Insurance

Latest news item says all visitors to Thailand will need insurance cover, can someone confirm then if you are currently on a non o 12 mth retirement extension and returning to Thailand when able, will you now need a current insurance cover where as before it wasn’t a requirement 

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Currently all visitors to Thailand need insurance. Nobody knows if they will ever scrap this, or it will stay even after Covid (if we should ever get rid of Covid)

Ok thanks,where online in Thailand can you get a US $100,000 Covid cover insurance policy with a so called approved insurance company or a link to get a quote Cheers

So, according to this hypothesis, those persons who are on extensions and are, by age or financial circumstances etc, unable to obtain insurance are now trapped in Thailand until the is no more covid 19. Anywhere. If one leaves, one can't get back!

That doesn't, personally bother me too much, I'm not planning on going anywhere, but what a situation to be in. I wonder what this will mean for those who use non imm O multi entries at Savannakhet and HCMC.

37 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

Ok thanks,where online in Thailand can you get a US $100,000 Covid cover insurance policy with a so called approved insurance company or a link to get a quote Cheers

Sorry if I hijack this thread, but a couple of suggestions of insurance companies, who do i.e. ONLY/separate Covid insurancies would be great

glegolo

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That doesn't, personally bother me too much, I'm not planning on going anywhere, but what a situation to be in. I wonder what this will mean for those who use non imm O multi entries at Savannakhet and HCMC.

Very simple solution. They last entered on a non o. They can now apply for 12 month extension based on marriage. Yes it requires 400k in a bank for 2 months. Hardly Mt Everest.

They are one group that has option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Worth exploring whether annual travel insurance will suffice, usually has £10-20m cover incl Covid medical. travelsupermarket.com or any of those comparison sites. One example £65 for annual cover, only 60 days continuous but usually that is hidden in the small print. Or alternatively buy travel insurance for a longer period, 9 months circ £600.

The Thai insurance offered must be the worst insurance in the world

Edited by scubascuba3

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very simple solution. They last entered on a non o. They can now apply for 12 month extension based on marriage. Yes it requires 400k in a bank for 2 months. Hardly Mt Everest.

They are one group that has option.

Yes I know. I've been doing it for the last 6 years!

What I'm referring to are those of us already on extensions who wish to leave temporarily on a re-entry stamp. Are they gong to have to obtain an insurance policy to re-enter? I certainly hope not!

Insurance is only reuired on the retirement extension of a Non-Imm-O-A Permission of Stay, this was imposed from Oct 2019. A person entering Thailand during these Covid times will require a certificate of entry and retirement extensions (re-entry permits) do not currently qualify. Insurance is required currently.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Insurance is only reuired on the retirement extension of a Non-Imm-O-A Permission of Stay, this was imposed from Oct 2019. A person entering Thailand during these Covid times will require a certificate of entry and retirement extensions (re-entry permits) do not currently qualify. Insurance is required currently.

Great THIS was the exctly the answer I was looking for. Thank you so much. My friend he is having extension of stay based on retirement, with re entry permit in order/place and he was so unsure if they demanded from him insurance, so great he do NOT need any insurance....

Glegolo

• Confused 3

58 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Great THIS was the exctly the answer I was looking for. Thank you so much. My friend he is having extension of stay based on retirement, with re entry permit in order/place and he was so unsure if they demanded from him insurance, so great he do NOT need any insurance....

The $100,000 insurance would be required for him to enter the country with a certificate of entry but he does not qualify to apply.

See: http://thaiembassy.se/wp-content/uploads/brief-instructions-for-foreiners-who-want-to-go-to-thailand-1.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

Non o retirement, there is no channel at the moment to enter Thailand for that visa.

He would need an insurance cover of 100000 usd covid insurance if he was allowed back atm.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Non o retirement, there is no channel at the moment to enter Thailand for that visa.

He would need an insurance cover of 100000 usd covid insurance if he was allowed back atm.

So it is up to the "stamp" in the passport.. He is actually married to a thailady and I haven´t seen anywhere that people married to a  thailady ALSO need to hve an extension of stay based on MARRIAGE....  Are you sure the stamp matters.......?????

glegolo

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

So it is up to the "stamp" in the passport.. He is actually married to a thailady and I haven´t seen anywhere that people married to a  thailady ALSO need to hve an extension of stay based on MARRIAGE....  Are you sure the stamp matters.......?????

Some embassies and official consulates require that the visa or extension of stay is for marriage while others will accept any type of non immigrant visa or extension of stay to apply for the certificate of entry.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

If you were able to come back in the near future, you can get an insurance from back home. But it has to cover covid-19 treatment 100% and be valid the period you're staying in Thailand. Don't confuse this insurance with the mandatory health insurance for people on O-A Visas/extensions. Totally different requirements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

Unless I am mistaken, in your post  to which I commented, you stated he was on retirement visa?

If he is married he could try to get a coe via the embassy, but he will need to go through the process, embassy, flight, asq etc.... and he will need 100000 usd insurance cover for covid.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So, according to this hypothesis, those persons who are on extensions and are, by age or financial circumstances etc, unable to obtain insurance are now trapped in Thailand until the is no more covid 19. Anywhere. If one leaves, one can't get back!

