Expat exodus under way?

a3tsw

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The border bouncers have run out of options. 

what you talking about? they have their "wet dream" now - pay monthly with no need to leave the country. it's a damn site easier than the monthly 9 hour cambodian border runs i had to endure for the first 4 years here ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand takes in from hundreds of billions annually from its expat community. And it reverberates out in countless ways. Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. From both expats and tourists.

This hapless administration needs to develop some courage and initiative. They can't hide from the world forever. Extreme timidity from supposedly tough men is an amusing thing to witness.

I agree with the first paragraph ,  though I don't pretend to know the exact figures.  Tourist hot spots are of course hurt big time.   Other large cities or rural areas not so much,  though they are affected.     A few businesses here in CM  that are not Farang centric did tell me that business is down around 30 % .  So these measures being taken do curtail business,  as one would expect.   And forget about the property market.... sales and rentals big hit !

I just can never get my head around your posts calling the PTB  (powers that be) timid or lacking initiative.   Any time I think about government the only thought that comes into my mind is "self serving blank blank blanks" .     If anyone knows of a country on earth where that is not the case.........   PM me .   haha   no, please don't.    Just post it

• Like 2

Border bouncers are an absolute godsend and have kept thailand arrival numbers high for many years. 

This idea that a border bouncers is bad for Thailand is a myth created by agents.

I enjoyed my every 5 month trips but onto bigger and better and no more trips for me for a good while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Most of those on low resources would be inclined to stay put. Unless you're a boozer, living cheaply is easy in Thailand. Upping sticks to another country and going through all the rigamarole of staying in a hotel while finding a new place to live, all of that is expensive. So, while some of them may HAVE to leave for various other reasons, the cost of living here would not be the reason.

Meanwhile, people with lots of money find it far easier and more fun to make the jump to other countries. I reckon the big spenders will be the ones leaving more than any other group.

Met a couple of Frenchmen a couple of weeks ago who work for a major worldwide (non-French) moving company. They were in a happy mood after work. Business is booming. Outbound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, trucking said:

You are forgetting that a lot of people on Non O multi visa had no money problems at all but used that visa because although based here , they work overseas a lot and fly in and out of the country regularly.

Had they gone onto an extension this would have been inconvenient. Not everyone with a multi Non O is a penniless tefler.. In fact , it is actually cheaper to be on an extension than it is to leave frequently. Hotels, flights and taxis etc are not free.

worked 3 years month in month out in a neighboring country but always obtained a re entry permit for my extension based on marriage to a Thai national - to each their own but I'm happy I did it the way I did...

5 hours ago, a3tsw said:

yes , there is definitely a thinning out happening here in Phuket as there is no people coming in to replace all those leaving , and I refer to expats only and this can only lead to a knock-on effect which in all likelihood will lead further numbers leaving , such as those expats in businesses whose clientele consists mainy of foreigners.. 

Same in Samui. Almost all Expats have left.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Depends on the definition of expat, I don’t notice any difference - I wouldn’t be going anywhere anyway. Going to a restaurant is a bit of a non-event these days, going shopping a pain in butt but on the whole what has changed for holders of long stay visas. 

It may be unpopular, but I think some good things may come from the virus, perhaps some border bouncers should go home, some thieving taxi drivers will be forced to sell their tuktuk - let’s face it, do we really need 20 mostly empty Thai restaurants on one street or would a couple of good and full restaurants suffice. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Even with the amnesty in force many foreigners preferred to leave Thailand during the last 6 months. Now, when the amnesty was finished - even more will leave. If this is what Thailand's rulers want (less foreigners) - then they definitely succeed at it. And ,after reading TV and this thread in particular, it looks like the Exodus also makes happy many old misanthropic farangs who are still in Thailand. 

Never been many foreigners around here so can't see what "Exodus" you are referring to.

Went to an old Germans funeral a couple of weeks ago, died of a brain hemorrhage

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Depends on the definition of expat, I don’t notice any difference - I wouldn’t be going anywhere anyway. Going to a restaurant is a bit of a non-event these days, going shopping a pain in butt but on the whole what has changed for holders of long stay visas. 

It may be unpopular, but I think some good things may come from the virus, perhaps some border bouncers should go home, some thieving taxi drivers will be forced to sell their tuktuk - let’s face it, do we really need 20 mostly empty Thai restaurants on one street or would a couple of good and full restaurants suffice. 

Now, with the 'border bouncers' gone - your life will sparkle with many new colors. Definitely a good thing!