Disgusted by state of Thailand’s seas, minister orders agencies to take immediate action

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Disgusted by state of Thailand’s seas, minister orders agencies to take immediate action

If the minister is disgusted by the state of the ocean, what does he think about the state of the land?

Thai people have no respect for their environment so cleaning up doesn't matter much if the people that pollute don't change their ways.

Educating people would be a good start but most people won't change without incentives. Maybe sentence pulluters to community service or levy fines but who will enforce this - the police? Ain't happening.

This guy is the Minister responsible for keeping the seas clean and protecting the environment.

And he goes to the coast one day and sees a load of garbage and is disgusted.

So he orders an immediate clean up by the agencies that he is responsible for, and has been responsible for for a long time.

It's like a children's story. Something a 5 year old could understand. Are there any grown-ups in Thailand? Has this guy been sleeping for the last 50 years? 

And will ordering an immediate clean up achieve anything. If the Minister and agencies responsible don't have the first idea of what that involves.

• Like 1

We are talking here about several reasons why the sea is full of trash, Corals are destroyed manually/by human, chemically and by raising water temperature. Minister Varawut Silpa-archa gave a very new guide line for Thai Sea law and that is good and first time real punishment for perpetrators. But he is a very lonely guy seen to ministers for economy, tourimen and Fishery  and the power they have. In the industrial sector for years serious honest environmental officers lost their jobs for damning wastewater management by big companies because the government covered the easy /cheap way for the fame of an industry friendly country. Tourism and most important Chinese guests are highly valued but hardly left a Bhat in a local restaurant or shop. But still by Government highly welcome, who is involved to make the Thai bucks?    Big ships like my husband as a captain worked on have to have a detailed waste Logbook from machine oil to plastic water bottles and any possible waste what has to be discharged in the the next appropriate harbour, all registered in the Logbook. Since years Thai and Foreign/Thai registered owned established Diving companies complain about Korean and Chinese managed Diving/snorkeling companies, most of them untouchable because in the the paperworks a very important Thai is a shareholder and winner. 

And now the last but most important point: the total lack of any, even the smallest, responsibility Thai people feel or act on. Our longboat captain through his plastic bottles and any trash overboard to have a clean ship. 

Picnic at the beach brought in in plastic bags cannot again collected and be brought to the next container? In England/some parts of Europe it's the same problem Even worse in Nai Harn/Phuket a beloved place for teenagers as well at night where trash bins are all two branches placed, they through is around but not in. I lived for 4 years in Country Home/Chalong years ago and was discussed by the mess the small daily garbage collector did. They throughout everything stinky on the streets to catch glass, metal and good plastic to sell to the recycle place to make maybe 50-100 baht. So I invented the 2 Garbage cans in front of my house, one stinky and one recycle bin, soon my street neighbors followed and a year later the whole settlement was in it. Then I moved but my new French neighbor and his Thai wife never understood the system, but our very old fashioned Thai neighbor was the first adopting the two bin system. So to all "boah Thai are bad" yellers but we are living here (do not forget it was your free choice) = be better, educate softly, give good examples or shut up! I left Thailand for healthy reasons, as well our main countries of work in became again in Europe and Middle East and as well I was sick of the yearly paper wars. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I shudder to think of trash cleanup being done in the waters of the Andaman sea by Thailand without some assistance from someone who can ensure no more damage is done.  However, Thailand will hire all the divers it can find, put them in a line and have them swim in quadrants to pick up the trash, and of course only pay them 300 baht per day.

That's not a bad plan...... better than paying some puffed up self important foreigners whom will want to charge some over inflated price to achieve the same thing..... really pull your negative connotations out and try being a little more positive in your outlook....you come across as a miserable ba'tard..... go back to where you came from and take a good look at practises there,.... they are not so good if you want to cast the same jaundiced eye in judgement

Thai government don’t want change anything , I live near the sea and there are no bins in a  7 kilometer stretch, I carry my rubbish home but thais leave in where they like , I even see them emptying buckets in the sea . The schools say from Monday everyone must put helmet to go in school but when Monday comes no one has listened ,teachers included , the police have check points ,take money from you for no helmet the get on motorbikes and ride of with no helmets ,they have no ability to change things as long as they can get money , money is all , they sell their daughters into prostitution for money 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

If the minister is disgusted by the state of the ocean, what does he think about the state of the land?

Thai people have no respect for their environment so cleaning up doesn't matter much if the people that pollute don't change their ways.

Educating people would be a good start but most people won't change without incentives. Maybe sentence pulluters to community service or levy fines but who will enforce this - the police? Ain't happening.

They do clean up. Here in Pattaya they do. In Pattaya Beach they even cleaned the ocean. 

Just burning garbage is still a problem. But Thais now use the fires for their woks. 

