Why do they say is 14 day quarantine when its not?

Taco

You raise a good point, Taco. This is another example of bureaucratic fuzziness, one of several actually, in the guidelines for entry. I had booked a hotel for ASQ quarantine for 13 nights while assuming that entering on the first day and leaving on the last day would total the 14 days. Didn't matter anyway as I was denied entry, but still it would help others who are applying to get in to have access to clearer guidelines.

I think the issue is with counting and the meaning of 14 days. A medical quarantine should be 14 full 24 days, in which case you must stay in quarantine overnight 14 times.

To see this, simply stay anywhere for one full 24 hour period. No matter what time you start you must stay overnight. Even if you check in at midnight you will leave midnight the next day.

They are still wrong for not explaining it clearly. Even the hotel should be aware of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

They are still wrong for not explaining it clearly. Even the hotel should be aware of this.

Every hotel has a brochure/flyer detailing the package and I think I've only seen one that didn't refer to 15 nights.  Here's one such example:

image.png.0281203001c7cf205f5c2f1c1d166042.png

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, treetops said:

Every hotel has a brochure/flyer detailing the package and I think I've only seen one that didn't refer to 15 nights.  Here's one such example:

image.png.0281203001c7cf205f5c2f1c1d166042.png

I see that, though the Ministry of Public Health says 14 days. 

Many but not all of these 69 ASQs  advertise 15 night stays but one even says you can get the quarantine certificate on day 14. 

• Obtaining official COVID-19 free certificate on day 14

Several advertise 14 nights and others don't mention the duration. The 15 nights seems to be a marketing come on to take advantage of the uninformed.  Even if I had paid for 15 nights I would argue for the certificate on day 14. Then you can at least go out.

• Like 1

For the same reason they make traffic laws and then don't enforce them. Red lights are optional. Making a U-turn where it is posted no U-turn is NEVER enforced. Driving a motor bike against the flow of traffic is very common. And no one is ever given a traffic ticket for a moving violation. And on and on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Its laziness combined with kreang-jai when preparing the official documents.

No one cares to correct the ambiguity and those who might don’t want to correct those who’ve stated 14 days. 

What they actually mean is 14 nights - being specific and accurate is not a strong point here. 

When the minor error is spotted by someone they’re likely to be accused of ’thinking too much’ 

I went to ASQ in July - I was well aware it was 14 nights, 15 days and that arrival day was counted as day zero. 

I was caught out by Pre-flight Covid-19 testing:

Policy is that a Covid-19 PCR test must be taken prior to departure from your home country, along with a Free to Fly certificate.

I took the Covid-19 PCR test less than 72hrs before departure (and received Covid-19 Free and Fit to Fly certificates).

Upon arrival at ASQ I was charged 5950baht for another Covid-19 test as my ‘pre-flight’ test was no longer within 72 hrs. I also had a Covid-19 test on day 6 and day 12 of ASQ. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its laziness combined with kreang-jai when preparing the official documents.

No one cares to correct the ambiguity and those who might don’t want to correct those who’ve stated 14 days. 

What they actually mean is 14 nights - being specific and accurate is not a strong point here. 

When the minor error is spotted by someone they’re likely to be accused of ’thinking too much’ 

I went to ASQ in July - I was well aware it was 14 nights, 15 days and that arrival day was counted as day zero. 

I was caught out by Pre-flight Covid-19 testing:

Policy is that a Covid-19 PCR test must be taken prior to departure from your home country, along with a Free to Fly certificate.

I took the Covid-19 PCR test less than 72hrs before departure (and received Covid-19 Free and Fit to Fly certificates).

Upon arrival at ASQ I was charged 5950baht for another Covid-19 test as my ‘pre-flight’ test was no longer within 72 hrs. I also had a Covid-19 test on day 6 and day 12 of ASQ. 

