World's youth rallies against climate change

snoop1130

6 hours ago, plentyofnuttin said:

If the explanation works, then, yes, it is that simple. No need to invoke the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

All work generates heat. That has nothing to do with the fact that climatologists don't invoke anthropogenic heat as a significant factor in global warming.  

The logical problem for me is if the sun's contribution is so large, and that of humans so small, what has happened to warm the oceans in the last 3 or 4 decades?

Back in the late 1700's, Friedrich Schiller postulated the butterfly effect in one of his short stories. What is worrying most scientists is a scenario such as the Greenland icecap suddenly melting, resulting in a complete loss of albedo in that region. An event like that would make coronavirus look like a tea party. For starters, say goodbye to Bangkok.

To me, heat is still the issue, irrespective of whether it is anthropogenic heat, or the knock-on effect of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bodga said:

and  how are w e gonna  produce that easily

Currently, it's produced by splitting it from methane ( CH4 ) which doesn't really resolve the carbon problem. When electrolysis using renewable solar energy becomes cost-competitive, plenty of hydrogen there for the asking. Oceans of it.

Science and economics frequently collide. Economists measure the cost of raw material, labour and plant in generating electricity. They do SFA in terms of measuring the environmental cost of the carbon dioxide said plant is generating.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, torturedsole said:

The climate change nonsense has thankfully fizzled out to nothing post-C19. I'm more interested in the possibility of mass starvation due to lockdown.  

As I consume my breakfast in a rural Thai village, while my Thai GF cooks a mussuman curry for me to take back to the condo, I'm more concerned about weight gain.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

When  I see a protest sign that says , (Leave the oil

in the ground.) I feel sorry for the Idiot, who would be

naked, and blind, if it was not for all the oil products.

Even the thread in all clothing is cloth and oil products.

The elastics in panties, brief, bras, are oil product. Forget

cell phones, tablets, laptops, bikes, cars and truck as even the

tires are oil product. Tesla and other electric cars have

more oil products in them, plus batteries are not reusable.

They never have been either. Dash boards in almost all

cars and trucks are oil products. Glasses are oil products,

especially the plastic framed ones. All windshields, or

wind screens are oil products. Yet I still see IDIOTS,

with their silly signs walking around like the fools,

and hypocrites that they are. This is my opinion of

some protest groups anyway. Guess that it why the

term  braindead exists.

Geezer

Yes, these greens have no idea how much they are dependent upon oil. 

But then they have no idea what the reality of the entire world is either. 

Or the basic laws of physics 

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The logical problem for me is if the sun's contribution is so large, and that of humans so small, what has happened to warm the oceans in the last 3 or 4 decades?

Back in the late 1700's, Friedrich Schiller postulated the butterfly effect in one of his short stories. What is worrying most scientists is a scenario such as the Greenland icecap suddenly melting, resulting in a complete loss of albedo in that region. An event like that would make coronavirus look like a tea party. For starters, say goodbye to Bangkok.

To me, heat is still the issue, irrespective of whether it is anthropogenic heat, or the knock-on effect of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions.

The sharp rise in greenhouse gases. This greenhouse effect of certain gases like CO2 was established in the 19th century. This is very old and established science.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

Please enlighten me. Are you posting sarcasm, or what you really believe? Difficult to tell.

9 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

And it might well be said that you have no understanding of the harmful effects of fossil fuels. According the the IMF, subsidies for fossil fuels amount to about 6 percent of total world GDP. Mainly this comes in the form of health costs incurred and paid for by governments and individuals due to the harmful effects of their combustion.

As for the basic laws of physics, are you referring to the effects of greenhouse gases which were proven and established by a 19 century physicist named John Tyndall? Even the cranks who used to be denying absolutely the effects of greenhouse gases are now conceding that they have some effect on global warming. The evidence is too overwhelming.

• Like 1

So plentyofnittun,  are you just a bike rider? Even so your tires are a combo of oil product and maybe a bit of rubber. Do you wear glasses?  The lens are not glass.    If you are defending the green wave better take off all the stuff you wear,use or drive like a car.  Oh  and if you live almost anywhere in the world, it is very far to walk anywhere.  Ask Gretta, the teen expert.

Geezer

On 9/27/2020 at 7:28 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

So plentyofnittun,  are you just a bike rider? Even so your tires are a combo of oil product and maybe a bit of rubber. Do you wear glasses?  The lens are not glass.

If you are defending the green wave better take off all the stuff you wear,use or drive like a car.  Oh  and if you live almost anywhere in the world, it is very far to walk

anywhere.  Ask Gretta, the teen expert.

Geezer

84 percent of petroleum is used for fuel. Let's start with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, huangnon said:

It's all cyclical, Arctic ice might start melting, but Antarctic coverage (90% of the world's ice) is actually increasing. Solar flares play a part also.

If you start seeing a massive sell-off of beach-front property around the world, then it's time to panic.

No, this time it's not cyclical. Actuall for the last 8000 years in this interglacial period, the climate had actually been cooling slightly until the advent of the industrial revolution. As for solar flares, they are posited to have a very mild effect favoring warming. Yet the sun's last few cycles have been exceptionally quiet. Despite that, the atmosphere and oceans have been warming at a very rapid rate. So if anything, the solar flare theory supports the fact of anthropogenic global warming. 

• Like 1

Well there is a good percentage of oil that is turned into gasoline, or diesel that fuels the majority of vehicles around the world, as most people who live in countries like Canada, USA, Australia, and other large countries, have many miles to travel and electric vehicles do not travel 2000 or more kms., or especially miles per day or two.  There are people who say we do not need oil and to leave it in the ground. Those are the ones I am talking about, look around and grow up, because yes we do need oil to build the other things that are made from it. Go on google and type in products made from oil and you will see what I am saying. without oil you would not be on your computer or laptop or tablet, or even cell phone.  Get it.

Geezer