evolve. 

15 hours ago, petermik said:

I doubt whether the government will ever want it lifted....:whistling:

Actually, you have to wonder if this is in any way linked to the most recent article in the Nikkei Review about certain appointments and changes currently being over-ridden by absentee persons?

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

UK is under Covid-19 Control Measures, effectively the same thing with a different name.

In Thailand it is about maintaining centralised regulation, in the UK there are 4 nations with different regulations causing confusion, imagine the situation if all of the 77 provinces did things their own way.

Some already do. I think in a way, if some provinces did things their own way it would be fine but it depends what those measures are. I know Phang Nga acted in a knee jerk way earlier in the month by declaring it would reimpose disease control measures unilaterally, but could be they quietly stopped them now (they never seem to tell us once such measures are lifted though).

In the USA, it would be impossible for the federal government to declare it was taking over the roles and responsibilities of all states. 

I think Thailand should grant more autonomy to the provinces but ideally for a relatively small country there should be far fewer jurisdictions. 77 is way too many. It should be more like Myanmar, with what, around 10 states and territories. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely correct. And it is about protecting the wealthy, those that are connected, those that are in power, the entire toxic army, and the corrupt cops, customs and immigration officers. The Thai army. A hugely regressive entity moving the nation backwards. 

With no incoming tourists immigration officers may soon be out a job.

I can see how this scheme protects the wealthy (to some degree) but it certainly does nothing for a large segment of the population previously dependent upon large numbers of foreign arrivals. 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are wasting your breath, or finger power, the majority on here are not interested in prevention, just their own interests. Further restrictions would be of little consequence, as far as they are concerned, that would be for other people and self delusion makes them immune to the infection.

Thailand survived tYouhe Asian financial crisis and the tsunami but keyboard experts tend to suffer from selective memory loss. Only the mentally challenged would knowingly open the door to a covid tsunami. Much easier to deal with a high tide than 30 foot waves.

This is a far bigger crisis though.

The Asian financial crisis didn't result in restrictions on people's livelihoods or closed borders. It was actually a boomtime for tourism - as foreigners could come and spend freely since everything was so cheap. 56 Baht to the USD at one time! 86 Baht per GBP! 36 THB per AUD! Those were the golden times.

Will Thailand survive this crisis? In my opinion, if this continues for another 3-6 months followed by a fairly rapid reopening, then it will, though battered and bruised, things may eventually return to normal.

I don't see the country surviving another year or two (or God forbid if it takes longer than that) of closed borders though. It's not just about tourists, but investors will leave the country, no new ones will come. Toyota, Ford, Isuzu, Nissan, Mitsubishi, 3M, Adecco, all these companies and many more could easily take their investments with them and leave the country for brighter shores. 

I hope this doesn't happen but don't be surprised if it does. 

• Like 2

Just now, Expat Tom said:

Why would anyone expect any less ? Unless I am mistaken, isn't the current PM  the general who led a coup against the elected government and took power? Didn't he make a statement that he would step down and allow elections within 6 months of the coup? Didn't he impede campaigning by his political challengers? Did he and the "yunta' force changes in the constitution giving unelected seats in parliament to loyal appointed members of the military? Since I was living here through all of this, I am pretty sure that my memory does serve me correctly. 

So, why would ANYONE be shocked that the current PM, the former general who led a coup, not waste this good opportunity (AKA the CCP Wuhan Coronavirus) to continue his power grab?

"Rights and privileges, once taken away, are extremely hard to get back".  

True, but at the end of the day this is far bigger than Thailand. Covid is being used as an excuse for a power grab by autocratic governments worldwide, but even in so-called "democracies" such as Australia, the restrictions on personal freedoms are unprecedented. In fact, what's happening in Melbourne is far harsher than anything we experienced in Thailand back in April and May. 

I'll believe the farang who say that this is only happening in Thailand if the rest of the world is open while Thailand isn't though I don't see it happening that way. Time will tell though.

6 minutes ago, Madeline Thompson said:

It should end September 30th.  If it is extended Thais and foreigners

alike can only assume it will never be lifted.  At this point in the Thai

covid situation, there is absolutely no need for an emergency decree.

By any other name, it is a power grab.

True. Then again it's not just Thailand grappling with this insanity. Victorian premier Dan Andrews has spoken of a 12-month extension to it's state of emergency! 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And all this affects YOU how exactly?

It made me go to Thai immigration for two extensions when I still have a perfectly valid Non-O (until April 2021).

It made me put 400k in a dodgy Thai bank, when I wanted that money in my UK bank.

It made me cut short one holiday in Siem Reap (March), cancelled another holiday to Phnom Penh (April), and probably missed two holidays I would have had in Vietnam. 

But on the plus side ........

It's reduced my mortgage rate from 6.25% to 4.75%.

Reduced my kids university fees from 16k to 12k, and my other kids Junior school 'extras' from 8k to 6k.

Gave me enough money (saved from no holidays) to buy a real motorcycle at a bargain price (Thai sellers are desperate).

And made my sideline girl very affordable, as she claims I'm her only customer left (apart from a guy in Oz who sends her money for 'phone sex'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

The problem with all this is because the thai partners (China etc) have problems with some other disease related virus then Thailand don't want to open up to others. What the authorities don't say is that they don't test in the north east because it may impact on the squeaky clean record that pinocchio obviously determined. Their country is losing population because of suicide because people don't see any solution to anything. But they would rather spend money on submarines and airlines, than help out their own people. No wonder the protests are starting again. The 21st century people are sick of being pushed around by a army run state

• Like 2

Theres no more hope here. Government comes up with new ideas everyday, making false promises like stv, love is not tourism, phuket model, etc

They cant decide on things because they to suck up as much money as possible from foreigners, get corruption money from the businesses so the foreigners can spend on them first and look to try and show the public they are doing something and also not to scare them because of the falsely claim that foreigners tourist will contain covid. 

They cant decide whats best so they just screw it and extend emergency decree.  Lets face it, nothing is going to happen.  The poor will get poorer and small businesses will close but they dont care. They just care who can pay into their pockets

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dougiemac52 said:

The problem with all this is because the thai partners (China etc) have problems with some other disease related virus then Thailand don't want to open up to others. What the authorities don't say is that they don't test in the north east because it may impact on the squeaky clean record that pinocchio obviously determined. Their country is losing population because of suicide because people don't see any solution to anything. But they would rather spend money on submarines and airlines, than help out their own people. No wonder the protests are starting again. The 21st century people are sick of being pushed around by a army run state

Like I was sick of being pushed around by semi-stalinist Germany which calls herself a democracy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I don't think we can state that for sure. For starters, as the Thai government regularly does, it will probably end up changing the eligibility criteria after a few weeks. We all know the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Let's dispense with this doom and gloom scenario and be realistic.

1) I'm fairly sure the government knows exactly what it's doing.

But doesn't give a poop about it's various departments mouthing BS to the press every week.

2) I'm thinking the long term reality will be far far worse than we've ever speculated.

But would add when TSHTF Thailand is a good country to be in.

Food is all grown locally, my misses still has her mountain in Nan and the ability to revert to hunting and gathering. While I'd be totally reliant on shaky food/energy distribution systems still working if I were back in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo