How's the bus?

ricklev

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Just seems to be a general mafia thing across Thailand, to control land transport in the tourism industry.  

Transport is an essential service.  Similar to electric and water.  

Thailand has got away with tourist transport scams all over the country for decades, but the scam can't last forever, especially as competition for the tourist dollar increases in the region.  

There's something wrong when a short journey in a tuktuk or taxi that refuses to use the meter is more than the cost of the tourist's hotel for the day.  

For someone who is relying on hearsay as evidence,you,ve now escalated the baht bus fare from more than the bus from Bkk fare to now more than your hotel room rate! Common give up the nonsense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Susco said:

So first with the suitcase crossing the median strip to catch a taxi in the right direction, then change to another taxi at the roundabout, who would drop you off NEAR your hotel, so probably another few hundred meter walk with the suitcase to reach the hotel.

And all that to save 30 Baht?

Times must have been tough for you, and I'm sure you are missed here. I bet you're living the good life wherever you are now.

Nice that you are so rich. I'm sure you share your largess with the poor people of Pattaya.

All that effort to insult another poster that pities you, for your post says much about your character.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nice that you are so rich. I'm sure you share your largess with the poor people of Pattaya.

All that effort to insult another poster that pities you, for your post says much about your character.

I quite like walking, and it's good for me.

I never carry a suitcase, usually just a small backpack.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never carried my suitcases as they always had wheels.

The wheels are good at the airport (you get a free cart anyways) and shopping malls, but are horrible on most streets and sidewalks (as if they have them).  Bookbag for me, they were an absolute must at a large uni campus.  Got about 14 years out of a Jansport, but the stitching holding the zipper in place eventually ripped, from carrying a 40 cm bong in it.  Gave it to a friend, who sewed it up and gave it to her 8 year-old, who graduated from high school with it.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Going to extremes to save 30 Baht has nothing to do with rich or poor, it about being cheap or skint.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never carried my suitcases as they always had wheels.

How does that work out going over the concrete curb of a median strip?

I'm not insulting anyone, just pointing out the kind of foreigners Thailand, or any other tourist country for that matter, can miss like a toothache.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, steven100 said:

They don't want cheap charlies.  They want wealthy spenders. They don't want bus catchers.

It's the truth whether you like it or not.

I think you are the cheap charly!

If you were really rich (what Thailand wants), then you would fly to Pattaya (direct to your hotel) with an copter!

I see them they like to fly from Airport direct to the hotels in bangkok near my condo. So you choose to use a merc limo.. that look like a very cheap charly for them. Same you complain about others also is the same for you. Take care there are always smarter, richer, ... people than you

Edited by HampiK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moontang said:

The wheels are good at the airport (you get a free cart anyways) and shopping malls, but are horrible on most streets and sidewalks (as if they have them).  Bookbag for me, they were an absolute must at a large uni campus.  Got about 14 years out of a Jansport, but the stitching holding the zipper in place eventually ripped, from carrying a 40 cm bong in it.  Gave it to a friend, who sewed it up and gave it to her 8 year-old, who graduated from high school with it.

I had a bag with super dooper wheels that would even work on sand, so good for beaches. No problem at all on rough Thai roads. I rarely got to use it on pavements as that was usually blocked and easier to just walk along the road. I had it so long it rotted and by then I was using taxis anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Going to extremes to save 30 Baht has nothing to do with rich or poor, it about being cheap or skint.

How does that work out going over the concrete curb of a median strip?

I'm not insulting anyone, just pointing out the kind of foreigners Thailand, or any other tourist country for that matter, can miss like a toothache.

I'm cheap, so what is that to do with you?

Going over the curb was no problem at all. I could still lift the bag if I had to.

It's not up to you to dictate what sort of foreigner can visit Thailand.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HampiK said:

So you choose to use a merc limo.. that look like a very cheap charly for them.

There's a limo you can get to Pattaya full of naked girls (and a mini bar).

What size copter are we talking about?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 7:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so much a rip off as a bad service. They cram people in till squashed up. No wonder farang tourists were not going to Pattaya so much.

Not now they don't, there's not enough customers to "Cram them in". They'd be waiting forever to fill it. I was surprised that it left after about 5 minutes with five or six of us in and only charged 30 baht. That was a few weeks ago. 

Presumably they knew it would be a while for the next bus to come in and we'd get fed up waiting and get a motorsy.

Edited by rott
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rott said:

Not now they don't, there's not enough customers to "Cram them in". They'd be waiting forever to fill it. I was surprised that it left after about 5 minutes with five or six of us in and only charged 30 baht. That was a few weeks ago. 

Presumably they knew it would be a while for the next bus to come in and we'd get fed up waiting and get a motorsy.

How dare you reply with your own actual recent experience.!! ????

