Jump to content

Work Permit Expiry or End of Extension Period


Recommended Posts

Asking for a friend.

 

Here's their situation

 

Work Permit expires in December. Company will be ceasing trading due to Covid, so no chance of a renewal.

 

However, in their passport is a stamp which says that they are allowed to stay in Thailand until March 2021. This is an 'Extension of Stay', I believe, not the period of visa.

 

I've heard that your exit date is tied to work permit. But Immigration gave the March 2021 stamp, knowing that the work permit expires in December.

 

Is my friend going to have to fly out in December? Are there any other extension possibilities available? Or will they be fine to stay until March, but unable to switch or change visas in the period between work permit expiry and visa extension end date?

Edited by mankindmatt5
Title
Link to post
Share on other sites

An extension based on work is no longer tied to the work permit, but it is tied to his employment. When the work ends, so does his extension. So he will have to fly out or find an alternative reason for staying in Thailand when his work ends in December.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When your friend's work is over, he/she'll have to leave, the Immigration will want a letter stating when the last day was.

 

Then they might issue a one week extension of stay/visa for 1900 baht. 

 

   Such a situation can easily get someone an overstay. Always check with your local Immigration and make sure that the last day wasn't a few weeks ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mankindmatt5 said:

've heard that your exit date is tied to work permit. But Immigration gave the March 2021 stamp, knowing that the work permit expires in December.

 

Interesting. In 25 yrs. here, I've never heard of this. Why did Immigration give him an extension that runs beyond the expiry date of the Work Permit ? Or, maybe he is working on a Marriage extension ?  If that is the case, he can remain in Thailand on that basis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, allane said:

Interesting. In 25 yrs. here, I've never heard of this. Why did Immigration give him an extension that runs beyond the expiry date of the Work Permit ?

Only a valid work permit is needed on the day person applies for the extension of stay based upon working for company. It does not state it must be valid for a year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

When your friend's work is over, he/she'll have to leave, the Immigration will want a letter stating when the last day was.

 

Then they might issue a one week extension of stay/visa for 1900 baht. 

 

   Such a situation can easily get someone an overstay. Always check with your local Immigration and make sure that the last day wasn't a few weeks ago. 

Do you know this from experience?

 

I left a job just after starting and kept the almost 1 year visa and had no problems with the visa. Only problem I had was when I got a new WP, had to go to the Din Daeng police station and pay 1500 baht fine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mankindmatt5 said:

Is my friend going to have to fly out in December? Are there any other extension possibilities available? Or will they be fine to stay until March, but unable to switch or change visas in the period between work permit expiry and visa extension end date?

The only person who can cancel a visa extension is an Immigration Officer. 

You will not be charged as overstay if anyone checks your passport. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know this from experience?

 

I left a job just after starting and kept the almost 1 year visa and had no problems with the visa. Only problem I had was when I got a new WP, had to go to the Din Daeng police station and pay 1500 baht fine.  

That's interesting.

 

So you quit the initial job that sponsored your Non Imm B. Then left, got a new job and were able to get a new WP, while still technically on the extension from the original job?

 

When that visa ran out, did you leave and come back, or extend again with the second company?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The only person who can cancel a visa extension is an Immigration Officer. 

You will not be charged as overstay if anyone checks your passport. 

In theory then, if the person got mixed up in something with the police or immigration, they would be found out as an overstayer.

 

However, if everything is quiet and normal, when they fly out in March or around then, no trouble should occur at the airport?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mankindmatt5 said:

That's interesting.

 

So you quit the initial job that sponsored your Non Imm B. Then left, got a new job and were able to get a new WP, while still technically on the extension from the original job?

 

When that visa ran out, did you leave and come back, or extend again with the second company?

No, I stopped working for a while. 

 

When that visa finished, I got a new visa without leaving the country, using an agent.  Like I said, I then got a new WP but had to pay a 1500 baht fine(because I didn't cancel it).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mankindmatt5 said:

In theory then, if the person got mixed up in something with the police or immigration, they would be found out as an overstayer.

How would immigration or police know that the person has stopped working?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, I stopped working for a while. 

 

When that visa finished, I got a new visa without leaving the country, using an agent.  Like I said, I then got a new WP but had to pay a 1500 baht fine(because I didn't cancel it).

Thanks for the update.

 

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate the name of the agent. DM if possible. I've tried to do an incountry visa changeover myself before and hit a brick wall

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know this from experience?

 

I left a job just after starting and kept the almost 1 year visa and had no problems with the visa. Only problem I had was when I got a new WP, had to go to the Din Daeng police station and pay 1500 baht fine.  

It's stated on form "STM2" which they make you sign when you apply for an extension.

 

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How would immigration or police know that the person has stopped working?

If your employer doesn't tell them, and you just leave the country after a year, they probably never know it (but you were technically on overstay).

If you apply for any other extension at immigration, they might request the termination letter from your employer, and if this is from several months ago you might run into problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...