How's the bus?

ricklev

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

People who take a bus are cheap charlies and visa freeloaders? Arrogant statement. Not the first from you, if memory serves me right. Should I call you Sir, I wonder? Sir, I think you are an odious individual. Just my opinion, and maybe that of others.

I wonder if he wears a coon skin coat, or just a gold chain. 

My experiences with Mexico and South America tell me a sudden rise in kidnappings would not be unusual.  Best not to make oneself a target... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

My experiences with Mexico and South America tell me a sudden rise in kidnappings would not be unusual.  Best not to make oneself a target... 

I don't think he's serious. He's too over the top to be real. A bit of a troll I think, posting to get reactions.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Depending when i arrive but Bell buses are fine with me.If late i use  mr t  but his prices are starting to creep up  plus in most cases the drivers  are wanting a tip.

It  the arrival is to late it is easier tp fine a cheap hotel near the airport with  pick up  and  next morning  go back to the airport and use Bell.

• Like 1

Ridiculous to see so many solo travellers going to Pattaya getting into a car each at the airport, with most staying in central Pattaya, a short distance away from each other.  

I've always ordered a car and driver, but many places in Thailand have the minivans.  

I wouldn't have a problem getting a minivan, provided it takes you to your front door, with no BS along the way, and perhaps doing a 7/11 beer stop and having a chat with other passengers on the way to Pattaya.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember years ago taking the "First Class" bus to Pattaya and just thinking it was a riot.   Loved the pricing and the ride was fine, but not First Class.   Last year took a bus to Korat, which I think was about 300 baht, but just an amazing difference over the bus I took years ago to Pattaya.   I don't know if they improved the Pattaya buses, but regardless, I'd hop on one again.   I like having all that metal around me on Thailand roads.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, samtab said:

and you call anybody else ridiculous ?!

image.jpeg.e95eb426c7a991aab6835eb8830d8527.jpeg

Here are some Google images of the minivans I get when I am in Vietnam.  Check out the interior.  Very luxurious.  Massage chairs, WiFi etc.  They could even sell drinks onboard. 

Not like the rubbish minivans Thailand offers. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBAU907AU907&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=vip+minivans+vietnam+images&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO8JrvjofsAhURlEsFHa1bCYYQjJkEegQIChAB&biw=1920&bih=969

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, Big Joke said:

I used the Ekkami Pattaya bus on Monday  as my bus to my home town was cancelled. They are leaving every hour on the hour from 0600 to 1900???? Social distance applies so 1 person 2 seats limit to 19 passengers per bus. My bus had 12 passengers.

I took the Ekkamai to Pattaya bus on Wednesday, Pattaya to Ekkamai on Friday.  Single seating was hit or miss.  On the outbound trip, I was seated next to another passenger.  When we departed Ekkamai, many seats were available in the rear of the bus so I just changes seats.

Pattaya to Ekkamai, I specifically asked for a single seat and she gave me the rearmost seat.

Just as we were pulling out, the bus stopped and another passenger got on...guess which seat?  Yup, the one next to me though there were several empty rows.  Turned out he specifically asked for the back row because it had the most leg room.   Lucky me.

I think the ticket sellers really don't pay much attention to spacing.  If you ask for a single seat, you may get one and you may not.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, steven100 said:

I always get a Limousine hire as it's much more comfortable and not expensive.

A bus I expect would be a hell trip, cramped and stopping every 20 minutes .... no thanks.

It seems you have never taken the air-con bus from Ekamai to Pattaya before. They are never cramped (even before covid-19) and it's not a very long trip. You seem a bit spoiled. What normal person takes a limo from BKK to Pattaya? 

2 hours ago, globalspark said:

Depending when i arrive but Bell buses are fine with me.If late i use  mr t  but his prices are starting to creep up  plus in most cases the drivers  are wanting a tip.

It  the arrival is to late it is easier tp fine a cheap hotel near the airport with  pick up  and  next morning  go back to the airport and use Bell.

I don't think OP is talking about a bus from the airport to Pattaya. That's why he mentioned Ekamai (bus terminal on Sukhumvit Rd). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think OP is talking about a bus from the airport to Pattaya. That's why he mentioned Ekamai (bus terminal on Sukhumvit Rd). 

All public transport options from Bangkok to Pattaya are rubbish.  Designed specifically so everyone gets a piece of the tourists pie, with no thought to service delivery, traffic management, and the environment.  

Corruption here wins again,

Edited by Leaver

8 hours ago, madisongy said:

I remember years ago taking the "First Class" bus to Pattaya and just thinking it was a riot.   Loved the pricing and the ride was fine, but not First Class.   Last year took a bus to Korat, which I think was about 300 baht, but just an amazing difference over the bus I took years ago to Pattaya.   I don't know if they improved the Pattaya buses, but regardless, I'd hop on one again.   I like having all that metal around me on Thailand roads.

Rather like the 'VIP' buses. VIPs do not take the bus.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

At least you avoided the train, would have been several days.  Looking forward to the High Speed Bullet train planned and already under construction. Hope it's safe on the tracks as it approaches its max of 37 kilometres per hour.

