TAT latest: Elite card holders who buy a condo can stay "long term" and get work permit - but there's a catch

webfact

21 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You can buy a condo but are not allowed into the country to use it. Great idea.

Yep, and now I may never see it in 2021 unless I buy another 5 year Elite membership although there is 

no valid medical reason I could not arrive on a Non 0-A, or any other bit of sticker paper.

In May, the richest man in Thailand, Dhanin Chearavanont, urged the Thai government to be bolder and take some risks to resurrect the decimated Thai economy. 

The multi-billionaire warned that it stood to lose trillions of baht a year by its failure to open the country back up to tourism.

However, what the Chairman of the huge CP Group conglomerate had in mind was re-launching Thai tourism as a haven for wealthy people around the world who wish to come and stay in Thailand.

The highly successful businessman urged the government to use the Covid 19 crisis in such a fashion to create an opportunity to upsell Thailand as a tourist destination for the world’s elite who can afford to pay.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/09/25/rejigged-thailand-elite-card-promoting-country-as-an-oasis-for-the-wealthy/

make sense now?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, donnacha said:

There was some discussion of this news when I posted it yesterday in a related thread. I was not able to create a new thread here in the News section, seems to be restricted.

My own take is that this move actually indicates a direction that would be a lot smarter for Thailand than it at first appears.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1184176-tat-turning-to-the-super-wealthy-to-boost-domestic-tourism/?do=findComment&comment=15848334

In short, some bright spark has figured that taxes in most of the world are going to rocket post-Covid and that, along with the swing towards remote working, there will be a big increase in the number of individuals and families attracted by the loophole of Thailand not taxing income generated abroad.

Thailand's tax system is designed to benefit rich Thais but, at this crunch-time for the Thai economy, they can leverage that to attract a significant number of well-heeled expats. Not quite the actual super wealthy who can afford the Bahamas, but a wider target that, in particular, takes in the European middle classes, the same audience that Mohammad Bin Salman is targeting with Neom.

They will just keep referring to the "super wealthy" it order to make it easier for the ultra-nationalists to swallow these concessions.

Income generated abroad is taxable

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Nout said:

Income generated abroad is taxable

I did not want to overcomplicate my comment.

The loophole is that you must keep it abroad for one year, but I am unaware of this ever being checked or, indeed, how they could check it.

The working principle is to welcome any money brought in, and banks just tick the boxes by sometimes asking what the money is from.

• Like 1