Repatriation of the 850,000 deposit

Hi guys,

As I have been locked out of Thailand for about 6 months and I suppose I will come back when the situation gets a little better,  I am seriously thinking about repatriating my equivalent to 850,000 baht deposit standing there idle with no immediate use. I transferred this amount from Europe in euros into a euro foreign currency account in Bangkok Bank, when I got my first yearly retirement extension 2 years ago. Anybody  transferred or thinking to get his deposit back home ? Any problems with that ?

Many thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Barry864 said:

I have internet banking, yes. But trying to do that I am getting a message that my status is shown as a resident without a work permit and they advise me to go to a bank branch. I transferred all this money from abroad to Thailand and now it seems I cannot send it back

If you still have proof of the transfer in, you are allowed to transfer the money out. But it could be tricky or even impossible to arrange that without being able to visit a branch.

I'd start with calling them. So far I've always been happy with their service when calling their call center. Hopefully someone with experience in the matter can give you better advice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

If you have an ATM card you can take it out bit by bit in your home country, not a great exchange rate though

The ATM card they issue is only for a baht account. In order to do that I need to :

1) exchange euros to baht and deposit it to the baht account (done with internet banking)

2) then at the point of withdrawal in Europe exchange for the 2nd time , now baht to euros

I think with this way a good percentage will be lost

4 hours ago, Barry864 said:

The ATM card they issue is only for a baht account. In order to do that I need to :

1) exchange euros to baht and deposit it to the baht account (done with internet banking)

2) then at the point of withdrawal in Europe exchange for the 2nd time , now baht to euros

I think with this way a good percentage will be lost

You are correct, but I can see no other way, unless you have someone in Thailand you can trust with this larger sum of money.  

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you still have proof of the transfer in, you are allowed to transfer the money out. But it could be tricky or even impossible to arrange that without being able to visit a branch.

And make sure you do it while you're still on a long term visa status.  After my WP expired and I went on a non-resident visa status (visa exempt), I was not allowed to transfer money from my Thai bank account.  This in spite of proof that all the funds came into the account while I was paying Thai income taxes.

Edited by impulse

13 hours ago, Barry864 said:

I am getting a message that my status is shown as a resident without a work permit and they advise me to go to a bank branch.

When I opened a similar account with Bangkok Bank they accepted my Retirement Visa and said as I am retired obviously I would not have a work permit. But then, this being Thailand, I may have gotten the only one in the bank who had any common sense!

Also, I just love banks who respond to enquiries from abroad by telling you to visit your local branch.... when there isn't one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

I am outside Thailand now. I have given my wife the pin number of the ATM card and told her to spend the retirement extension money wisely, as she needs it.

My Thai lady signed as a guarantor when I opened my bank account at Bangkok bank, so they have my signature. 

You can transfer money (even big sums) from Bangkok Bank to the West. I would ask my Thai lady to get a transfer form from Bangkok Bank, fill in all details, and then sign it on my behalf. 

Not sure if all banks appreciate this kind of workaround, but I would try. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

IMO no one else can do anything for you in Thailand regarding a currency account since it is not a joint account (and ATM won't work on a currency account). Transfers have to be done from bank branch (perhaps you need to do transfers to abroad from the original branch that you opened the account, not sure about this). 

36 minutes ago, The Theory said:

IMO no one else can do anything for you in Thailand regarding a currency account since it is not a joint account (and ATM won't work on a currency account). Transfers have to be done from bank branch (perhaps you need to do transfers to abroad from the original branch that you opened the account, not sure about this). 

Like I said. 

Ask if his gf can do it from Thailand. Should be the original or the main branch of the bank. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

I'd start with calling them. So far I've always been happy with their service when calling their call center. Hopefully someone with experience in the matter can give you better advice.

Their service?  who?

6 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

if you think of coming back, why not leave it in a thai bank ?

cost of repatriation of the money x 2 ... if Euro/dollar goes up/down in the next...

He probably wants to get a decent interest rate..