renewal 5 year license in Phuket

sorry if this has already been discussed.... i have a 5 yr license which expired on my birthday 19th August 2020

i visited the transportation license office on the 19th august 2020 and was told cannot get appointment for about

2 months and yes to  book online person was not really helpful and didnt seem to care.

i tried the online apps but nothing will works.

i asked an agency for help and apart from 'it cost this much'  i am now told i have to do an online seminar or go to

rajchapat university then go to get a new car i assume license at transportation office...

as my license is now over 1 month expiry but i was told i could still drive until the appointment date and made payments 

and watched the silly video etc. 

has anyone else been instructed to do online seminar etc.. or maybe this is new since i have been to transportation office

to try and speed things up because they dont want lots of people in the same rooms together due covid.. ?

thanks 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please be aware that the police may not say or do anything if the license is expired. However, the insurance company will probably deny coverage in case of an accident.

In Bangkok you go there and make an appointment.  Can't speak for Phuket.

Everyone seems to believe you'r OK for up to a year after the expiry date. My expired licence was checked a couple of times by police whist I was touring Isaan with no questions asked.   I f

You're not alone.  My licence expired at the end of August and my appointment to renew it is 24 December.   Just continue with the expired one, and produce the yellow appointment slip if required to.

1 hour ago, Antifreeze said:

My car license expires in two weeks. Am I supposed to go there and be turned back. 

I don't quite understand the process. 

• Like 2

Everyone seems to believe you'r OK for up to a year after the expiry date. My expired licence was checked a couple of times by police whist I was touring Isaan with no questions asked.

I found out you need to hand in the documents when you make the appointment, including the residence certificate. I was going to get this last week but Immigration was a zoo for obvious reasons so I will wait until next month. My licence expired in May.

• Like 2

thanks comments and replies appreciated. funny had lunch with 2 mates here in phuket yesterday and we discussed this, 

one license expired 9th august he got appointment booked for 15th october another expired end august he got an appointment 25th September strange. anyway i will venture down again on monday and see what response i get again this time. in the meantime i also carry my international license and my australian license both currently valid. 

so no one has heard about doing the online seminar or similar at the university here in phuket i mentioned seems strange also.... my 2 mates also yesterday were never advised of this ...

On 9/26/2020 at 12:55 PM, beechbum said:

Renewed my licenses just after they reopened, had a week between showing them all my paperwork and doing the renewal tests and video.

Reopened after what?  xmas?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

same for Pattaya 

• Like 1

AS OFF Sep2020

So it seems like this topic has still not been concluded into any sort of resolution..  

What needs to be considered and remembered is there are no real rules and even when there is supposed to be then they are not followed and

changed and so on .... the stories are endless, showing this fact again and again across every topic ... trying to clear the muddled confusion from entities

( Father, forgeue them, for they wote not what they do.... (or do they?))

like 3 year olds trying to work out what color candy belongs to whom...

Anyway, the best we can do I think is gather the latest info from the good members here, taking their time to be helpful adding their experience....

I am sure we are all grateful....

So to sum it up and please comment/add/repost if you know better  (Please add date of your experience):

Latest I hear are appointments, beyond the usual go all the way there to make an appointment for another day… (sure a lot of invalid info here):

1/ Some say need, some not

2/ Another video?  And somewhere else? For which topic?

3/ Told onsite they need go an make an appointment online (app doesn’t work)

Even “you need to buy a new car”

PHUKET 

Topic 1 :  FIRST TIME LICENCE WITHOUT USING YOUR OLD NON THAI LICENCE:

1/ Medical certificate THB 100 issued at most places medical.

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted)

3/ Passport copies: The usual (Not myself too much, but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything, (and a charged phone/battery pack, with unlimited data  a bottle of water and a packed lunch, although you will have plenty

of time for the revered lunch break (stop laughing!))

4/ See the movie

5/ Do the Green go / Red stop test

6/ Drive/Ride around the track

4/ A car or bike (bikes can be rented for THB 100 onsite for testing)

Topic 2  FROM THE ONE YEAR TO THE 5 YEAR LICENCE:

1/ Medical certificate THB 100 issued at most places medical.

2/ Proof of residence: a/ Certificate from Immigration b/ Yellow or Blue book (This seems not to be accepted) And nobody knows what your address on the back of any of the issued licenses

are for as nobody cares, thus you need the immigration certificate of residence with your lovely photo on it.

3/ The usual (Not myself but have heard of issues with not having the “needed copy” thus I carry around to all of these places

A large bag with original and 2 copies of everything)

Topic 3  FROM THE 5 YEAR LICENCE TO A RENEWED 5 YEAR LICENCE:

Anyone?

Topic 4  LENGTH OF VAILITITY (how long the can expire for then be renewed without all the above again)

Topic 4  AGENT BROKERS : 

I checked out one and they started with the price f thousands so I quickly lost interest, however, some perhaps not in country and want to keep the licenses valid could possible use them.

Any information welcomed.

Just trying to clear it up a bit…

Happy motoring……

Edited by Seeall
add

I have a 2 year licence which expired in July but due to Covid the website for Land Transport still says "we are not open" even though they have been open for some time.

I went to District 1 office and the guy was less than helpful but the gist is I need another medical certificate. I handed him-passport and WP but need a medical as well and no appointment until 4th November. One has to go to the office and book it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RawboneFunksta said:

I have a 2 year licence which expired in July but due to Covid the website for Land Transport still says "we are not open" even though they have been open for some time.

I went to District 1 office and the guy was less than helpful but the gist is I need another medical certificate. I handed him-passport and WP but need a medical as well and no appointment until 4th November. One has to go to the office and book it. 

I think its old and valid news we need go there to book (like in cave man days) then I read the post about they were told to go and book online (which suprise.. did not work) .  so more info on this book online would be nice..  at least we can try it, print out the error and show them when/if told that..