Validity of Thai Passports

My Thai wife always renews her Thai passport at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok. She does this whenever we go back for a holiday. It's a quick, efficient and cheap service. Everytime she renews she also gets her old passport returned to her. The old passport still has some time left on it. The new passport starts from the date of application/issue and has a completely new number. There is nothing that I can see to say that the old passport is cancelled - no stamp, no writing, no cut-out corners etc.

So therefore it would seem that she has 2 valid Thai passports.

Anyone have any comments about this. Thanks.

Thanks Pontious. Interesting, I didn't know they were going to issue 10 year ones. Just googled it and apparently they started issuing 10 year ones last year.

I take your point that only the new one would be valid but how would other countries (e.g. UK Home Office) know that an "old" one wasn't valid?

13 minutes ago, durhamboy said:

I take your point that only the new one would be valid but how would other countries (e.g. UK Home Office) know that an "old" one wasn't valid?

One can usually only have one active passport at the time, so that makes using the old one fraud potentially. Should be showing up in the International shared databases too as far I know.

The new ones have 10 years, I can confirm, we were a few months too early for my son his passport and that one is still only 5 years.

Have fun when you google for introduction of the 10 year passport.

mid 2020, July, August, September, near future :biggrin:

The widely distributed news is from July 9.

Obviously (from this post) it still is has not introduced regularly.

I bet Covid is a good excuse.

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

One can usually only have one active passport at the time, so that makes using the old one fraud potentially. Should be showing up in the International shared databases too as far I know.

The new ones have 10 years, I can confirm, we were a few months too early for my son his passport and that one is still only 5 years.

Thanks ChaiyaTH, do you really think that Thailand and the UK both share and use an international database? Personally I doubt it but you might well be right.

Archived