Disgusted by state of Thailand’s seas, minister orders agencies to take immediate action

snoop1130

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

I totally understand where you are coming from. And wouldn't defend the actions of dumping or burning etc. But can you tell me what the weekly rubbish collection by the authorities is like. I ask as in my in laws village that all do the same as you mentioned, but there is absolutely no centralised or regular collection of rubbish so they are all left to get rid of it by themselves and most of them as you have observed do this badly. Perhaps some investment and regular collection of rubbish is needed.

They come regularly and are  quite  good BUT  oh my lord   they have to pay something like 40  baht a month for it, cheaper to burn for many, rubbish  collected once  a  week, they even provide free  bins some will even burn their  rubbish next to the  rubbish  bins

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, djayz said:

I agree with and see everything you wrote, but if it gets to the point that this makes you feel such contempt for them, then you might want to consider moving to a different country. Either that, or learning to block it out. People like you and me aren't going to change 60+ million people's attitude and upbringing (or lack thereof). Enjoy life and look at the positive side too. Don't let the negative stuff eat you up. 

I  dont, I certainly dont waste my energy with the  bunch of local losers I let them fester in their <deleted>  conditions where they can whinge and moan and believe me they do about anything, not their  fault, everyone else  causes the problem but not them, on no sireee????????

Edited by bodga

I hope something comes out of this.  Its sad seeing the fishing boats pulling out after a night on the go just as the dive boats pull in for a scuba at sail rock Koh Tao/Koh Phangan.

Its bottom up.  Big fish need food.  The worst offenders are the big ching chang boats that use 1/2 cm nets to scoop up the tiny ching chang and everything else.  It something to see.  They drag the big nets up and take the fish straight out of the water and drop the whole load into super salted boiling water on the back of the boat.  From swimming to cooked in seconds.  

To keep the fisherman off their backs any local fisherman who pull up on a boat they will give a bucket of uncooked ching chang for free to be used for bait.  Its bad.  They go back and forth between the channels of Samui and Phangan and all around Anthong Marine parks and that just within my sight. 

Edited by Taco

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I shudder to think of trash cleanup being done in the waters of the Andaman sea by Thailand without some assistance from someone who can ensure no more damage is done.  However, Thailand will hire all the divers it can find, put them in a line and have them swim in quadrants to pick up the trash, and of course only pay them 300 baht per day.

Surely this is a tourist attraction, come to Thailand and clean up our sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

I totally understand where you are coming from. And wouldn't defend the actions of dumping or burning etc. But can you tell me what the weekly rubbish collection by the authorities is like. I ask as in my in laws village that all do the same as you mentioned, but there is absolutely no centralised or regular collection of rubbish so they are all left to get rid of it by themselves and most of them as you have observed do this badly. Perhaps some investment and regular collection of rubbish is needed.

There are regular collections of rubbish in Pattaya. And there are also signs on Beach Road saying it is mandatory to use bins, and mandatory not to smoke on the beach. Those signs even in English. 

About time!

If cleanup is done in collaborstion with divecenters etc. It will be good and when cleanup is done look at how cuba has been protecting their marinelife. Think what you want about Fidel but he was an avid scuba diver and because of that the water and marine life was highly protected.

And its not difficult for dive centers to give instructions to their divers. This zone no underwaterphotography with flash as it damages corals. In these areas dont touch anything. Breaking corals come with hefty fines. Dont take up anything unless its garbage etc. The marine environments can be maintained and preserved. Around the islands alot of corals are not damaged by fishing alone but also by all boat taxis that go straight over them braking corals with the boats and especially their propellers.

Edited by Evolare

50 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Sorry but the Thai gov is to blame as their inability to implement pro active progressive programs to manage human behavior in the environment...

this knee jerk reaction of fake punishment is all image but does nothing to improve environmental protection and more importantly change human behavior...

too damn lazy to manage an effective comprehensive program...

Send a qualified person to see how Malaysia manages the Sipidan area, top class management, fixed anchorages for multiple dive boats, dedicated fee collector funds the management of the area and he picks up any garbage from the Chinese who don't give a f#£k

Limited number of daily divers, you need to buy a permit for any day and well managed. 

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

This guy just actually may be one of the good ones. I hope I am right, his dad was a powerhouse for sure.

A powerhouse ???? translated in to clear English, he had a PHD in mastering corruption. By the way he did his Ba (they changed the law) but the work was done by a ghost writer ???? Yet again a member of the same old political families that are running the country for more than 40 years. Actually what he is telling is "my dad did a very bad job when he was a prime minister.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

My Thai relatives in Bangkok are all very concious of garbage, they have people who

come by to collect bottles and cans as well as cardboard. In Nong Khai

the place was very clean. Around Kanchanaburi I noticed that most people

near my relatives were good about burning their combustables and I did not

see too much garbage at least on the roads where I travelled.  In Hua Hin though

there were some sois in the city where some low lifes threw their garbage. However in the

country sides near Hua Hin conditions were better.  Even in Canada there are lazy

people who do not use the land fills, and throw their garbage along some dead end

roads.  There are low lifes all over the world, who do this, not just in Thailand.

Geezer

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

In my village years ago we separated all rubbish and took it to a re cycle lady in the town, she PAID for all you took. she weighed all items and paid by the kilo

• Like 1

In 1994 in Rayong, one evening about 18h00 after work went for a swim in the sea. Came out of the water and noticed my body covered in black oil/tar splotches. That was the first and last time I have swum the sea in Thailand and never will never again.

Edited by userabcd