Govt expands 'grow-your-own-veg' scheme after demand sprouts up

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The scheme is a collaboration with seed companies Chia Tai and East-West Seed, who will deliver the packets to Bangkok residents, said Agriculture and Cooperatives minister Chalermchai Srion

Should work well on the 20th floor of a condo.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't help but question where they will grow them - in the window box or dig up the concrete tiles

There's plenty of us out here with fair sized gardens in which we grow many Vege's already but we are always up for a few more free seeds, as are many of our Thai Neighbours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

If they gave them some Marj' seeds they could have a Holy smoke as well .. they're probably a bit marrow minded for that though .. 

Perhaps use your vegetable patch? I'm really pleased with my vegetable patch.
I haven't wanted a vegetable for weeks.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I do not think the Thais will like these:-

image.png.956ea87cae226d5856fd67afd59098bb.png

40 some years ago I was helping some villagers and showed them pics of various seeds I could get.  Many wanted brussels sprouts.  I tried to explain that they were not like a papaya tree with masses of big cabbages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, torturedsole said:

My MIL recently reported the sprouting of a new chilli bush in their garden. Probably a discarded seed and now growing well.

I remember the last chilli bush in their garden about ten years ago. Very small chillies in red and green, but very potent.

Even a chilli bush saves a small amount of cash.  

Years back in the US, we grew a small Thai chili bush.  We overwintered it inside and replanted next season in a garden with fairly good soil.  We added large amounts of composted leaves and horse manure.

That thing grew like crazy.  The peppers were so hot that even my Isaan wife didn't want them. So we gave them to a Laotian refugee family.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:12 AM, hotchilli said:

I tried that myself. Got a few pots of tomatoes started before the juristic person came down on me. All balconies must look the same. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, bluesofa said:

If you are successful growing real veggies such as tomatoes, summer squash, sweet peppers, green beans, I'd sure like to talk to you. I mean real tomatoes, not the cardboard Thai variants. 

I've tried multiple times over the years with scant success. Of course I live along the coast, not inland mountains. 

Cukes and greens do OK here but not much else. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:12 AM, hotchilli said:

I tried that myself. Got a few pots of tomatoes started before the juristic person came down on me. All balconies must look the same. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, bluesofa said:

If you are successful growing real veggies such as tomatoes, summer squash, sweet peppers, green beans, I'd sure like to talk to you. I mean real tomatoes, not the cardboard Thai variants. 

I've tried multiple times over the years with scant success. Of course I live along the coast, not inland mountains. 

Cukes and greens do OK here but not much else. 

I see that there will be a glut of morning glory, collard, choy sum, cucumber and chilli on the market this year.  1 kilo of each - 10 THB.  May be better to buy you own seed (they're cheap) and grow a different crop.  Then, save enough seed for next year.  :thumbsup:

On 9/25/2020 at 4:04 AM, Justgrazing said:

If they gave them some Marj' seeds they could have a Holy smoke as well .. they're probably a bit marrow minded for that though .. 

Already happened, Thai lady signed up for some cannabis grow at home scheme last year (Chiang Mai), received 5 seeds, hasn't bothered to plant them. Have no idea what the scheme was, she just mentioned it in passing.

• Like 1

Just now, connda said:

I see that there will be a glut of morning glory, collard, choy sum, cucumber and chilli on the market this year.  1 kilo of each - 10 THB.  May be better to buy you own seed (they're cheap) and grow a different crop.  Then, save enough seed for next year.  :thumbsup:

No need to buy seed, just pick them out of whatever you're eating.

I did tomatoes and chilli, they all grew ......... insects ate the lot ...... growing outside here needs significant pesticides.

Aphids, Leaf miners, White-fly ..... and plenty of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

'I see that there will be a glut of morning glory,'  Sounds more like a euphemism.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Years back in the US, we grew a small Thai chili bush.  We overwintered it inside and replanted next season in a garden with fairly good soil.  We added large amounts of composted leaves and horse manure.

That thing grew like crazy.  The peppers were so hot that even my Isaan wife didn't want them. So we gave them to a Laotian refugee family.

my family in Ireland have a yearly competition to see who grows the hotest. If the fx rate for the Euro vv the Thai baht continues to decline, maybe it's time to move back?

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Already happened, Thai lady signed up for some cannabis grow at home scheme last year (Chiang Mai), received 5 seeds, hasn't bothered to plant them. Have no idea what the scheme was, she just mentioned it in passing.

send my wife her phone number 555