Expat exodus under way?

a3tsw

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

IMO I think most of big spenders will hunker down and avoid travelling altogether. It's those who had to border bounce to keep their visa active due to not having money in the first place that will end up out of here or fined/jailed/deported for overstay..

If you were right I'd say COVID was the last resort Thai Immigration have found to get rid of such people who were shamelessly abusing their system.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The fact is that to a live in a country other than your own you need to have adequate funds, to follow the law, to be well mannered and reasonably turned out. Best not to stick around if you are unable or unwilling to meet these criteria.

What haughty nonsense. Of course these qualities may be desired by dreamy TAT marketeers and utopian farangs, but the reality is there are any number of impecunious, foul-mouthed, up-to-no-good foreigners in soiled wife-beaters, making their homes around the Kingdom. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As a boozer I can definitely say Thailand is really cheap.

You just have to modify what booze you drink.

Less bottles of wine, More bottles of 'Red Cock' Vodka (Tesco, 150bht/750ml bottle)

You find me a bottle of Vodka in the UK for under 4 quid!

At 8/12 direct.

69Baht

0C1C64F4-925E-4FB1-A93E-8C4F30E54794.jpeg

• Haha 2

Of 21,762 net departures, the overwhelming majority, around 18,000 were from four countries:

Myanmar -10,188

Laos -4,201

Chinese -2,453

Russians -1,416

My guess is they left due to immigration status or needed to return home for whatever reason. I'm one of the Aussies, but will be back.

It's very very difficult for people to come to Thailand during this turmoil. Don't understand the net loss of 794 Thais, as expect thousands have returned from all over the place for safety, loss of livelihood overseas.

Reckon is a trickle under the circumstances and not an exodus of long term farang in Thailand.

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of expats have already left, prior to Covid. Immigration here is heinous. Attitudes need to change. There are alternatives. Thailand is NOT COU (the center of the universe). Many more will leave in the months and years ahead. 

Thailand takes in from hundreds of billions annually from its expat community. And it reverberates out in countless ways. Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. From both expats and tourists.

This hapless administration needs to develop some courage and initiative. They can't hide from the world forever. Extreme timidity from supposedly tough men is an amusing thing to witness. However, the pain they are inflicting on millions is not. 

All 100% true, however, as you know, Thai politicians do NOT enter politics to help the people or the country.

Only to help their own pockets.

Therefore, things will never change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

What haughty nonsense. Of course these qualities may be desired by dreamy TAT marketeers and utopian farangs, but the reality is there are any number of impecunious, foul-mouthed, up-to-no-good foreigners in soiled wife-beaters, making their homes around the Kingdom. 

:burp::stoner:

18 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

If you were right I'd say COVID was the last resort Thai Immigration have found to get rid of such people who were shamelessly abusing their system.

it's nobodies fault but the Thais for not giving enough credit to foreigner ingenuity in scamming their rules. That being said imo the party is over..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Given the current state of the States, unless they has an isolated homestead in Wyoming, Montana, or Alaska, I doubt many American expats are wanting to return home anytime soon. 

Texas is warmer   ????

1 hour ago, Pottinger said:

Of course not, I had a shower and got changed for the photographs and home visit when I applied for my extension!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Even with the amnesty in force many foreigners preferred to leave Thailand during the last 6 months. Now, when the amnesty was finished - even more will leave. If this is what Thailand's rulers want (less foreigners) - then they definitely succeed at it. And ,after reading TV and this thread in particular, it looks like the Exodus also makes happy many old misanthropic farangs who are still in Thailand. 

Of course we are happy. Much less competition around.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Or he just wanted to go home now

or, he had been saving his $$ all these years and got a great buy on a small estate... one never knows.

but yes, I imagine many expat places are empty... I think it started when they eliminated the liars letter and people actually needed to meet the qualifications. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Given the current state of the States, unless they has an isolated homestead in Wyoming, Montana, or Alaska, I doubt many American expats are wanting to return home anytime soon. 

I gotta say wrong on this implication of US being doom and gloom.

Life in US is back to normal.  There are still lot of mask nazis but for most part all have accepted there is a virus in the world and you may get sick.  But 99.9% will be over it in week or so just like everything else.

Now, the economy being a bombed out shell of itself is a different conversation.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, trucking said:

And where have you profited  ? How does it effect you ? Were they stealing from you in some way ?

Those people were still spending money here and their departure will not benefit the Thai economy in any way. Quite the opposite. They say they want tourists to return but the covid free ones they still have are being obliged to leave. Not very smart.

One day, the people with permanent resident visas ( the correct visa for living here full time ) will  probably say the same thing about you .....fiddling the system by extending ad nauseum.

Well said. Thank you.