Disgusted by state of Thailand’s seas, minister orders agencies to take immediate action

snoop1130

21 hours ago, Accidental Tourist said:

This is the price you pay for MASS TOURISM...especially the Chinese. Plus the infrastructure is not in par with the development of hotels and other living quarters, which in those areas are all related to tourism.

It isn't.

And has absolutely nothing to do with mass tourism.

It is THE PRICE you PAY for a feudalistic society that does next to nothing without commands from above.

No commands about trash?Nothing done about trash..

My village (complete with blue bins) was an absolute hellhole for trash because those on high had never bothered to tell them to pick it up...so they hadn't.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

Take immediate action,clean Thailand seas, reminds me of a Tommy Cooper

catch line "Just like that"........

I think the minister has no idea what it would take to clean up,as fast as

it's taken out,others will be putting it back.

regards worgeordie

42 minutes ago, micmichd said:

You have certainly good ideas. But Thailand is not yet so rich, but it's certainly improving towards 21st century ecological standards. Here in Pattaya it certainly is, and in downtown Bangkok it's improving, too. 

Thailand is a rich country  the problem is most of those riches are kept by a very few people not shared around.

21st century ecological standards  in Pattaya ?   when there isn't even a functioning waste water treatment plant ?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

It isn't.

And has absolutely nothing to do with mass tourism.

It is THE PRICE you PAY for a feudalistic society that does next to nothing without commands from above.

No commands about trash?Nothing done about trash..

My village (complete with blue bins) was an absolute hellhole for trash because those on high had never bothered to tell them to pick it up...so they hadn't.

I'm in Pattaya Hillside, and right now the garbage and bottle collectors come to clean up all trash. While Thai ladies clean up the street.  Maybe because sustainability is one of the highest values in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

Major damage to coral reefs has be caused by natural phenomenons like too warm waters for too long time. However, dropping anchors from silly boat crews on corals or walking on them like the Chinese used to do, for sure does not help.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it.

Hey you said the same thing nearly word for word to one of my posts a few days ago.

are you cutting and pasting your replies ?

Or did The incompetent Army and government force you to answer in that matter ?

Back on topic, any effort made by the Government is better than nothing.

This is what we need, more politicians trying to change things.

I don't care if he is doing it for personal gain as long as there is a benefit.

They are reporting that there is a positive change in some areas due to lack of tourism maybe this will give them incentive to start to manage stuff instead of just letting people be unaccountable for their actions .

On 9/26/2020 at 1:27 AM, djayz said:

And this problem has passed his attention over the past how many years? 

yes typical Thai. talking about a problem of a leaking roof thats been leaking for years , and when the house is ankle deep in water, the owners say, "perhaps we should do something about that hole in the roof!"

On 9/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, holy cow cm said:

This guy just actually may be one of the good ones. I hope I am right, his dad was a powerhouse for sure.

A proactive Dive Company should be leading the way and offering all like minded politicians FREE dive trips !

Huge offenders in my beachside community on Phuket are the big Hotel developers who arrive claiming to be the villiages new best friend... dozens have done so this past 4 years.

None of them appear to have heard of erosion control or a 'run-off trap' , and they basically clear all the land and happily allow the soil to rush off down to the sea without a second thought. ( The new Himalai build is a huge offender ) . Its now September , the rainiest month , and the torquoise waters they promote so much are blood red , choking the reefs and any sort of sea life that is trying to exist on them.

Some sediment  pits and bales of hay would cost so little , and they well  know they have had to provide such in other countries , but here nobody forces them to do the right thing - so they dont. Klongs and sea all red and brown.

They also tout 'local employment' , but they pay  so low the locals wont participate , so they employ builders and support them to  import hundreds of Burmese labourers , then 'house' them in tin shanties on the hillside back blocks that never have any sewage or garbage services , and  those labourers are now , with the lack of work due to the downturn , wandering around penniless. They are the main participants in the food queues , provided NOT by the hotels that promise investors of so much profit  , but sympathetic locals and "Foreign"  owned/partnered restaurants ... Even our villiages Number One attraction ( possibly Phukets No 1 )  , that puts on buffets catering to thousands nightly and is building extensively , has never provided a free food queue here .

Further , these Burmese , living so close to poverty , are denuding nearby forests of small game and natural growth  in order to subsist !

And their waste certainly ends up in the klongs , evidenced by tiny packages of laundry soaps , bottles , styrofome noodle containers   and 'kanom' packaging ....and BROWN stinking water , draining to the Andaman.

There are Hotels out there , telling the world that they are taking care of the environment , 'from  inception , to 5 star delivery !'

Nothing could be further from the truth .

