"Winter" hot water heater.

It's starting to cool off "up North" now, I never realised prior to moving up here how inefficient the water heaters are when cold!

In the summer, water heater is barely required, the winter is a different story, still have hot water but just a good sized trickle from shower if you don't want to freeze, one thing I enjoy is a decent shower, especially when its cool!

What are the options for "upgrading" without ripping down walls for rewiring? current "instant" heater is 8kw, which serves bath, shower and sinks.

If your a "southern softy" & never ventured "up North" you wont comprehend - why! 🙂 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks, there had to be at least one stating this, obviously we have a difference of opinion. 🙂 

We have a 7kw shower unit which get too hot If set to high even under extra power from the water pump,  power shower. 👍 Never saw the point of water heaters in Thailand.   

Our solar water heater provides all our hot water needs.    

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I would say it is hard to give you a reasonable answer if you don't write anything about the existing wiring. 

All I know is it handles 8kw and its copper & has '2 x 4" on the outer insulation. 😞 

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

All I know is it handles 8kw and its copper & has '2 x 4" on the outer insulation. 😞 

If your cable have 4 mm2 then this is not enough for 8kW already. At least if you want a correct installation. So a stronger water heater with this cable is a problem. You can take a water heater with a tank. But it needs more energy and has other disadvantages.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

We have a 7kw shower unit which get too hot If set to high even under extra power from the water pump,  power shower. 👍

Never saw the point of water heaters in Thailand. 

We've never had one as rarely need it even though we live northish.

However, on days where it gets down to 15-17 and a cold shower is a bit too bracing we just boil up a big pot of water on the stove ( about 5 minutes ) then mix it with cold water in the bathroom galamang. Low tech but actually prefer a big cascade of water to a shower. In any event , only need to do this about 10 days a year

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Seems that you need to "warm up" the water before it reaches the shower unit.

That would work, but difficult to retrofit! would have to reroute water piping and would need another power supply, worthy of some thought - thanks.

Water to the house is cool! doesn't travel far, no other houses around, goes into a smallish stainless tank that is painted matt black which helps a little.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

That would work, but difficult to retrofit! would have to reroute water piping and would need another power supply, worthy of some thought - thanks.

Water to the house is cool! doesn't travel far, no other houses around, goes into a smallish stainless tank that is painted matt black which helps a little.

Could you fit an immersion heater to that SS tank and set its thermostat to just take the cold edge off the water.

https://th.rs-online.com/web/p/water-heater-elements/7904811?cm_mmc=TH-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_TH_EN_Catch_All-_-Fusion-_-7904811&matchtype=&pla-366797395160&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tqhk_-D7AIVUyUrCh1EdQzdEAQYAyABEgJvZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is just an example, larger ones may be available.

Edited by chickenslegs

Can you measure your supply voltage when the 8kW heater is operating? Power is a square-law against voltage the actual power of your heater may be well down.

Without re-wiring  / re-plumbing your options are limited, you could go for an LPG heater, but be aware of ventilation.

Heater.jpg

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Could you fit an immersion heater to that SS tank and set its thermostat to just take the cold edge off the water.

Tank also feeds toilets, kitchen etc, so not really. It holds enough water for 24 hours normal inside household usage.

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Can you measure your supply voltage when the 8kW heater is operating? Power is a square-law against voltage the actual power of your heater may be well down.

It drop's ~20v, (Note. heater is placed in one of the most inhospitable and cramped places in Thailand - or I'm old?)

I can live with what I have, but do enjoy a hot powerful shower, (I have no hesitation spending money on myself 🙂 within reason!) 

Not interested in ripping tiles off the wall for plumbing though, bathroom sits under a flat concrete roof that is filled with insulation so running power cables not practical or easy either. Gas not an option, too many negatives.

I was hoping there might now be a "alternative" heater, new to the market, looks like that is all it is - hope.

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

I was hoping there might now be a "alternative" heater, new to the market, looks like that is all it is - hope.

Not wishing to coin a phrase but "You cannae change the laws of physics Jim", 8kW (or about 6kW with your volt drop) will impart the same energy to the water (and hence the same delta-t) whatever the heater "technology".

'Tis how it is I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not wishing to coin a phrase but "You cannae change the laws of physics Jim", 8kW (or about 6kW with your volt drop) will impart the same energy to the water (and hence the same delta-t) whatever the heater "technology".

'Tis how it is I'm afraid.

Yes, I get your point 😞 

But! if the energy could be used more efficiently, though it appears we haven't found a way of doing that yet.

My initial thought were that there was possibly a "storage" type of water heater that would be more efficient, I have seen the smaller ones but never looked into them, if you had a "reasonable" volume of water sat at a higher temperature, the colder water would take less heating/power - if that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yes, I get your point 😞 

But! if the energy could be used more efficiently, though it appears we haven't found a way of doing that yet.

My initial thought were that there was possibly a "storage" type of water heater that would be more efficient, I have seen the smaller ones but never looked into them, if you had a "reasonable" volume of water sat at a higher temperature, the colder water would take less heating/power - if that makes sense.

One of the few electrical appliances that's nearly 100% efficient is a heater, pretty well all of the energy supplied to any appliance, your computer included, ends up as heat.

Storage water heaters use less power (and therefore provide less stress to the supply infrastructure) over a longer period to heat the water, it's still the same amount of energy used (they're not cheaper to run).

• Like 1