Quarantine could be reduced to SEVEN days if STV plans successful: Tourism Minister

webfact

23 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

ronaldo0, yes, now we're talking about November. But, can they really walk back from their October folly in a month ? Retrieving anything of this high season depends on airlines getting clearance to resume schedules and the rush to get bookings. Surely, they have thrown it all away now.

The airlines are ready and waiting from what I can see . I have looked at few airlines and they are selling flights in November to bkk although ones like British airways have been doing this since May to cover themselves , then month before flight date they cancel the next months flights offering customers rebooking or vouchers .

• Like 1

Wow.. special chartered flights of only 300 passengers per week, makes is one Air Bus 350. Flying all over Europe picking up few here and few passengers there.

Just like other schemes, issued every weeks, this one not going to work !!!! 

Two choices:

1: wait for vaccine : mid next year.

2: Virus test at departure, test on arrival. All tourists have bar code associated with their passport. Mandatory daily tests for first 14 days. +ve test immediate quarantine    

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, CHdiver said:

AFAIK, with Agents you could buy a Voluntier Visa, also Education Visa could be had. Not cheap, but not expensive either imho. If somebody could not afford one of these, he probably would not contribute much to the economy anyway. 

There is a big % of tourist in Thailand who don't know or are not willing to use (possible illegal/dodgy) options. Plus, this money goes to agents and not the government. Where would be the "win" for the government in this?

• Like 1

Out of all plans so far (and many that will come) - this has at least has a chance to attract a small amount of tourists. 7 days is still too long, but some will choose to go through it as opposed to 14 days which is a deal breaker for 99% of people. Realistically they need to ditch quarantine altogether - require a test in home country 72 hours prior to departure, then another one upon landing with 1-2 days quarantine and release if negative. Anything else and they will only get a handful of tourists, certainly not thousands a day.

• Like 1

COVID can and will test positive long after day 7.  Usually, if symptoms develop (at all), it will do so after day 4 or longer.  Most people catch it on the plane coming over.

I mean really, there is no end to the lunacy that this country will spoon feed their people in the hopes of staying in power.  

As I have stated, 2020 will see no tourism.  What they should be sweating about is the fact that in exactly one year, best case scenario, there will be hardly anybody there either.  Worst case scenario, no vaccine, it will be a carbon copy of this year.  

They can't prepare their people for truth because something will happen.

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

They have daily reports about number of people with Covid detected upon coming to Thailand. There are occasional reports of someone testing positive to Covid after the one week check. They probably got it coming over on the plane. But I have never seen any report of someone who tested negative on arrival, negative after one week, but then positive the day before their scheduled departure.

i’ve also heard that from mild cases, the general recovery time is less than two weeks.

It may take up to two weeks for symptoms to develop, but a test should be able to detect it a lot quicker

Re: recovery time. I had the virus,i'll talk you through it...Mon: started to feel a bit rough. Tues-Thurs: bed-ridden,proper ill,didn't have a clue what was going on,had nothing like it before, even Mr Pharmacy had run out of the standard 'pick n mix' remedies he could give me. Fri: started feeling better. Sat: partying til 6am. Sun: partying til 5am. However I'm 50 and healthy and do realise some people need to be shielded until a vaccine turns up...maybe a good idea would be to keep the elderly and people with underlying health issues at home and get obese fatties (who are said to be at risk) to look after them until a vaccine arrives.

• Like 2

Ok I get it...desparate times call for desparate compromising measures.  If they reduce the quarantine period to 7 days, Thailand will pay a big price. Amazing Thailand!

The virus most commonly has an incubation period of FIVE DAYS. About 97% of people who contract the virus will show symptoms within 11 days. That means most people who’ve been infected will likely show symptoms within 11 days. By setting 14 days for the self-quarantine period, health officials are allowing extra time for people to be certain they haven’t been infected and can’t spread the virus to others.

Edited by Rockbottom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

What science backs a 7-day quarantine?  //

Why France has reduced quarantine to 7 days

Benjamin Davido, an infectologist at Raymond-Poincaré hospital in Paris, told France 2 that "most of the contamination occurs in the first five days".

Health minister Olivier Véran told France Inter on Tuesday that we are “more contagious in the first five days following the appearance of symptoms or testing positive. After, this contagiousness decreases in a very significant way,” he said. 

Beyond a week, the contagiousness remains but it is very weak,” he said, adding that this is the reason the government was considering reducing the quarantine period. 

• Thanks 1

The proposed 5-7 day quarantine reduction in France and Germany is ludicrous and irresponsible. 

