How to get around a password on a laptop?

ChipButty

I've got a laptop that was left by a guest ages ago now and I have tried to contact them, no luck

Anyway my question is it's password protected so basically it cannot be used,

Is there anyway around it? do I have to uninstall everything and re format the laptop

I know some of you guys are experts on here maybe there is a simple way,

Have a nice day

CB

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thanks guys, so I download anyone of them programs on to my desktop computer and then transfer to a USB then put the USB in to the laptop then fire away? sorry never had to do this before

Thats basically it, the USB needs to be bookable (also tools available to do this). You may have to play around with F keys while booting (there is often a quick message on screen when you turn on, "press Fxx to change boot device") to tell the comp to boot from the USB and not the normal hardrive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I had same problem some time ago, when all of a sudden, my laptop would not accept the right password.   Took it to my local computer man and he released it, 300 Bhat.  

Sounds about right for me 555

It didn't seem a big job and he wasn't surprised at the problem. Only issue now is that I can't have a password on the laptop, but that doesn't concern me at all. 

It wouldn't bother me I dont use laptops my wife wanted to use it, we have a desktop at home and I have a Samsung tablet

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It wouldn't bother me I dont use laptops my wife wanted to use it, we have a desktop at home and I have a Samsung tablet

Ah  yes, bit off topic, but do you like the Samsung Tablet and what is its series?  Reason I ask is that I need to replace a broken iPad and I am looking at just that make.  4,600 Baht I think I was told?  Is it good? Need it mainly for e mail and Netflix

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Ah  yes, bit off topic, but do you like the Samsung Tablet and what is its series?  Reason I ask is that I need to replace a broken iPad and I am looking at just that make.  4,600 Baht I think I was told?  Is it good? Need it for mainly for e mail and Netflix

I used to have a ipad mini it got to the point where you could not download app's as they were not compatible it was getting old anyway I think I was one of the first people in Thailand to get one mine came from England and they didnt sell the mini here.

Im not an expert but the Samsung is great I would say more flexible I use it for football MUTV, Netflix and emails 

SAMSUNG Galaxy TabA 10.5 32 GB You can put a sim card in to use as a phone  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I used to have a ipad mini it got to the point where you could not download app's as they were not compatible it was getting old anyway I think I was one of the first people in Thailand to get one mine came from England and they didnt sell the mini here.

Im not an expert but the Samsung is great I would say more flexible I use it for football MUTV, Netflix and emails 

SAMSUNG Galaxy TabA 10.5 32 GB You can put a sim card in to use as a phone  

do you mind if I ask the price? 

For fun I would try to access a command prompt and enable the administrator account which is disabled by default on Win7 and Win10. If the owner of the laptop did not set a password for the administrator account you may then be able to log on as administrator. Easy to try.

search:
windows 10 rescue command prompt
enable administrator account from command prompt

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I had same problem some time ago, when all of a sudden, my laptop would not accept the right password.   Took it to my local computer man and he released it, 300 Bhat.  

He released it.

Did you give it to him before? 555

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, potless said:

So what is the use of having a password if it can be circumvented ? 

If you really want to protect your data then you need to use encryption. But this might not be enough to protect your data from the NSA for instance. 

You can encrypt only files or the whole disk. Very helpful if you have to replace a disk that is still under warranty. So you can avoid that others can read confidential data on your disk if you send it back. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Yeah, but it may have private info on it belonging to the owner of the laptop which should stay private.

Could buy a 2.5 inch harddisk for 400 baht, hardly a big expense and the new possessor of the notebook has a complete laptop for his use for free.

Not a bad idea then if the owner ever got back in touch his info is safe on that HD, Is that right

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you really want to protect your data then you need to use encryption. But this might not be enough to protect your data from the NSA for instance. 

You can encrypt only files or the whole disk. Very helpful if you have to replace a disk that is still under warranty. So you can avoid that others can read confidential data on your disk if you send it

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There's always some smart a$$ will find away round it

Thanks for your replies that confirm my view that there is little use for a password although it may prevent ones partner from seeing what "cultural" websites one visits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone know how to unlock an iPad. Tried plugging it in to itunes-nothing happened. Tried website OfficialUnlock who took 21gbp off me and did nothing and do not respond-is a scam. All the youtube tutorials are indeciferable. Tried my nephew who works for Apple who put me onto iforgot.apple.com who had lots of questions about favourite pets etc all of which have been forgotten. Do I have to take it to Tucom or is there a wizard on Darkside Pattaya I can use?