Renounce Thai Nationality

humdrumdays

Our 16 year old son has Aussie and Thai citizenship. Born in Aus, Thai mother and we all live in Thailand. He would like to renounce his Thai nationality to avoid army draft or "lodor" (army cadet thing). Has anyone any experience/ideas about this? Long term he still wants to live and work in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

No experience, but he would want to think about how he jumps through the Immigration hoops once he is no longer a Thai national.

IMO he should check out buying exemption, I gather it's quite common here for the more well-heeled.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, humdrumdays said:

What options? haven't seen any. not even money offers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Defense_Student Somebody who did this for a certain amount of time (according to Wikipedia 80 hours per year, no idea how many years are required), is afaik exempt from regular military service.

He could sign up for a regular job within the army (army nurse, or whatever), then he doesn't have to do the dumb<deleted>.

I've heard somewhere that while he studies at a university he will also not be conscripted, so going to work abroad for a few years after finishing university, and coming back to Thailand once he turns 30 might be another option.

He could volunteer to join, then it's just 6 months, compared to 2 years if he loses the lottery. Of course these are wasted 6 months, but better than wasting Thai citizenship if wanting to live in Thailand.

There are probably more options, this is just what i learned randomly while being in Thailand, let him Google for options in Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, being 4 years out from the draft, rest easy. I'd suggest he goes to live in Australia until he's 30 or the obligation no longer applies due to a change of law. Or he can buy his way out for a few tens of thousands of Baht, or follow any of the other methods suggested. It's nothing much to worry about, especially not now.

I avoided a draft in one of my nationalities (actually, the only one which still has an obligation) by living abroad. 

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Defense_Student Somebody who did this for a certain amount of time (according to Wikipedia 80 hours per year, no idea how many years are required), is afaik exempt from regular military service.

He could sign up for a regular job within the army (army nurse, or whatever), then he doesn't have to do the dumb<deleted>.

That is correct, you have to ask the school if they have this program, as not all schools have it

• Thanks 1