Thailand Voted A Favourite Chinese Tourist Destination

george

Thailand voted a favourite Chinese tourist destination

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been voted as one of the top three favourite destinations for Chinese tourists, according to a poll conducted recently by the National Geographic magazine's Chinese language version, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Trend Traveller tourism magazine conducted the survey through its website during January and February this year--with more than 10,000 people voting that they were most impressed with Thailand, France and the Netherlands -- all of which many of them had visited in the past, TAT said.

The survey was the second consecutive polling of favoured destinations by Trend Traveller, which is popular among Chinese tourists.

A total of 57 countries were presented for them to rank, it said. Rome, Vienna and Tokyo were chosen as the favorite city destinations worldwide, TAT said.

--TNA 2007-04-29

Thailand and France I can imagine, sure!

But the Netherlands? Why do Chinese people like The Netherlands?

If you've been there, you'll know. :o

The Netherlands have quite a substantial number of Chinese*, some 100.000, and Holland is also a hub for the rest of mainland Europe tourist-destinations.

The Chinese are a different kind of tourist than most Westerners and are not of the typical kind who visit bars, beaches etc. but are mainly cultural visitors.

Also, they never travel for longer periods but -mostly- a maximum of 10-14 days and 90% travel in groups due to the problems of getting EU visa.

China has special selected travel agents who are held reponsible for their tourists (and their return...). Therefore their travel-schedule is pre-set and filled with visits to cultural attractions, rather than beaches etc.

Holland is quite famous in China due to their famous painters (like Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Mondrian etc.), flowers, canals, Amsterdam, impressive waterworks and much more...

* this week an enormous new (15.000 M2...indoor!) Chinatown (also with Thai-, Vietnamese- and Indonesian- shops/rest.) opened its doors in Holland; the largest in Europe...with hundreds of shops, restaurants, theatre etc.

LaoPo

The Netherlands have quite a substantial number of Chinese*, some 100.000, and Holland is also a hub for the rest of mainland Europe tourist-destinations.

The Chinese are a different kind of tourist than most Westerners and are not of the typical kind who visit bars, beaches etc. but are mainly cultural visitors.

Also, they never travel for longer periods but -mostly- a maximum of 10-14 days and 90% travel in groups due to the problems of getting EU visa.

China has special selected travel agents who are held reponsible for their tourists (and their return...). Therefore their travel-schedule is pre-set and filled with visits to cultural attractions, rather than beaches etc.

Holland is quite famous in China due to their famous painters (like Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Mondrian etc.), flowers, canals, Amsterdam, impressive waterworks and much more...

* this week an enormous new (15.000 M2...indoor!) Chinatown (also with Thai-, Vietnamese- and Indonesian- shops/rest.) opened its doors in Holland; the largest in Europe...with hundreds of shops, restaurants, theatre etc.

LaoPo

I've been there, believe me!

I liked it a lot, but can't imagine why the Chines prefer Holland above let's say Spain or Italy.

I suspect that due to the nearly wholesale eradication of culture in the PRC, they would be starved for some of those old time cultural artifacts elsewhere.

But due to the tightly controlled nature of Chinese group tourism, they get a pass on "high quality" tourism as high quality also relates to tourists in Thailand who spend little money outside the bubble of resorts, hotels, and pre-selected shops. Although they do not individually spend as much as weathier western tourists, all of the money they do spend is well accounted for with scarcely a sataang escaping the tour operators or falling into the hands of an ethnic Thai.

LaoPo

I've been there, believe me!

I liked it a lot, but can't imagine why the Chines prefer Holland above let's say Spain or Italy.

Holland is probably the first stop; most Chinese will not stay in just 1 EU country but 'do' 6 or 7 countries in just a short period. Most visited cities are like Munchen, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Roma, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and such.

LaoPo

The Chinese tourists are OK but...........

1........why can't they walk a bit faster and...............

2......why do they hog all of the footpath in large groups?????????????????

It's a slow moving brick wall wherever they go. :D

:bah:

1. why should they walk faster..., on holiday, looking at all the girlies and crazy farang? since they've NEVER seen anything like it before :D and THAT is a tourist attraction in itself....(for them)

2. because they have to stick together (with a guide) otherwise they're lost (no speaky englis..) :D:o

LaoPo :D

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been voted as one of the top three favourite destinations for Chinese tourists, according to a poll conducted recently by the National Geographic magazine's Chinese language version, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Trend Traveller tourism magazine conducted the survey through its website during January and February this year--with more than 10,000 people voting that they were most impressed with Thailand, France and the Netherlands -- all of which many of them had visited in the past, TAT said.

The survey was the second consecutive polling of favoured destinations by Trend Traveller, which is popular among Chinese tourists.

A total of 57 countries were presented for them to rank, it said. Rome, Vienna and Tokyo were chosen as the favorite city destinations worldwide, TAT said.

--TNA 2007-04-29

I have found them to be polite, inoffensive people as individuals but as a collective they can be loud, rude and incredible ill mannered.

The Chinese government is at the moment have a huge PR campaign in China to try and eradicate some of their more offensive habits in the build up for hosting the olympics, it is a long hard slog.

On my last exit from Thailand I was surprised at the large amount of Chinese Tourists at the airport.

Khun Andy

--TNA 2007-04-29

I have found them to be polite, inoffensive people as individuals but as a collective they can be loud, rude and incredible ill mannered.

The Chinese government is at the moment have a huge PR campaign in China to try and eradicate some of their more offensive habits in the build up for hosting the olympics, it is a long hard slog.

On my last exit from Thailand I was surprised at the large amount of Chinese Tourists at the airport.

