passport old to new

32 minutes ago, KhunG said:

Do they transfer your landing card so you can still do 90 reports online?  My passport expires next year.

The TM-6 (Arrival/Departure Card), the TM-30 (Notification of Residence), and any 90-Day Report receipt papers can be physically moved over by the IO or by you into your new passport once the stamps are 'transferred'. The same TM-6 Departure Card portion (and its number) stays with you until you exit the country.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The TM-6 (Arrival/Departure Card), the TM-30 (Notification of Residence), and any 90-Day Report receipt papers can be physically moved over by the IO or by you into your new passport once the stamps are 'transferred'. The same TM-6 Departure Card portion (and its number) stays with you until you exit the country.

Thank you.

The Canadian Embassy doesn't issue a letter asking for the stamps to be transferred. I specifically asked and they said no, they put a stamp in the old passport showing it was cancelled "and that should be good enough".

I will print out the Transfer Stamp request and see if the Embassy will stamp it at least. Would be a real annoyance if they say no and I have to go back to the Embassy again.

27 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

not wanting to hijack the post, but how long do you have , to transfer the stamp to your new passport ?

There is not written minimum time to do it. But best to get it done so you do not have to have 2 passports with you when you need to dc something.

27 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I guess you only get an extension to the expire date of your passport, right ?

That is correct.

I switched passports last week at Pattaya. I went to the office first and asked if I needed to and they said only if I needed an extension. If I was just leaving by the airport don't bother. I had no letter from the Australian embassy but they stamped the old one saying it had been replaced and I wrote in the new number. Chonburi Immigration did the changeover in about 10 minutes. No questions, no fees.

I got a new Canadian passport in June, using the BKK Embassy. All that happened was that they sent the new and old passports and then I went to Phuket Immigration and all the key info got moved to my new passport- original entry date plus my O visa. All the paper stuff got stapled to my new passport. Make sure to ask for your old passport to be sent back and double check while at Immigration that everything was moved from old to new passports. Quite easy actually.

You do not necessarily have to go to "your" immigration office even though in most cases it's probably a good idea.

First time I had to do this was about 5 years ago. At the time KK Immigration told me that there would be no need for any transfer as I should just make sure to present both passports old and new when I do my next border run...

Not really sure what I should make of this I hopped into Nong Khai immigration before I crossed the border to Laos, asking some nice immigration lady if what KK immigration told me was correct. Of course it wasn't and she told a colleague to handle my case. As he checked the time and pointed out that it's almost time for the lunch break and I should come back in an hour or so the lady told him to get lost and she would handle it herself - which she did. She was really nice and the whole process took less than 15 minutes. The transfer into the new passport was free of charge and she asked for the letter from the embassy (German embassy in my case) which at the time was included in the charge for the new passport. So all was good.

A few weeks ago I got a new passport again because the old one only had 2 more free pages left and I went to KK immigration. This time they transferred accordingly and charged me 200 THB for it. The letter from the embassy is not included anymore. They ask you if you want one and then charge you 25 Euro extra for it. What can I say - the IO didn't even ask for it this time...

7 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Just curious... about 8 years ago when I changed pports I had to go to CW even if my immi was i  rayong. When did this change? 

It has been the same for much longer than 8 years. You can have your stamps transferred at your local immigration office.

• Thanks 1

I transferred my extension from my old passport to my new one 2 weeks ago. I had to queue up in the section for my type of extension and wait as if I was renewing. All they cared about was the letter from my embassy and the application form. I had copies of my visa and stamps, etc, but neither the first lady I dealt with, nor the second one seemed to check them for detail. 

I got a ticket at 9.30 thinking it would be quick. I got out at 13:30. The process is free.