Fax, mail or DHL? Overseas U.S. voters fret ahead of November 3 election

snoop1130

Overseas voters don't only need to worry about their ballots reaching intended destinations, but they should also watch out for phishing campaigns. Groups like China based APT TA413, have been ramping up their skills, with recent successful attacks sending emails impersonating the World Health Organization’s guidance on COVID-19 critical preparedness. Were they to send another round of emails to Americans claiming to contain urgent absentee voter info, they'd probably earn a lot more eager, infectious downloads than we'd like to think.

https://threatpost.com/chinese-apt-sepulcher-malware-phishing-attacks/158871/

On 9/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, khunjeff said:

Not all states allow faxed ballots.

Many states do NOT allow civilians overseas to return their ballots by fax and instead require their return by mail (USPS or private courier). It's all up to each person's individual state rules.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, Redline said:

Americans can mail their ballot to the US Embassy, and it will be sent to the USA in the Diplomatic pouch.  You can print out a cover sheet that has the post paid barcode on it for free US postal service delivery in the USA.

You can also go to the Embassy yourself, and drop it in the ballot box there.

Only 24 states require the ballot be mailed.  Follow the directions exactly according to your state~they can be confusing.

VOTE AND DO IT NOW!

Except the U.S. Embassy's recommended deadline for dropping off ballots with them in either BKK or CM was OCTOBER 1, and that time has now passed by a week.... Meaning for those who can't fax or otherwise electronically return their ballots, private courier delivery is going to be the safest option. EMS via ThaiPost is possible, but no guarantee at this point of having delivery in time, particularly because EMS once it arrives in the U.S. relies on U.S.P.S. for local delivery.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except the U.S. Embassy's recommended deadline for dropping off ballots with them in either BKK or CM was OCTOBER 1, and that time has now passed by a week.... Meaning for those who can't fax or otherwise electronically return their ballots, private courier delivery is going to be the safest option. EMS via ThaiPost is possible, but no guarantee at this point of having delivery in time, particularly because EMS once it arrives in the U.S. relies on U.S.P.S. for local delivery.

That’s a bummer.  I did mine as soon as it came in my email.  I took it there by hand-we had a group.  The only way then is To send it using an express company-I think around 30 dollars ???? 

0DCA3835-E8DF-4DDD-9386-F7126C7A0535.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Redline said:

To send it using an express company-I think around 30 dollars ???? 

I paid just over $20 USD yesterday... approx 750 baht, less than the cost of a regular EMS envelope to the U.S.... That rate is available both via DHL and UPS right now, if you place the shipping order online via their TH websites, and have them pick up your envelope at home. (The discount with UPS requires use of a promo code they're advertising on their TH website).

But for anyone intending to use one of the private couriers, make sure the address you use for your local elections office is their regular STREET address and NOT their P.O. Box address, as the P.O. Box addresses are only used by the U.S.P.S., and not the private courier services.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I paid just over $20 USD yesterday... approx 750 baht, less than the cost of a regular EMS envelope to the U.S.... That rate is available both via DHL and UPS right now, if you place the shipping order online via their TH websites, and have them pick up your envelope at home. (The discount with UPS requires use of a promo code they're advertising on their TH website).

But for anyone intending to use one of the private couriers, make sure the address you use for your local elections office is their regular STREET address and NOT their P.O. Box address, as the P.O. Box addresses are only used by the U.S.P.S., and not the private courier services.

Good to know.  Last time I sent a check FedEx, it was over thirty dollars