renewal 5 year license in Phuket

aussieinphuket

sorry if this has already been discussed.... i have a 5 yr license which expired on my birthday 19th August 2020

i visited the transportation license office on the 19th august 2020 and was told cannot get appointment for about

2 months and yes to  book online person was not really helpful and didnt seem to care.

i tried the online apps but nothing will works.

i asked an agency for help and apart from 'it cost this much'  i am now told i have to do an online seminar or go to

rajchapat university then go to get a new car i assume license at transportation office...

as my license is now over 1 month expiry but i was told i could still drive until the appointment date and made payments 

and watched the silly video etc. 

has anyone else been instructed to do online seminar etc.. or maybe this is new since i have been to transportation office

to try and speed things up because they dont want lots of people in the same rooms together due covid.. ?

thanks 

Everyone seems to believe you'r OK for up to a year after the expiry date. My expired licence was checked a couple of times by police whist I was touring Isaan with no questions asked.

I found out you need to hand in the documents when you make the appointment, including the residence certificate. I was going to get this last week but Immigration was a zoo for obvious reasons so I will wait until next month. My licence expired in May.

• Like 2

thanks comments and replies appreciated. funny had lunch with 2 mates here in phuket yesterday and we discussed this, 

one license expired 9th august he got appointment booked for 15th october another expired end august he got an appointment 25th September strange. anyway i will venture down again on monday and see what response i get again this time. in the meantime i also carry my international license and my australian license both currently valid. 

so no one has heard about doing the online seminar or similar at the university here in phuket i mentioned seems strange also.... my 2 mates also yesterday were never advised of this ...

AS OFF Sep2020

So it seems like this topic has still not been concluded into any sort of resolution..  

What needs to be considered and remembered is there are no real rules and even when there is supposed to be then they are not followed and

changed and so on .... the stories are endless, showing this fact again and again across every topic ... trying to clear the muddled confusion from entities

( Father, forgeue them, for they wote not what they do.... (or do they?))

like 3 year olds trying to work out what color candy belongs to whom...

Anyway, the best we can do I think is gather the latest info from the good members here, taking their time to be helpful adding their experience....

I am sure we are all grateful....

So to sum it up and please comment/add/repost if you know better  (Please add date of your experience):

Latest I hear are appointments, beyond the usual go all the way there to make an appointment for another day… (sure a lot of invalid info here):

1/ Some say need, some not

2/ Another video?  And somewhere else? For which topic?

3/ Told onsite they need go an make an appointment online (app doesn’t work)

Even “you need to buy a new car”

PHUKET 

Topic 1 :  FIRST TIME LICENCE WITHOUT USING YOUR OLD NON THAI LICENCE:

1/ Medical certificate THB 100 issued at most places medical.

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted)

3/ Passport copies: The usual (Not myself too much, but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything, (and a charged phone/battery pack, with unlimited data  a bottle of water and a packed lunch, although you will have plenty

of time for the revered lunch break (stop laughing!))

4/ See the movie

5/ Do the Green go / Red stop test

6/ Drive/Ride around the track

4/ A car or bike (bikes can be rented for THB 100 onsite for testing)

Topic 2  FROM THE ONE YEAR TO THE 5 YEAR LICENCE:

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted) And nobody knows what your address on the back of any of the issued licenses

are for as nobody cares, thus you need the immigration certificate of residence with your lovely photo on it.

3/ The usual (Not myself but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything)

Topic 3  FROM THE 5 YEAR LICENCE TO A RENEWED 5 YEAR LICENCE:

Anyone?

Topic 4  LENGTH OF VAILITITY (how long the can expire for then be renewed without all the above again)

Topic 4  AGENT BROKERS : 

I checked out one and they started with the price f thousands so I quickly lost interest, however, some perhaps not in country and want to keep the licenses valid could possible use them.

Any information welcomed.

Just trying to clear it up a bit…

Happy motoring……

Edited by Seeall
add

I have a 2 year licence which expired in July but due to Covid the website for Land Transport still says "we are not open" even though they have been open for some time.

I went to District 1 office and the guy was less than helpful but the gist is I need another medical certificate. I handed him-passport and WP but need a medical as well and no appointment until 4th November. One has to go to the office and book it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RawboneFunksta said:

I have a 2 year licence which expired in July but due to Covid the website for Land Transport still says "we are not open" even though they have been open for some time.