The USD100,000 insurance covering  covid-19 treatment is not the same as the mandatory health insurance for people on O-A Visas/extensions. Not same requirements. It's more of a full cover travel insurance. But, as you said, border hoppers will have a problem if the need for an insurance will still exist when they open up the borders. They might need a 90 days insurance for every border run. 

For many, that is likely true.  When the TB 400K cover requirement was initiated for those with NonOA visas (and extensions), many folks over 65 (and especially over 70) indicated that was going to be a hardship, given the premium costs.  Some said they could make it, but just barely.  If they now need to return to their home country for any reason, premiums for the USD 100K cover now required will likely be too much for them to handle and they won't be able to return to Thailand.

• Like 2

Not trapped, they could leave if they want.

But for certain categories of people allowed to apply for entry, they will need a covid insurance if they wish to return in the current system.

Most on visas and extensions of stay are only but temporary residents whilst in the country, that is the nature and reality.

12 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Not trapped, they could leave if they want.

But for certain categories of people allowed to apply for entry, they will need a covid insurance if they wish to return in the current system.

Most on visas and extensions of stay are only but temporary residents whilst in the country, that is the nature and reality.

I was using the word 'trapped' euphemistically. I was rather thinking of someone, such as myself, married and settled here, for whom a compelling reason arose that he might have to leave temporarily. A death in the family for instance.

This insurance business could create quite a dilemma.

16 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

But unless you are married to a Thai, or able to get a Special Tourist Visa (limited number of countries) you still can't enter

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

For many retirees this is true even if able to get insurance or already insured.

Pretty much anyone can get the COVID insurance, issued up to age 99.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

But unless you are married to a Thai, or able to get a Special Tourist Visa (limited number of countries) you still can't enter

Yes, but it's good to look into it now, because once others are allowed to enter, they will no doubt need the insurance.  I checked that site and for a 1-year policy (3.2 million baht cover), the cost quoted was around 43,000 baht.  Interestingly, they asked for country of origin, type of visa/situation and policy length, but they did not ask age.

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The USD100,000 insurance covering  covid-19 treatment is not the same as the mandatory health insurance for people on O-A Visas/extensions. Not same requirements. It's more of a full cover travel insurance. But, as you said, border hoppers will have a problem if the need for an insurance will still exist when they open up the borders. They might need a 90 days insurance for every border run. 

and dont get caught out with thinking 90 days insurance will do . as you have to return after the 90 days to your home country and not just out of thailand ,on a border run , 

20 hours ago, JTXR said:

Yes, but it's good to look into it now, because once others are allowed to enter, they will no doubt need the insurance.  I checked that site and for a 1-year policy (3.2 million baht cover), the cost quoted was around 43,000 baht.  Interestingly, they asked for country of origin, type of visa/situation and policy length, but they did not ask age.

just checked that site for 81yo friend retirement visa holder stranded in australia - did not ask age and quoted 14,400 baht for 1 year covid 3.2 mil baht - a thai insurance agent assisting "falangs stranded in australia" forum informed me that she couldn't find any policies for 80+ yo. however did find for 76 - 80 yo @11,000 baht per month - big difference!   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

just checked that site for 81yo friend retirement visa holder stranded in australia - did not ask age and quoted 14,400 baht for 1 year covid 3.2 mil baht - a thai insurance agent assisting "falangs stranded in australia" forum informed me that she couldn't find any policies for 80+ yo. however did find for 76 - 80 yo @11,000 baht per month - big difference!   

The local policies designed to meet the COVID insurance requirement are issued up to age 99

No need for an insurance agent. Just go to the website.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:47 PM, Sheryl said:

I would be interested to hear if anyone has used this company to successfully get a CoE. I would ate to get thee insurance only to be told that this policy does not qualify for some reason.

I am in Thailand on retirement so it is not urgent, but as soon as I can get back in I would like to take a couple of trips.

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The local policies designed to meet the COVID insurance requirement are issued up to age 99

No need for an insurance agent. Just go to the website.

yeah looks like its for covid 19 cover only which should be ok for my 81 yo friend.

now all he needs is to be included as eligible for a COE (being a retirement visa holder without thai family).

with a bit of luck 14 days ASQ will be reduced to 7 days or maybe even self quarantine in his own condo.

STV conditions are far too oppressive for him

thx for the insurance tip (pun intended)

16 minutes ago, Bvor said:

yeah looks like its for covid 19 cover only which should be ok for my 81 yo friend.

now all he needs is to be included as eligible for a COE (being a retirement visa holder without thai family).

with a bit of luck 14 days ASQ will be reduced to 7 days or maybe even self quarantine in his own condo.

STV conditions are far too oppressive for him

thx for the insurance tip (pun intended)

No indication at thsi time of retirees without family being eligible for COEs

And definitely no discussion of home quarantine and I doubt there will be as initial try at that ended badly in Thailand and it has also not gone well in other countries.

reduction from 14 to 10 days is under consideration. I doubt 7.

I think we may start to see better ASQ arrangements though, such as ones where instead of being confined to a room, people with initial negative test result will be confined to grounds of a resort. (Will likely cost more though...)

20 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

I would be interested to hear if anyone has used this company to successfully get a CoE. I would ate to get thee insurance only to be told that this policy does not qualify for some reason.

I am in Thailand on retirement so it is not urgent, but as soon as I can get back in I would like to take a couple of trips.

The company helps get visas at an inflated price. I doubt they can do anything re COE,

• Thanks 1