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's a limo you can get to Pattaya full of naked girls (and a mini bar).

What size copter are we talking about?

I only see them...
I would guess 2-4 people can sit inside. So if you want fly to your hotel in bangkok, I think it's easier to let your girls coming to the hotel.. the 15 minutes flight or whatever it takes you can be hopefully without female companionship.

3 hours ago, rott said:

Similar experience here from 3 weeks ago, the baht bus left with 4 people (2 couples) on it as soon as they realised that we were the only ones from that Bangkok bus that were getting on & it would be an hour before the next Bangkok bus came in.

Slight difference is we were charged 50 THB each as usual.   

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HampiK said:

If you were really rich (what Thailand wants), then you would fly to Pattaya (direct to your hotel) with an copter!

Which hotels have a helipad.... and be sure you don't end up in BHP, the most expensive rooms in town. 

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

the post is suppose to be about bus travel, not a member blowing his trumpet about baht bus on Koh Chang.   lol

stick to your limousine that way your trumpet playing won,t upset the punters on the bus.

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2020 at 6:31 AM, jacko45k said:

If there is no provision for a taxi stand there it is simply a choice.

Last I heard, in Phuket, Grab drivers were simply charging the same extortion price as the taxis that refused to use the meter.

On 10/5/2020 at 8:18 AM, Olmate said:

For someone who is relying on hearsay as evidence,you,ve now escalated the baht bus fare from more than the bus from Bkk fare to now more than your hotel room rate! Common give up the nonsense.

Below, you will see I was speaking in general of Thailand.  Transport scams well documented on Google.  

Just seems to be a general mafia thing across Thailand, to control land transport in the tourism industry. 

Below was in relation to Phuket, where a short journey in a tuktuk or taxi that refuses to use the meter, is usually more expensive than a decent guest house room.

There's something wrong when a short journey in a tuktuk or taxi that refuses to use the meter is more than the cost of the tourist's hotel for the day.  

Why don't you ask a price of a taxi in Pattaya and see what he says.  Given centrally located and clean, but not luxurious rooms can he had for 500 baht, you will see the reason for my comment.  

Show me where I mentioned the words "baht bus" in the post you quoted me.

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Below, you will see I was speaking in general of Thailand.  Transport scams well documented on Google.  

Below was in relation to Phuket, where a short journey in a tuktuk or taxi that refuses to use the meter, is usually more expensive than a decent guest house room.

Why don't you ask a price of a taxi in Pattaya and see what he says.  Given centrally located and clean, but not luxurious rooms can he had for 500 baht, you will see the reason for my comment.  

Show me where I mentioned the words "baht bus" in the post you quoted me.

For starters the 2 quotes you show as mine are not.and of course your.ref baht bus what other busruns into central patts.

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

For starters the 2 quotes you show as mine are not.and of course your.ref baht bus what other busruns into central patts.

One quote was yours, to start the post, the other two were obviously mine.

Be sure to post on the price quoted to you by a "metered" taxi in Pattaya, and then we can see if it is higher than accommodation for a night. 

On 9/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, Leaver said:

Was told by a friend who caught the airport bus, pre Covid, that they wanted 200 baht from everyone to jump in a baht bus to be taken to their hotel.  That's several people in one baht bus, not a baht bus each.  He got them down to 150 baht.  Best he could do.

He had a suitcase, so couldn't jump on the back of  moto taxi.  

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

One quote was yours, to start the post, the other two were obviously mine.

Be sure to post on the price quoted to you by a "metered" taxi in Pattaya, and then we can see if it is higher than accommodation for a night. 

Why , it’s about price  of baht bus as your “friend” told you! Bye...

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Why , it’s about price  of baht bus as your “friend” told you! Bye...

Yes, and after 14 pages, the thread digressed.  It happens.  Be sure to post back with a quote from a Pattaya "metered" taxi so we can compare it to accommodation prices.  

On 10/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, Leaver said:

If you have anything to suggest fair pricing there, go ahead and post it, but moving back to on topic in Pattaya, many passengers getting of the bus here are ripped off just the same.  

I have never heard of anyone being turned over as your friend was. And apparently neither has anyone else on here. Very annoying for him obviously but does not seem to be a regular event. 

On 10/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, rott said:

I have never heard of anyone being turned over as your friend was. And apparently neither has anyone else on here. Very annoying for him obviously but does not seem to be a regular event. 

Yes.  That's why I warned the OP about it.  Whilst it's not common, it does happen.  

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, steven100 said:

I always get a Limousine hire as it's much more comfortable and not expensive.

A bus I expect would be a hell trip, cramped and stopping every 20 minutes .... no thanks.

Are you saying, that in all of the almost 30 years that you claim to live in Thailand, that you have never taken a bus? BS on both. Especially the 30 year bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1