Pattaya: Foreign investors show interest in 26.9 billion baht Green Line Tramway

webfact

Pattaya: Foreign investors show interest in 26.9 billion baht Green Line Tramway

1pm2.jpg

Picture: We Love Pattaya

A fact finding seminar was held at the Pullman Pattaya Hotel to discuss transport infrastructure improvements for the resort over the following 16 years.

Among the 120 participants there were investors from China, Korea and Thailand as well as a team from the British Embassy, said Green Line project manager Pongtawee Lertpanyawit. 

The Green Line Tramway will connect the high speed train station in Pattaya with Bali Hai and include 13 stations about 650-700 meters apart. 

1pm4.jpg

Picture: We Love Pattaya

It will be elevated at a height of 18 meters mostly utilizing the center of existing roads, said local official Pramote Thapthim who chaired the meeting. 

Investment is being sought for building in the sum of 16.4 billion baht and operating costs of 10.4 billion.

Pramote said that Pattaya has exploded in size due to a great influx of people and tourists in recent years and improvements in transport were needed. 

A three phase plan has been initiated to run from now until 2036 to address this issue as part of the government's Eastern Economic Corridor initiative.

There are four main components of this and 15 lesser components.

The meeting heard principally about the Green Line plans regarding its design and environmental impact. 

Pongtawee said interest from the private sector in investment, both Thai and foreign, had been good.

Source: We Love Pattaya

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-25

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

To transport who exactly, pray tell me?  ????

People from Bangkok...they can shop at one of many malls  there and then walk onto the elevated train whisking them to  more shopping mall heaven  with a sea view.

I notice  one of the stops is called "Passport Office"

maybe finally will bring customers to the flailing "Avenue" Mall  assuming the passport office stays there.

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Owned by the Chinese for the Chinese!

Yes, and all that will be left to do is buy up all the cheap properties around the stations, then have the authorities make baht buses illegal.  Chinese Business Style 101.   

More "Zero Baht" tourism for Thailand. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

A link to an incident in Germany in 2011 involving a private 737 has been removed. In these days of heightened LM laws we need to be very careful.

EDIT and a post "not questioning moderation" has also been removed. Common international knowledge, agreed, but we must operate in Thailand.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

wasn't there a german company once, that was building something, but never got paid and sued but never got damages ?

The German company ended up getting paid, in quite unusual circumstances, which you will be able to find by doing a quick Google search.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A link to an incident in Germany in 2011 involving a private 737 has been removed. In these days of heightened LM laws we need to be very careful.

EDIT and a post "not questioning moderation" has also been removed. Common international knowledge, agreed, but we must operate in Thailand.

Duly noted.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure this has been questioned before: If it's 18 metres above the ground how can it be a tramway. Isn't the word monorail?

Unless of course City hall think they're above all that.

"A tram is a rail vehicle that runs on tramway tracks along public urban streets"

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram

Pedant ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, champers said:

Interesting to see the British embassy were in attendance. A number of tram systems built in the UK in the last 30 years.

Unlikely that any Embassy staff have ever dirtied their hands on tram systems.  More likely, having scrapped the only worthwhile thing they did (Embassy letters), they were bored out of their skull and saw a free lunch opportunity

On 9/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, webfact said:

Among the 120 participants there were investors from China, Korea and Thailand as well as a team from the British Embassy

Finally, a consortium of Chinese and Thai companies is set to win. The Koreans and the other participants will have no chance.

The British Embassy took part for reasons of intelligence only. Of, course, all Western nations have their intelligence active also to get information on Thailand and its political activities, but as common, they do not talk about anything of this in public.

For the project, it also doesn't matter if tourism ever will recover. The project will be financed by Chinese loans, as usual, to cement Thailands dependance on China later. This is for what the decision makers in Thailand will be paid.  

Regarding my first comment above: Last year I got an invitation to the residence of a charge d'affaires of another Western country in Manila. There we had a short discussion about Thai-Chinese and Chinese activities in Thailand. Another guest did some BS remarks, and I stepped in to explain him the real situation. The charge d'affaire immediately stopped our discussion at this point, but came to me later to say sorry for his intervention, agreeing to all my points, and that at the embassy they of course know all these Chinese activities involving bribing, buying corrupt politicians in other countries et cetera, related to the so called "Road and Belt"-initiative of China.

This tram project in Pattaya is just another example of this, as the high speed trains and the subs are as well.

Edited by Flying Saucage

Foreign investors show interest in 26.9 billion baht Green Line Tramway....

Correct me if I am wrong a INVESTMENT should pay back the investor plus a profit...

This INVESTMENT will never pay pack the investor even after 5 lifetimes.......There just are not enough people in Pattaya who will ride this to ever pay back the investor..

So why are they eager to invest?

The city will have to pay back the investor.....There is no other way.....