'Our first dictatorship is school': Thai kids revolt

webfact

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I remember the phrase "Children should be seen and not heard" decades ago.  

I remember that being quoted many time I think I was at the start of the rebellion having been born in the army where my old man was a RSM where I thought violence was a way of life, as I grew older I started to rebel against the way that other people wanted you to live and it seemed whatever you did was wrong, I think I was one of the first people to bring in changes at senior school where the teachers thought they could beat the <deleted> out of you, School was like a <deleted> boot camp from assembly in the morning when finished march out in single file walk around the corridors in single file on the left and one teacher pulling kids over coz their shoes weren't clean and getting 100 lines.

The list goes on 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"They should revoke all the outdated rules, not just that one," she told Reuters. "Those rules shouldn't exist in the first place. They violate our human rights."

well said, unfortunately wishful thinking, there is a "big" need for a major change in Thailand outdated rules and peoples rights, again, unfortunately, nobody at the government level is willing to start the changes, we, as guests in this country, have no say so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

It takes bravery for school children to show any signs of rebellion in schools. Teachers come from the 18th Century and think that they are God like and can hit students at will. The rebellious students will have their scores in tests marked down and be treated as trouble makers not as heroes. 

Yes, right. Make Thailand just like the western world. After all, the western world is so disciplined and perfect.

I hope Thailand stays as it is - conservative. The western world's progressive policies over the years have torn their societies apart.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Sounds like the old, I got thrashed and abused at my public School by sadists and it never did me any harm ????

I was told by my old man in no uncertain terms that if any teacher hit me we would take them to court and that school uniforms weren't compulsory and that never did me any harm although it was a bit difficult for a some of those teachers to come to terms with but they did come to terms with it.