I went to District 1 office and the guy was less than helpful but the gist is I need another medical certificate. I handed him-passport and WP but need a medical as well and no appointment until 4th November. One has to go to the office and book it. 

I think its old and valid news we need go there to book (like in cave man days) then I read the post about they were told to go and book online (which suprise.. did not work) .  so more info on this book online would be nice..  at least we can try it, print out the error and show them when/if told that..

This online seminar is for Thai people and in Thai. You need to register with a Thai ID. If you have a Thai ID card as foreigner it should work too. When you have done it you don't have to watch the movie anymore when you pick up your license. 

17 minutes ago, Oldie said:

This online seminar is for Thai people and in Thai. You need to register with a Thai ID. If you have a Thai ID card as foreigner it should work too. When you have done it you don't have to watch the movie anymore when you pick up your license. 

If I was lucky to have a thai ID card I would be trying to get a seat in on this....

On 9/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

In Bangkok you go there and make an appointment.  Can't speak for Phuket.

You can use the DLT app to make an appointment.  Just went through all of this in Bangkok at the Chatuchak DLT office.  I posted about it previously.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Still had to watch the 45 minutes of Videos, even with the e-learning certificate in hand here in Bangkok.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:47 PM, Seeall said:

AS OFF Sep2020

So it seems like this topic has still not been concluded into any sort of resolution..  

What needs to be considered and remembered is there are no real rules and even when there is supposed to be then they are not followed and

changed and so on .... the stories are endless, showing this fact again and again across every topic ... trying to clear the muddled confusion from entities

( Father, forgeue them, for they wote not what they do.... (or do they?))

like 3 year olds trying to work out what color candy belongs to whom...

Anyway, the best we can do I think is gather the latest info from the good members here, taking their time to be helpful adding their experience....

I am sure we are all grateful....

So to sum it up and please comment/add/repost if you know better  (Please add date of your experience):

Latest I hear are appointments, beyond the usual go all the way there to make an appointment for another day… (sure a lot of invalid info here):

1/ Some say need, some not

2/ Another video?  And somewhere else? For which topic?

3/ Told onsite they need go an make an appointment online (app doesn’t work)

Even “you need to buy a new car”

PHUKET 

Topic 1 :  FIRST TIME LICENCE WITHOUT USING YOUR OLD NON THAI LICENCE:

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted)

3/ Passport copies: The usual (Not myself too much, but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything, (and a charged phone/battery pack, with unlimited data  a bottle of water and a packed lunch, although you will have plenty

of time for the revered lunch break (stop laughing!))

4/ See the movie

5/ Do the Green go / Red stop test

6/ Drive/Ride around the track

4/ A car or bike (bikes can be rented for THB 100 onsite for testing)

Topic 2  FROM THE ONE YEAR TO THE 5 YEAR LICENCE:

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted) And nobody knows what your address on the back of any of the issued licenses

are for as nobody cares, thus you need the immigration certificate of residence with your lovely photo on it.

3/ The usual (Not myself but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything)

Topic 3  FROM THE 5 YEAR LICENCE TO A RENEWED 5 YEAR LICENCE:

Anyone?

Topic 4  LENGTH OF VAILITITY (how long the can expire for then be renewed without all the above again)

Topic 4  AGENT BROKERS : 

I checked out one and they started with the price f thousands so I quickly lost interest, however, some perhaps not in country and want to keep the licenses valid could possible use them.

Any information welcomed.

Just trying to clear it up a bit…

Happy motoring……

Going to add to this in the hope to have a decent list as correct as possible....

Topic 4 Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted) c/ There seems to be a rule (nonsence most say) tat you have to

have an immigration issued residence certificate  for most this, like our driving licence topic here, however, some of us have used: Yellow books, a statement written on a form in a tourist police

endorced by his girlfriend with her thai ID card and others... whilst we all know what is accepted depends on a whim, surely a goverment issued document would surfice is the LTD could

be open to sensible change...  How about a Chanotte that has your name on the back and all details of the property on the front?  and/ or A TM30 printout..  It seems to me that no matter what the 

programmed staff will unlikely think at all...

well i posted this last week.

1. i went to visit DLT in Phuket and ask what was needed.

only letter from immigration confirming address and documents such as front page of passport and

copy of visa pages, photo etc etc

2. No Medical Certificate required

3. No Online seminar etc

so i didnt use any of the so-called experts who wanted to charge me between 4,000 to 8,000 for so-called

assistance and smoothing the way through.