When the grass is cut by the side of the roads you can see the mass of garbage that gets covered up by the grass , why don’t they have someone follow them and pick it up ? Can’t be bothered , why don’t they put more bins ? Can’t be bothered , only clean a bit on special days 

4 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

Thai government don’t want change anything , I live near the sea and there are no bins in a  7 kilometer stretch, I carry my rubbish home but thais leave in where they like , I even see them emptying buckets in the sea . The schools say from Monday everyone must put helmet to go in school but when Monday comes no one has listened ,teachers included , the police have check points ,take money from you for no helmet the get on motorbikes and ride of with no helmets ,they have no ability to change things as long as they can get money , money is all , they sell their daughters into prostitution for money 

Should they lock up the school kids so they can't go to school? Do you do this in the West? 

How come every issue ends up with prostitution here? Any idea how many kids are sold for sex in the West? 

5 minutes ago, micmichd said:

They do clean up. Here in Pattaya they do. In Pattaya Beach they even cleaned the ocean. 

Just burning garbage is still a problem. But Thais now use the fires for their woks. 

Most stupid response of the week, a clean ocean gives a clean beach a clean beach does not mean the ocean is clean.

9 minutes ago, elliworld said:

Most stupid response of the week, a clean ocean gives a clean beach a clean beach does not mean the ocean is clean.

It's a start. Even Rome wasn't build in one day. 

Most trash in the oceans used to come from foreign-flagged boats. I hope they'll find a way to ban this soon. 

Anyway, they have Greenpeace in Thailand, too. And they have a powerful navy. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Haha 1

Sadly there will be minimal effectiveness until by some magical process the mindset of Thai is changed to personal responsibility about "littering" as only one of many social issues.

By far the most damage is not done by those at sea but by those on the land.

The plastic  waste that  enters the water is efficiently plastic wrapping the ocean floor including the reefs.

First time I fully agree the seas around Thailand are full of plastic rubbish. You don't have to go diving to realise this just look at the beaches after stormy seas when you will see so much trash has been washed up it is sometimes difficult to walk along the beach. Now is a great opportunity to start a clean up with so many people unemployed.

43 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Yes but a few kilometres out of Pattaya the fishermen just empty  their rubbish in the sea and it comes back again

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, micmichd said:

It's a start

Cleanup is a doomed strategy. It is impossible to clean up the oceans until the dumping of garbage stops. Every year more garbage than ever before gets dumped in. Don't waste your energy on cleanup that is doomed to fail. All energies should be to stop the polluters. There is going to be another 14 billion pounds of trash dumped in the oceans next year. If you want to make a difference, that is where you start.

37 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Most trash in the oceans used to come from foreign-flagged boats.

Thailand is the 6th most ocean polluting nation in the world. That is bad in itself, but worse considering how small Thailand is to be so high up on this list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

In 1994 in Rayong, one evening about 18h00 after work went for a swim in the sea. Came out of the water and noticed my body covered in black oil/tar splotches. That was the first and last time I have swum the sea in Thailand and never will never again.

Wow.  Just wow.  There was an oil spill in Chonburi in 1994 after two ships collided and because of that you have never, and will never, go in the sea in Thailand.  

Amazing.

I assume some bad experience with getting newsprint on your fingers in your childhood meant you vowed to never again touch or read a newspaper for as long as you live.  Otherwise you would have read the news about the oil spill and not gone swimming.  

What a strange post.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The minister said Thailand initially had close to 149,000 rai of coral reefs, but now only 5.7 per cent of them are alive. The rest have been destroyed by humans.

Thailands sustainable fishing & tourism.... disgusting.

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Should they lock up the school kids so they can't go to school? Do you do this in the West? 

How come every issue ends up with prostitution here? Any idea how many kids are sold for sex in the West? 

Children are the future , if they can’t be bothered to educate the children they ain’t going to change anything , the prostitution comment is to show what Thais care about ,which is money first , not children

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

I totally understand where you are coming from. And wouldn't defend the actions of dumping or burning etc. But can you tell me what the weekly rubbish collection by the authorities is like. I ask as in my in laws village that all do the same as you mentioned, but there is absolutely no centralised or regular collection of rubbish so they are all left to get rid of it by themselves and most of them as you have observed do this badly. Perhaps some investment and regular collection of rubbish is needed.

Where I live, the Council, a few years ago the Council did a very good job of collecting the rubbish, and supplied big green wheelie bins at the side of the road where people could dump their garbage.

So what happened? Apparently there was a small charge  for service (50 baht a month?) and lots of Thais stopped paying it. (For the most part Thais are usually the property/ land owners) so what does the Council do - rather than add the charge on the the water or electric bills, which I thought was rather a good suggestion - they take a way the wheelie bins so now the rubbish is dumped at the side of the road, or down the side lanes! Brilliant Thai local Government logic! 

• Like 1

It’s like with most of the problems here , there is no enforcement , thailand needs a police force that actually does its job and a government for the people ,  teachers that teach ,  all a pipe dream  , we are lucky we can leave when we want but the Thais are stuck here to lay in their filth 

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

While I agree with your comments, I take care of my side of street and leave the others to do what they may. I can't control the mob, nor do I wish to.

try that on a  planet when everyone else  wont, can you block the air  on your side of the road too from  their burning