Large scale Rapid Testing is not yet available in France and other European countries. In France, testing results are currently not adapted to a 7 day Q period and results sometimes are only available after three, four or even five days with current testing kits. With the recent surge in cases throughout major countries, it's not wise to alter the Q period at this time.

I would remind the good Minister not to confuse this virus with the seasonal or swine flu. In the case of the seasonal flu, the average incubation period is 2 days, with a range of 1 to 4 days. In the case of swine flu (H1N1 influenza virus), the incubation period varies between 1 and 4 days, which can be extended up to 7 days.

There is now emerging evidence that the COVID-19 virus is a genome altered pathogen, manufactured in the classified Biosafety Level 4 (BSL-4) lab in Wuhan, China, which holds the world's most dangerous pathogens at maximum biocontainment levels. IMHO Communist gov't of China purposely altered the genome and exported it by allowing Chinese to travel and infect the globe thus leveling the economic playing field. They need to pay for this egregious and reprehensible action that brought irreparable damage and death across the globe.

Edited by Rockbottom
  • Like 1

- 7 Days quarantine in aproved facilities or at your own house is OK ????

- As long as it is not under STV conditions. 

- instead Make clear wich Countries can enter with visa at arrival ?

( Or what ever visa already in place , Retirement,  Elite , what ever ..)

- Compulsory 72 H CV negative test before boarding .

- What ever nr of tests during 7 days .

--- The End --- , no complications involving Thai Embassy COE or other Agencies complexities....

That might work ! 

He thought that should all go to plan he would be in a position to approach the cabinet by the middle or end of November with proposals to test foreigners twice in seven days and limit quarantine to just 7 days from 14. 

I thought 14 days was the minimum incubation period?

6 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Out of all plans so far (and many that will come) - this has at least has a chance to attract a small amount of tourists. 7 days is still too long, but some will choose to go through it as opposed to 14 days which is a deal breaker for 99% of people. Realistically they need to ditch quarantine altogether - require a test in home country 72 hours prior to departure, then another one upon landing with 1-2 days quarantine and release if negative. Anything else and they will only get a handful of tourists, certainly not thousands a day.

So 72 hours before flying you go into strict quarantine in home country?

If it's not as above what you propose will not succeed.

Hey this guy is using the Trump plan. I doubt that the USA is even doing that, by the way their numbers

stay so high.  One thing the Immigration and the government can do is to do away with the

90 day border runs. if a long stay or expat only has to go to the local office and pay a few

baht for a new stamp, at least this would be a step forward. I do know that many Thais who

have done border runs with packets of passports for a fee will have to find a new job but

so be it. 

Come on Thailand you can do so much better with only using a little more brain power.

Geezer

seven days makes more sense since that is the median days of incubation for corona.  test upon arrival, keep in quarantine for 7 days then test again.  14 days is the length of infection... perhaps they are getting a little smarter...

• Like 2

A post with a link to Bangkok Post and a reply has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A post using a trolling meme and a reply has been removed. 

Bashers falling over themselves to be the first to trash and as usuall 80% of the infectious disease arm chair experts didn't even consult Google. There are other 1st world going the same path. 

https://www.intellasia.net/singapore-shortens-quarantine-period-for-arrivals-from-taiwan-to-7-days-803451

7 days will be a massive improvement for long stay tourism. But let's see what the hierarchy decide and thats the only bit that can potentially stuff it all up. 

Edited by madmen

21 hours ago, webfact said:

He now expects tourists to flood into the kingdom in their thousands PER DAY and spark an economic revival. 

Bali just tried it. Opened up to dumb tourists And now in Dire Straits. Virus infections SOARED! 

Is this guy for real? This virus does not discriminate . Money or no money, it’s BLOODY CONTAGIOUS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idiots !  and proving it day by day..... Oh yeah that's right..... Let's kick out 150,000 potential sources of revenue to chance on bringing in a few rich punters.......  Do you now see why the Chinese are known to be mad gamblers........Hopefully they'll do what the big losers normally do and chuck themselves off the nearest high building............  Nutcases !   

31 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Bali just tried it. Opened up to dumb tourists And now in Dire Straits. Virus infections SOARED! 

Is this guy for real? This virus does not discriminate . Money or no money, it’s BLOODY CONTAGIOUS. 

Absolute crock of you know what..... I'm on a ship at the moment with six guys on board who had COV 19 a few months ago.... Confirmed cases !   I asked one what was it like ?   "I don't know, i never felt anything".....

Go figure that one......... 

• Like 1