Khun Andy

Currently, they are passing out personal hygiene bags in Shanghai and Beijing, in attempt to curb the public spitting :D However, I can't see the Chinese government getting a handle on the flying spits and snots situation anytime soon, unless they impose strict fines like Hong Kong or Singapore had done.

Yeah, expect to see massive influx of Chinese tourists in LoS in the coming years. As the Chinese economy continues to boom, and personal disposable income continues to rise, hundreds and thousands (aww, or millions) whom have never had the luxury (by law & $) to travel outside of the country may be changing the tourism landscape in Thailand :o

Thailand is one of top three countries the Chinese dream of visiting

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says Thailand is one of the three countries that the Chinese people dream of visiting, according to the National Geographic magazine’s Gold List award.

Mr. Surapol Surapol Sawetseranee, the TAT Deputy Governor, says the Chinese edition of the National Geographic magazine, known as Trend Traveller) reveals that a survey was conducted on more than 10,000 people from China, asking for them to reveal their dream destinations. The survey discloses that Thailand is one of the three countries that the Chinese people would like to visit or revisit again. The other two countries are France and the Netherlands. Meanwhile, the three most popular cities are Rome, Vienna, and Tokyo.

The Gold List award conducted the survey from January to February 2007, and awards were already presented on April 18th. The Director of TAT Office in Beijing, Mr. Amnuay Tiemkul, was the TAT’s representative who received the award.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 April 2007

Thailand is one of top three countries the Chinese dream of visiting

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says Thailand is one of the three countries that the Chinese people dream of visiting, according to the National Geographic magazine’s Gold List award.

Mr. Surapol Surapol Sawetseranee, the TAT Deputy Governor, says the Chinese edition of the National Geographic magazine, known as Trend Traveller) reveals that a survey was conducted on more than 10,000 people from China, asking for them to reveal their dream destinations. The survey discloses that Thailand is one of the three countries that the Chinese people would like to visit or revisit again. The other two countries are France and the Netherlands. Meanwhile, the three most popular cities are Rome, Vienna, and Tokyo.

The Gold List award conducted the survey from January to February 2007, and awards were already presented on April 18th. The Director of TAT Office in Beijing, Mr. Amnuay Tiemkul, was the TAT’s representative who received the award.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 April 2007

I'm sure it would be just as easy to find 10,000 Chinese who's dream destination would be the USA as well. Nothing special about this poll.

When you consider that China has more than 2 billion people, it's not a very impressive poll. It's only 0.0005 % of the entire Chinese population. Hardly anything to get excited about.

That's incorrect. China has about 1.3 billion people.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

When you consider that China has more than 2 billion people, it's not a very impressive poll. It's only 0.0005 % of the entire Chinese population. Hardly anything to get excited about.

That's incorrect. China has about 1.3 billion people.

LaoPo

I stand corrected. 1,317,760,087

10,000 is still a small number.

Just because it is a favourite place does not always mean good numbers. Weren't there stats posted here in the last few days showing that Chinese tourist numbers were dropping?

Correct. Asian tourism (not just China but also mainly Japanese/Korean) dropped 7.3% in the (I believe) first 2 months of 2007.

BTW, the # of 10.000 is misread. That number was interviewed in China. Not the total Chinese visitors.

January>>November 2006 Thailand received some 954.000 tourists from China. (TAT statistics) up 40% from 2005. Jan>>Nov. = 681.000

(Jan>>Dec. statistics not available.)

LaoPo

Just because it is a favourite place does not always mean good numbers. Weren't there stats posted here in the last few days showing that Chinese tourist numbers were dropping?

Correct. Asian tourism (not just China but also mainly Japanese/Korean) dropped 7.3% in the (I believe) first 2 months of 2007.

BTW, the # of 10.000 is misread. That number was interviewed in China. Not the total Chinese visitors.

January>>November 2006 Thailand received some 954.000 tourists from China. (TAT statistics) up 40% from 2005. Jan>>Nov. = 681.000

(Jan>>Dec. statistics not available.)

LaoPo

Exactly my point. 10,000 people interviewed in China is hardly worth jumping up and down for. Thats like saying 1000 Thai's in Thailand think the present government is doing a great job therefore all of Thailand feels the same way.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese book their holidays through local companies who ferry them around from shop to shop collecting commissions along the way, and who put them up in cheap nasty accommodation to enhance their profits. So they end up with a negative view of the country they visited.

Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese book their holidays through local companies who ferry them around from shop to shop collecting commissions along the way, and who put them up in cheap nasty accommodation to enhance their profits. So they end up with a negative view of the country they visited.

these polls are ok but how many actually come,check the airlines flying them in ,are there numbers up on last year?doubt it..........

Chinese will change Touristic Statistics everywhere, because of their size (population).

TAT play an important role, thinking about Tourism strategies.

They promoted Phuket and Pattaya last months and for that reason, my friend "lazeeboy" didn't see a lot of tourists (especially Chinese that used to travel in mass) at SAmui.

Don't forget that most of Chinese are not freedom to visit or doing what they really want...during their Holiday

(I suggest to read the following message of "TW25RW" :

"Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese book their holidays through local companies who ferry them around from shop to shop collecting commissions along the way, and who put them up in cheap nasty accommodation to enhance their profits. So they end up with a negative view of the country they visited")

cheers Manu

Don't forget that most of Chinese are not freedom to visit or doing what they really want...during their Holiday

I wonder how can you conclude it?

All Chinese are freedom to visit or doing what they really want. for example, I visited Thai withother 6 young guys this yeare and did what we want. we have come to sumei, nanyuan dao and tao dao. next time I will com to north.