So hold on, the ASQ charged you for a Covid test because your test was more than 72 hours old on arrival at the ASQ? Since the flight can be anything from 12 to 30 hours (depending on the route) that would make it impossible for anyone to get a CoE because there would not be enough time to get a result report on the covid test in order to get th CoE and flight. Also, from what Ive seen all the gumf on this stuff clearly states 72 hours before flying, not before arrival in the Kingdom. If it were me I'd be calling around for a lawyer right now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It is the same confusion people never understands about visas and visa exemptions. For example 30 days entry. They count the day you land as day 1.. So effective you loose one as you enter. Thats why people do not understand that you have to count 1.2.3.4.. from the day you start, aaaand keep in mind how many days there are in the month. It is NOT a month you get... Easy enough when you get used to it.

8 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

So hold on, the ASQ charged you for a Covid test because your test was more than 72 hours old on arrival at the ASQ? Since the flight can be anything from 12 to 30 hours (depending on the route) that would make it impossible for anyone to get a CoE because there would not be enough time to get a result report on the covid test in order to get th CoE and flight. Also, from what Ive seen all the gumf on this stuff clearly states 72 hours before flying, not before arrival in the Kingdom. If it were me I'd be calling around for a lawyer right now. 

LOL - really? you'd be calling a lawyer over a approx $200 CV test, good luck with that....

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:
1 hour ago, impulse said:

Then why is Immigration calling it a 14 day quarantine?

it's 14 days and 15 nights, as has been mentioned on this thread ( and others ) that have done the ASQ quarantine.

Not the poster I was responding to...  He claimed it was 16 days and 15 nights.

That's where the confusion comes in.

12 hours ago, Kurtf said:

For the same reason they make traffic laws and then don't enforce them. Red lights are optional. Making a U-turn where it is posted no U-turn is NEVER enforced. Driving a motor bike against the flow of traffic is very common. And no one is ever given a traffic ticket for a moving violation. And on and on.

Rarely. Sometimes these things are enforced, but so rarely as not to be a concern to most motorists. 

58 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not the poster I was responding to...  He claimed it was 16 days and 15 nights.

That's where the confusion comes in.

I'll give you my theory - there may be others.

Arrive 1st of the month we would expect 14 days to completed on the 15th, exactly two weeks later.  If we say midday arriving and leaving, then you'll have been there 14 days and 14 nights, to our western way of thinking.  Hotels would call that 15 days and 14 nights even though the first and last are half days.

Now in immigration speak the first day is day zero, so immediately you're up to 15 days and 15 nights to reach "our" 14, or 16 days and 15 nights to reach it in hotel speak.

Edited by treetops

On 9/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, flinc2020 said:

You would call a Lawyer for THB 5950 baht ????

And, yes - by the time I arrived on a 12 hr flight at lunch time (4 days after taking the Covid-19 test) my Covid-19 test was older than 72 hrs. 

When you book and apply for the ASQ you have to go through an online process / questionnaire - part of that questionnaire includes a section in which you agree to provide a Covid-19 Negative test result within 72 hrs of arrival at ASQ. 

I wasn’t happy about it, but I was clearly shown my ASQ application where I’d checked the box and agreed such, it was something I and many others have glanced over. 

It's just another set of people imposing their own regulations on an already excessive set of existing regulations. I wasn’t very happy about it. 

On 9/27/2020 at 9:56 AM, Heng said:

Do they allow you to pick the quarantine hotel?   (one would assume so since you're paying for it).  If so, how do reservations work if you're planning a trip (outbound from Thailand)?

Non Thai’s have to book their own Alternate State Quarantine hotel (from a list of about 40).

The reservation works by contacting the hotel, asking if they have availability on a certain date. If they do, you agree, they send you a link to an online portal where you agree to certain stipulations etc and pay a deposit - the hotel then sends you a booking confirmation. 

On 9/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, jimn said:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 = 15 days

Not quite, it's got to be 15 nights and 16 days as per all the hotels literature and your previous posts.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Non Thai’s have to book their own Alternate State Quarantine hotel (from a list of about 40).

There's over 70 now.