If it was , they would spend at least some lines  in their glossy promotions on the fact that they have water reticulation systems and a sewage treatment system , and NONE of them have because its simply not a Required Condition , so they will not spend a single baht on what they dont have to.

Once completed , they will aim to attract another 500 Thais from the poorer neighbouring provinces to this villiage  as service staff  , a villiage that has no sewerage system , a barely adequate garbage ( or electric !)  system , and if another crisis like Covid comes along ,  they will again sack them all and leave them to their own devices as they did this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

yes typical Thai. talking about a problem of a leaking roof thats been leaking for years , and when the house is ankle deep in water, the owners say, "perhaps we should do something about that hole in the roof!"

So to you and @djayz, how long has this guy been in his role?  

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So to you and @djayz, how long has this guy been in his role?  

What does that have to do with anything?

Surely you're not suggesting that only after a person has held a particular office for X number of years that he then becomes aware of the environmental problems around him? Only then is he allowed to voice his concerns and disgust? 

I voice my concerns and disgust at the state of the environment in this and neighbouring countries on a regular basis. Do you want to know how long I've been in my role? All my adult life and most of my childhood years. 

• Like 2

I volunteered in vietnam in a fishing village on pristine beach and 5 star resort next door.....every day more trash arrived..washed up....some from locals on the beach but MOST was from fishermen..easy to dump any and all at night when no once can see you...lots of noodle wrappers.....goes for trash burners at night   ????

6 hours ago, djayz said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Surely you're not suggesting that only after a person has held a particular office for X number of years that he then becomes aware of the environmental problems around him? Only then is he allowed to voice his concerns and disgust? 

I voice my concerns and disgust at the state of the environment in this and neighbouring countries on a regular basis. Do you want to know how long I've been in my role? All my adult life and most of my childhood years. 

You really missed the obvious point of my post, almost certainly deliberately.  Why do you think I was suggesting you had to be in a role a certain period before being allowed to voice any concerns?

You said:

"And this problem has passed his attention over the past how many years?"

....implying he has been in that role for several years doing nothing and has only now noticed the problem.  And I asked you how long has he been in the role (as you seem to know and it is obviously several years or more?).

TVF: the only place on the internet in which a positive story generates negativity, bitterness, and pointless unrelated moaning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

implying he has been in that role for several years doing nothing

I most certainly did not imply he had been in office all those years. It is, and has been for many years, known that the seas are polluted, coral reefs have been destroyed, forests illegally chopped down, rivers and canals contaminated, beaches spoilt, wild animals poached etc. etc. Why this man now all of a sudden realises this was the point I was originally trying to make. The state of the environment really shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who has been keeping abreast of the news over the years. Judging by the reactions to my comment, I'd say 25-26 other TV members understood my point perfectly well. It appears Joseph that you're the one who has missed the point.

20 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

TVF: the only place on the internet in which a positive story generates negativity, bitterness, and pointless unrelated moaning

There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticism, expressing an opinion or venting one's frustration. It's actually considered healthy. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticism, expressing an opinion or venting one's frustration. It's actually considered healthy. 

Yes, like I'm frustrated of the gas nation Germany (guess why?) And I'm frustrated by the use of toilet paper in Thailand. I'm also frustrated by the drunkards on Pattaya's roads. Not so frustrated about modern Japanese hybrid cars that are powered by electricity when you drive slowly. Not so frustrated about 7/11 when they remind me to put on my corona mask. Not so frustrated about temples where incense smoke for you. And not so frustrated when I see non-smoking Chinese Buddhists in Thai temples. 

Yes, I know, only time will tell. But actually Thailand is on a good way. And Farangs' money is spent to solve environmental issues, too. 

Edited by micmichd

There is a danger that a tourist might eventually come and be slapped with a 100,000 baht fine. Imagine what they will say? Anyway, all-in-all a show of action at least.

Lets see what happens when they get to Pattaya and demand no more sewage into the sea. 

On 9/27/2020 at 5:59 PM, Deli said:

Major damage to coral reefs has be caused by natural phenomenons like too warm waters for too long time. However, dropping anchors from silly boat crews on corals or walking on them like the Chinese used to do, for sure does not help.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200408-the-middle-eastern-corals-that-could-survive-climate-change   more  damage  would  be  done  by  cooling oceans than warming

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190715164652.htm

where  does  Thailand send its waste  "The Bonaire coral reefs in the Caribbean Netherlands is a great example of effective nitrogen pollution mitigation. These coral reefs are beginning to recover following the construction of a new sewage treatment plant in 2011, which has significantly reduced nitrogen loading from septic tanks," said Lapointe.

Edited by bodga