From what I understand, there is no high speed rail under construction in Thailand. All of the construction seems to be for a second rail. Which will speed things up slightly. Some new rolling stock, to replace the 60 year old cars.

There are no plans to increase rail cargo, which would take pressure off the clogged highways. 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, steven100 said:

I always get a Limousine hire as it's much more comfortable and not expensive.

A bus I expect would be a hell trip, cramped and stopping every 20 minutes .... no thanks.

Doesn't stop every 20 mins.... Straight from Ekemai to Pattaya... Only stops once at the entrance of it...

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, champers said:

The busses from Ekkami are comfortable and are safely driven. The journey takes a couple of hours and there are hourly busses. Some brief stops in Pattaya to let people off but nothing to write home about. Ticket is 119 Baht.

Exactly... Most trips take between 1 3/4 Hr and 2 hours depending on traffic. Busses +/- every hour... 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I used to take the bus and it was never a problem.

But often when I take the taxi to the bus station the driver ask me where I go and I tell them Pattaya. They all want to go and often they offered (in the past) a trip for 1200B or something like that. I agreed.

And from Pattaya to Bangkok it's even better. At the corner of Soi 8 is a place where taxis to Bangkok can be hired for 600B. They look for all the taxis which would drive back empty and 600B is a lot better than nothing.

I did this for years but the last time was probably sometime in 2019. So I am not sure if the prices are still up to date.

Corner of Soi 8 and ______?

17 hours ago, moontang said:

We're always predicting that, but though thugs were discovered to rule Pattaya as early as 1997, and the police helpless, the danger has never proven a deterrent to living the dream.

personna2.jpg.b25ccd11a6997a0a8dce75a2119a2b30.jpg

Edited by BigStar

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Question. 

Assuming people don't book this route in advance and they run hourly what are the odds of getting a seat on a bus that only can sell half their seats?

Any tips about that?

Wait   you will be first on the next

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

From what I understand, there is no high speed rail under construction in Thailand. All of the construction seems to be for a second rail. Which will speed things up slightly. Some new rolling stock, to replace the 60 year old cars.

There are no plans to increase rail cargo, which would take pressure off the clogged highways. 

Just checked my source Mike, from a CNN report November 2019

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-bullet-trains/index.html#:~:text=Bangkok to Khorat in 77 minutes&text=Expected to open in 2023,nearly all of the construction.

With this plan

1107939222_Screenshot2020-09-27at14_14_41.thumb.png.bf49342c4270037add81e0b9dd98c60b.png

so I assumed the plan was for HSR as per that article. Looking at the track being laid down to Cha Am it does indeed look narrow gauge, so as you say, just a second track to allow 2 way traffic so to speak.

However the Bangkok Post also published this on October 2019.

395877183_Screenshot2020-09-27at14_12_37.png.768c990a3431e17e52551255e7c6a434.png

So have you read somewhere that the plans have been scrapped which in my view would be a shame?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Question. 

Assuming people don't book this route in advance and they run hourly what are the odds of getting a seat on a bus that only can sell half their seats?

Any tips about that?

I don't think they are doing that anymore. 

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

Just checked my source Mike, from a CNN report November 2019

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-bullet-trains/index.html#:~:text=Bangkok to Khorat in 77 minutes&text=Expected to open in 2023,nearly all of the construction.

With this plan

1107939222_Screenshot2020-09-27at14_14_41.thumb.png.bf49342c4270037add81e0b9dd98c60b.png

so I assumed the plan was for HSR as per that article. Looking at the track being laid down to Cha Am it does indeed look narrow gauge, so as you say, just a second track to allow 2 way traffic so to speak.

However the Bangkok Post also published this on October 2019.

395877183_Screenshot2020-09-27at14_12_37.png.768c990a3431e17e52551255e7c6a434.png

So have you read somewhere that the plans have been scrapped which in my view would be a shame?

Let us hope. The country desperately needs high speed transport. Yesterday. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Doesn't stop every 20 mins.... Straight from Ekemai to Pattaya... Only stops once at the entrance of it...

Actually it depends if any passengers want to get off prior, they are quite accommodating for Thais. They often stop in Laem Chabang and the Rhompoe just past which involves a detour, rather than taking #7 to where it hits Suk between Nua and Klang.

Once had a load of students on board and the damned thing went a bit further North towards Sri Racha.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, steven100 said:

what do you think of a bus travel .... relaxing ?  i doubt. 

I now take a private taxi (because I can and much easier from DM) but I have had some good conversations with Thais on the bus, also with some farangs. But then, I like people.

When you are distracted, time passes quicker. I don't keep my face in my phone though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I now take a private taxi (because I can and much easier from DM) but I have had some good conversations with Thais on the bus, also with some farangs. But then, I like people.

When you are distracted, time passes quicker. I don't keep my face in my phone though. 

what's a private taxi    ? 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Let us hope. The country desperately needs high speed transport. Yesterday. 

I could have sworn there were several airlines, travelling five times faster, for less money than the government railroad will lose on every ticket sold.