Thursday 1st Oct i went to immigration in Phuket for residents letter i was the only one at immigration had a laugh with the tourist police who joked questioning is long, took maximum 5 minutes for young lady to print out the letters for my wife and I and thb300 each

Then went straight to DLT and saw the lady at the front desk, no one else there in sue, gave her all the copies required and asked her could i have a date that correspondence more closely with the expiry of my wife's license in early november she was very obliging asked me what date i wanted and took a monday day before wife's birthday.  yellow appointment slip issued took 5 minutes. 

i sent a message to both these experts telling them the information they gave me was totally incorrect and why are they charging or expecting people to pay so much money when it seems they cannot do the right job, obviously NO replies. good luck to all as immigration so quiet if anyone needs to go do it now.

• Like 1

Thanks,

how early could you have gotten the appt?

should have made it the day AFTER her bd an gotten 6 years

but its free>>> why did you pay 300 baht?
did they demand it?

Edited by zzzzz

4 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Thanks,

how early could you have gotten the appt?

should have made it the day AFTER her bd an gotten 6 years

but its free>>> why did you pay 300 baht?
did they demand it?

I think he was talking about the certificate of residence, 300 THB is the standard price.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:01 AM, aussieinphuket said:

so no one has heard about doing the online seminar or similar at the university here in phuket i mentioned seems strange also.... my 2 mates also yesterday were never advised of this ...

In Bangkok I was told the online video session is only for Thais (even though I'd managed to log in and complete it). The online appointment system as well.
Also, I'd gone in and got an appointment that was over 2 months away but on that day there were a couple of people who just turned up and were able to do it. Maybe there'd been cancellations? Might not apply to Phuket in the same way of course, but it sounds similar.

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

well i posted this last week.

1. i went to visit DLT in Phuket and ask what was needed.

only letter from immigration confirming address and documents such as front page of passport and

copy of visa pages, photo etc etc

2. No Medical Certificate required

3. No Online seminar etc

so i didnt use any of the so-called experts who wanted to charge me between 4,000 to 8,000 for so-called

assistance and smoothing the way through.

Thursday 1st Oct i went to immigration in Phuket for residents letter i was the only one at immigration had a laugh with the tourist police who joked questioning is long, took maximum 5 minutes for young lady to print out the letters for my wife and I and thb300 each

Then went straight to DLT and saw the lady at the front desk, no one else there in sue, gave her all the copies required and asked her could i have a date that correspondence more closely with the expiry of my wife's license in early november she was very obliging asked me what date i wanted and took a monday day before wife's birthday.  yellow appointment slip issued took 5 minutes. 

i sent a message to both these experts telling them the information they gave me was totally incorrect and why are they charging or expecting people to pay so much money when it seems they cannot do the right job, obviously NO replies. good luck to all as immigration so quiet if anyone needs to go do it now.

I had exactly the same experience on the same day.

I've been dealing with this all week in Bangkok. In short, this is what happened:

1. Went to Mor Chit to apply to renew my 5 year license and was told I need to go to the new Immigration centre at Muang Thong Thani to get a Certificate of Residence which is marked specifically that I am allowed to renew my licence to drive a car. Cert is now required to drive or buy a car or bike.

2. Went there with my passport and was told to come back with a copy of my 90-day report receipt, and photocopies of front passport page, visa page, and TM card. TiT - they have all that sat in the bloody computer in front of them!

3. Took all that back to them and was told to pay 200 baht for EMS. Asked about the EMS and she said they'd mail the Certificate to me. When I asked how long was told 3 weeks!! Wife checked with insurance company and they won't cover me if I have an accident because my license has expired 3 weeks ago.

4. Then I need to go back to Mor Chit to make an appointment to, presumably, do the full test again. I've held a licence here for 14 years so I'm amazed but not surprised that they're making us jump through these hoops.

On another note, an English mate who's lived here for years decided to change his UK license to a Thai license and went to Mor Chit. They no longer just swap them over as they used to when I got here in 2004. He had to do the usual eye and reflex tests, and then was booked to come back and do a FIVE HOUR exam, both practical and 100 multi-choice questions. The kicker was that because he's now 68, he was told his license would only be valid to drive in Bangkok province! Has anyone heard that before? I'm wondering whether someone at Mor Chit fed him some BS. He's given up and reckons it's just not worth it, no doubt their desired result.

• Like 1