Governor blames topography for severe flooding in Bangkok

webfact

57 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

Maybe it's time to call the Dutch engineers to manage the water, just like in 2011.....

Yeah.  Bring in the Dutch.  They started building their water management systems over 1000 years ago.  But I'm afraid BKK doesn't have that long...  And Thailand doesn't have that much money.

Anyone thinking this is a Thai specific problem, do a Goggle search for Beta and Houston.

Edited by impulse

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah.  Bring in the Dutch.  They started building their water management systems over 1000 years ago.  But I'm afraid BKK doesn't have that long...  And Thailand doesn't have that much money.

Anyone thinking this is a Thai specific problem, do a Goggle search for Beta and Houston.

Thailand has loads of money, that is why the THB is so high.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, trucking said:

In 1979 I arrived in Bangkok. A week later I had to wade in water just below my knee to my apartment in soi 22 Sukhumvit. Only way to get there as there were no talks or tuk tuks.

Not much progress in 40 years.

Well yes...finally they figured out why after 40 years. ????

I thought I read on the news that they well prepared for the storm in advance...????

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor said the junction had a unique topography like a basin, leading to water logging during rains and causing major flooding.

Yup, water runs downhill, always has and always will, keep building more condos and shopping malls, concrete everything, but never increase infrastructure such as drainage.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, trucking said:

In 1979 I arrived in Bangkok. A week later I had to wade in water just below my knee to my apartment in soi 22 Sukhumvit. Only way to get there as there were no talks or tuk tuks.

Not much progress in 40 years.

Tons of progress, don't be ridiculous.

Throw down the volume of rain that fell that night anywhere and see how it copes.  Generally the floods drain away pretty quickly these days, often within an hour or so of the rain stopping.

5 hours ago, connda said:

How many decades has this been happening, and every year it floods it's as though the government is seeing it for the first time. 

As Bangkok is basically built on a river delta i would think 1000's of years and any suggestion it can be managed other than mitigated shows just how little understanding the authorities have.

King Rama 9 said "Bangkok is like a toilet without a flush".   Another time, he was talking to government officials about never building in the areas north of Bangkok, as every so often, it fills up and drains slowly.  The video of him speaking about this was aired several years ago during the big floods there.  Bangkok is about 4 meters above sea level, 25 km away.  Ayutthaya is 7 meters above sea level 90  km away .  Singburi is 17 meters above sea level, 150 km away.    Water simply does not drain. 

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Bangkok is close to the ocean and is mostly pancake flat, so floods

happen. Especially with so many khlongs covered over and filled in, great

modern city planning. Good Luck Bangkok, the future is not

going to be any better

Geezer

You have to remember Thailand is flat, the grade down from Chiang Mai to bangkok is what about 200 to 300 feet over a 400 mile distance. Not draing very fast