Is it worth buying cheap Angle Grinder?

giddyup

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Is there an expensive angle grinder?  ????

Two of my three were free with something else ???? 

I did try to swap the second freebie for something else more useful, no dice ???? 

I bought a cheap 300B angle grinder and it did the job, lasted 18 months with fair use, the one I bought to replace it was mid range 600B and feels a lot better.

I didn't like the on/off switch on the bottom of the cheap one, so searched on lazada for one with the normal positioned side switch.

2 hours ago, Adiudon said:

I bought a cheap 300B angle grinder and it did the job, lasted 18 months with fair use, the one I bought to replace it was mid range 600B and feels a lot better.

I didn't like the on/off switch on the bottom of the cheap one, so searched on lazada for one with the normal positioned side switch.

I bought this one on Lazada for 250 baht, has the on/off switch near the front.

button.jpg

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, Adiudon said:

About 250bht, plus another 100bht for 25 cutting disks ...... those disks don't last long.

Another 100bht for the leather gloves, extra careful with your toes when cutting while wearing flip flops and standing on the box to hold it steady..

IMG_20190815_120241.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

About 250bht, plus another 100bht for 25 cutting disks ...... those disks don't last long.

Another 100bht for the leather gloves, extra careful with your toes when cutting while wearing flip flops and standing on the box to hold it steady..

Don't forget protective eyewear.

There are always jobs around the house that can use an angle grinder.

I have four, each one with a different head on it.

Gate would not close yesterday because of the rain and some sinking movement on the pillars, one grinder to shave off the steel and a different one to cut back some concrete on the supporting pillars, try to do it by hand err nope....

• Like 1

I say, go for the 800b one. The 300b one probably will do the job, but my experience is that all those cheap tools will have some parts that are made from plastic and will break easily. I would not buy the cheapest of the cheapest personally when it comes to spinning tools.

7 hours ago, Polarizing said:

I say, go for the 800b one. The 300b one probably will do the job, but my experience is that all those cheap tools will have some parts that are made from plastic and will break easily. I would not buy the cheapest of the cheapest personally when it comes to spinning tools.

Too late, already bought the 250 baht model I pictured above.

7 hours ago, Polarizing said:

I reckon they will all have plastic parts that will break easily, I purchased a Makita one as the brushes were also readily available.

Please don't. Go for a good brand that is not made in China. I've bought a cheap one that only lasted a few weeks.

The first problem was the switch that could be fixed. But now the bearing of the head is fragged and I'd never switch that damn th9ing on again.

It could separate from the rest at any time. Wasted money. 

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

IMG_20190815_120241.jpg

Not a bad idea to clamp your work as well, especially while using a cutting disk. Vice grips, F or G clamps or preferably a bench vice. 

Some cheap power tools can be great performers, but I wouldn't buy or use cheap disks, especially cutting disks.

I am a boilermaker by trade, and I take greater care using a grinder than any other power tool.