Special Tourist Visa: October 1st rollout "hard" but ASAP next month, says TAT chief

webfact

Special Tourist Visa: October 1st rollout "hard" but ASAP next month, says TAT chief

Yuthasak Supasorn.jpg

The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn told a meeting in Bangkok that discussions were still taking place regarding the much hyped STV or special tourist visa that will see foreign tourists return to Thailand.

Yutthasak said that meeting the original October 1st deadline will be hard but he expected the STV to be available as soon as possible next month. 

Discussions are taking place with airlines and the 29 TAT offices worldwide are engaging in marketing strategies to inform potential tourists about arrangements, particularly the 14 day state quarantine they will have to undergo.

He told the meeting at the Waldorf Astoria this could be happening in Phuket or in other tourist areas, it would depend on the readiness of each area to join the plan.

In the meantime he said that the domestic tourism stimulus scheme known as "Rao Thiaw Duay Gan" (let's go on a trip together) is likely to be extended to the end of the year after discussions with the treasury and economic affairs groups have concluded. 

Under the scheme domestic tourists can get deals at hotels.

He said that market forces dictated what prices are advertised by hotels and it was entirely usual that should a place prove popular the price would go up.

He advised people to shop around and travel to less visited places to get value for money. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-25

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

Two weeks prison at ripoff prices on arrival.  Cannot TAT see how stupid they are?  Or maybe they think the rest of the world is stupid.

From what I've seen there are thousands of desperate tourists wanting to come here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Wanting until they show who is eligible and then the prices

It’s more than likely that a lot of the interest STV has generated so far is from people wanting to know the actual requirements and costs associated with the visa process. Instead of just the theories and rumours that are all over places like this. 

• Like 1

its hard to know what is happening,there is a demand,i dont think its really tourists its people with businesses here,kids families wives and girlfriends etc.people with condos,all these groups have basically been deprived of the right to return.these people will want to come back for obvious reasons.tourists ...very few.we all need to know the real costs involved,ie visa flight[it should be a 1 way so cheaper]processing fee and the rip off hotel costs for quarantine.hotels are empty.50 us a day is more than enough if you wish to bring tourists back,look at the prices s korea japan charge and these are developed countries.im in this category my fiance is in the philipinnes i cant enter or id a left by now.she can come here  but when how much and can she?all of europe,the americas and middle east have higher nos than the PI but theres an inherrent bigotry in thailand over many issues.why cant they give or receive info here in a logical  and consistent manner its very strange the way they function on this issue as the most obvious thing is the cost totally.

• Like 1

Almost spat my coffee out when someone mentioned millions waiting to be allowed into Thailand... Utter rubbish because that boat has sailed. The only people interested in Thailand are people with connections to Thailand. A friend who has connections will not go back and it's not so much the financial cost it's the ever changing rules and the fact if he has to leave thailand immediately then he could may find big problems getting out again. For me I have a house and family in Thailand and I will not go back and quite possibly never go back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And likewise, if no guests, the price will go up. 

He advised people to shop around and travel to less visited places to get value for money. 

He must be talking about Thai tourists here.  I don't think it's possible for farang to gravel around freely

7 hours ago, lujanit said:

Two weeks prison at ripoff prices on arrival.  Cannot TAT see how stupid they are?  Or maybe they think the rest of the world is stupid.

yep, I just don't get it.  You jump through many hoops to get a tourist visa to come on holiday to Thailand, but then you have to spend the first 14 days in quarantine. Who's going to do that, surely nobody? Weird or what. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

They should let tourists stay in origin country if the test is positive. The problem is that they prioritize tourists to stay in expensive stars hotel.

Let tourist make test 14 days and 72 hours before flight. Is that still not good enough ??  They can start it now !

Prohibited passanger to boarding if one of the test's result is positive.

Why do they make so much change like a ping pong with visa rule, hotel list, agency. Bla bla bla. It takes so much time.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Yutthasak said that meeting the original October 1st deadline will be hard but he expected the STV to be available as soon as possible next month. 

Discussions are taking place with airlines and the 29 TAT offices worldwide are engaging in marketing strategies to inform potential tourists about arrangements, particularly the 14 day state quarantine they will have to undergo.

It makes me wonder if the expected response from the targeted "well-heeled, wealthy" tourist section is a bit underwhelming and suddenly they find they have to perhaps walk the timeline back as they wait for some more takers?  Just wondering...

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

There are probably more people trying to escape from prison in Thailand than foreigners willingly applying to go to prison at their own expense in prison. The rules are so complex that you probably require a lawyer to advise you what they actually involve. 

Typical Thailand under the soldiers "government", pay for lawyers because of the complex rules, pay for the coved $100.000 insurance scam, pay for vastly overpriced ASQ hotels. As I said, typical Thailand ruled by soldiers.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

yep, I just don't get it.  You jump through many hoops to get a tourist visa to come on holiday to Thailand, but then you have to spend the first 14 days in quarantine. Who's going to do that, surely nobody? Weird or what. 

From what I've read almost all spaces for the first few weeks are fully booked. Demand is high.

10 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

From what I've read almost all spaces for the first few weeks are fully booked. Demand is high.

Not surprised if they are only allowing 300 a week, be interesting to know how they are going to get the tourists to Thailand not unless they try to group them by country.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Not surprised if they are only allowing 300 a week, be interesting to know how they are going to get the tourists to Thailand not unless they try to group them by country.

Now you are asking sensible questions...... did you forget it is the Thai Junta you are asking?